Why is it that water tastes better from a glass than a cup?

nimh

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:32 am
Just one of those random questions that come to me on a slow day. I thought about posting it in General, but seriously - there must be some natural explanation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,674 • Replies: 12
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:44 am
When I was young, it seemed that water always tasted best out of a garden hose. Now I realize it was probably just the chemicals from the rubber.

Another youthful delusion shattered!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:46 am
water
as kids growing up in hamburg , my brother and i thought the water from public water faucets (they were like fire hydrants with a handle , and there was a metal cup attached by a chain) was absolutely great stuff .
our mother very much frowned upon us drinking water and we were told that "...you'll get lice in your tummy if you keep drinking water from the fountain !!!..." .
what i learned much later was , that the fear of drinking water dated back to the 1880's when a cholera epedemic swept through hamburg and killed about 20,000 people in a few weeks - that was before a public water-system had been built .
of course , we disreggarded those warnings and slurped the water as something special - "a forbidden fruit" .

and yes , i too thnk that water tastes better from a glass - tastes worst from a plastic mug imo .

also find that when we visit one of our provincial parks with good grundwater supply , the water and coffee/tea made with the local water tastes better - not as much chlorine !
hbg
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:35 am
I think everything tastes better in a glass. Like ice cold Coke. I think maybe it's the taste of the plastic that makes the water taste worse. Or maybe the plastic absorbs something from the water, changing its taste.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:36 am
I occasionally drink water out of the bottle but agree it tastes nicer in a glass.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:44 am
That comment about Coke reminds me that I've always thought Coke from glass bottles was significantly better than from a can or plastic. I wonder why?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:55 am
What do you mean by cup?

Plastic? Styrofoam? Ceramic coffee cup?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:22 pm
I think part of the experience of a good drink of water is the cool, smooth surface of the glass on your lips.

Ice water from a coffee cup just doesn't evoke the same pleasant sensations.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:37 pm
sozobe wrote:
What do you mean by cup?

Plastic? Styrofoam? Ceramic coffee cup?

I was thinking just a regular cup - so yeah, ceramic that would be then I guess - or from a mug (are mugs from ceramic too?)

I hadnt even thought about plastic - no, yeah, plastic also tastes worse, yes, but that's more intuitively understandable. But why would water taste better from a glass than from a mug or regular (coffee, tea) cup? And yet it does..

Blacksmith, I too think Coke taste better from a bottle than a can - I mean, if you drink it from the bottle or can, I dont think I can taste the difference once its poured out in a glass. I dont see much difference between a plastic or a glass bottle either tho, but a can is really worse, yeah. I always thought that - apart from the physical comfort about the drinking thing - it was about the gas. If you drink it from a can, the gas is all up there, too much.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:57 pm
I think that unless they're really new or have a really thick/ high-quality glaze, residue from other things you drink from ceramic cups sticks around (not necessarily visible), enough that you can barely taste it. I definitely notice that when I drink water out of an old mug that E.G. usually uses for coffee.

If the cup is high quality/ thick, in theory it should be the same as glass, since glaze IS glass.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:04 pm
Why is it that water tastes better from a glass than a cup?

It doesn't, you're delusional. We don't mind, however, and would never want you to feel badly about it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:13 pm
LOL! Well, thanks Set...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:17 pm
water
i'm sure even set might agree that this is one good looking glass of water ?
(oops , found it under "constipation in seniors" - never mind me)

http://www.irib.ir/health/image/Constipation-In-Seniors-821014/water_glass.jpg
0 Replies