I want to know something about the breakfast in Western area

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 01:40 am
Dear everyone,
I am a chinese girl who learn english in a chinese university.I am curious about some customs in Western countrys and the natural sight there.Please help me.Thank you!
WISH YOU HAPPY! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,136 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 03:57 am
What do you want to know about breakfast?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 04:31 am
oh boy, that's a large question.

It really depends on the region.....which area of the Western World are you talking about?

Francis can cover Europe, I'll take the US.

OK with you Francis? :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 05:01 am
It's Ok with me, please do begin...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:16 am
well.....

I'm eating wheat toast with jam right now, with calcium enhanced orange juice, lots of pulp....

sometimes I like oatmeal with a banana sliced in it...or a scrambled egg or two with sauteed mushrooms wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla

On weekends I love a big bowl of real yellow grits with cheese and sometimes tiny bits of breakfast sausage diced into it. yummmmmmm.....

And you......?

http://www.vanhollowpottery.com/Cheese%20Grits.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:20 am
Home fries, buttermilk biscuits and red-eye gravy, bacon, sausage (links or patties), three or four fried eggs, coffee . . . now that's breakfast ! ! !
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:22 am
http://www.fabuloustravel.com/gourmet/travel/brkfast/baconeggs.jpg

Kathyhingua, that's what I had this morning.

Plus a beer afterwards, but I don't think most Americans have beer with their breakfast.

But I'm a little different.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:24 am
Setanta wrote:
Home fries, buttermilk biscuits and red-eye gravy, bacon, sausage (links or patties), three or four fried eggs, coffee . . . now that's breakfast ! ! !

Set- Now that is breakfast for a huge person (or a smaller person, who is on vacation Laughing ).

I usually have an orange, a bowl of cold cereal with milk, and some juice for breakfast.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:26 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Set- Now that is breakfast for a huge person (or a smaller person, who is on vacation Laughing ).

OK, i'm a huge person (i forgot to mention peameal bacon and flapjacks), so sue me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:29 am
It must be Scrapple, fried crispy on the outside for about 2 mm into its crust. Topped with maple syrup. Serve this with 3 sunny -side up eggs, whole wheat buttered toast and a side of thinly sliced fried taters and onions. Accompanied by a FRESH SQUOZEN orange juice (Nunothat boxed ****) and a cup of house blend decaf. (Caffiene gives me heart skips).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:30 am
Que? peameal bacon?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:30 am
KATHYYINGHUA - Welcome to A2K Very Happy

Breakfast is a meal eaten in the US upon awakening. Often, working people eat only a small breakfast, "on the run", such as a cup of coffee, and a muffin. On the weekends, the breakfast is usually larger in some homes.

Here is a good website about breakfast around the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:34 am
Peameal bacon, aka back bacon, aka "Canadian" bacon (the 'Merican version of "Canadian" bacon bears absolutely no resemblance to back bacon) . . .

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/images/sliced_style.jpg

Great in a sammich, or just on the side of the plate at breakfast . . .

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/images/whole_roast.jpg

Great as a roast . . .

This was apparently orignally pickled, and then rolled in ground yellow pea meal. Mostly, though, you'll bet it rolled in yellow corn meal these days.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:35 am
An American company that wants to sell you "genuine Canadian Peameal Back Bacon."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:38 am
Schneiders, a large Canadian meat-processing company, wants you to buy their authentic peameal back bacon, which they say is rolled in actual peameal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:48 am
Never heard of the stuff. However, There is no bacon, save some canned styles, that I cannot be persuaded to scarf.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:49 am
I'm having oatmeal and coffee this morning. Alternating mornings, I have a bagel with cream cheese and coffee.

On Sunday, I cook eggs, sausage and toast, sometimes with hashbrowns. Or I cook french toast or pancakes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:55 am
farmerman wrote:
Never heard of the stuff. However, There is no bacon, save some canned styles, that I cannot be persuaded to scarf.

You'd love peameal bacon. When it is sliced (usually about 1/8" inch slices), you can put it in a non-stick skillet and fry it up without adding butter or oil. As it is a pickled meat, the brine leaches out as it cooks. Only a thin layer of fat is left on the pork, and that melts in with the brine liquid. It cooks up quickly and it is delicious. The St. Lawrence Market in Toronto has a stand that sells peameal sammiches very inexpensively, and they make a breakfast all by themselves . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:16 am
Wow Phoenix, that's a REALLY interesting link...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:24 am
I never knew that Nutella was a popular breakfast food in Belgium. That's three points for the Belgians! Laughing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutella
0 Replies