"Genetic Death": The Evolution Meat Grinder

Reyn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:21 am
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, fella!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:19 am
BBB, I picked up my little metal friend when I was working in Nigeria. Ive mentioned on some other threads that we were attacked by rebels during the periodic coups de tat that were always what made Nigeria such a " special" place in my mind. We were attacked and one of our guys was killed next to me from a combination of explosions and gunfire. We hid in side a drill table for a number of days). Wed take turns running for water. After it seemed like most of the rebels were gone(yhey only acted tough in big groups and heavily armed)We then drove out on a dozer with all of us sitting on the machine and with 3 dead bodies that , to this day, tyhe memories of which, make me gag whenever I smell something dead or rotting road kill, I will actually throw up. We left most all of our equipment there and the AID project financial officers, I almost strangled when they asked me for an accounting of equipment lost.

I was shot at then a grenade went off near us butI only got hit in the side above my appendix and in the left hand and arm where I lost two fingers and got the piece of metal in a defensive arm raise. My left hand is pretty shattered and lacking in feeling mostly , but what happend last week was a gradual loss of ALL feeling in my left hand and arm. Its difficult to explain how it felt. I was scared. I only thought I was having a stroke, then I started to fantasize that my face was going numb(it wasnt). Im just such a hypochondriac that If I read about any disease, I soon start showing symptoms.
The operation ws very simple but the outcome could have been serious had I ignored it (fat chance with my hypochondria). I was very active the day before and we were shearing some sheep and one ewe just bolted upright and pulled my hand and left arm with such a snap that my surgeon felt that whatever adhesions had been keeping the carbide from moving just snapped and , since it was near an important artery and nerve, they were concerned about cutting the artery if I were to bump my arm another time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:23 am
I must say that , when I lost my fingers and my hand was pretty boogered up, I was still about 3 days awy from a hospital. Our mediacl aid took care of me and kept me full of pain killer and even so, my hand was terribly infected and I almost lost it, but did not. So my encounters with the AID accountants was within the year following this asdventure, not at the same time.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:27 am
You're a hero in my book, farmerman. Hang in there, buddy!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:42 am
Indeed. I hope you get better.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:48 am
Embarrassed CAn we get back to trashing this thread?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:50 am
You know, as with all other threads I've posted in, I've completely forgotten what the premise was.

Something about Haldane's Dilemma, but surely I blew up Haldane's Dilemma in the Population genetics thread?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:06 pm
That won't mean anything to Gunga. He get's these screeds by e-mail, copies and pastes them here, and only hangs around long enough to fling some vitriol at those who subject them to the ridicule they deserve. You can bet you'll see the same drivel from him in various forms over and over again, just as soon as the email update service sends him the latest installment.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:51 pm
Farmerman: A man with a past, a fine prose style and a broad palette.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:19 pm
Glad to hear it went well, farmer. How is your arm recovering? any feeling restored? what's the prognosis?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:51 pm
dag, too early, Doc said it could be months, maybe even a year. So, Im not too much in ahurry for results. On the other hand , theres no pain at all.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:28 pm
You can type all this crap with one hand?

Joe(wow)Nation
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:34 pm
I hope that you get better, Farmerman. Then you can rebut EVERY SINGLE ONE of Gungasnake's quotes and show exactly why those quotes are incorrect. I am sure you can do that, can't you?

I am not as well read in the subject as Gungasnake but I have read "Darwin's Black Box" by the the biochemist Dr. Michael Behe, and am persuaded by his argument that Darwin did not understand biochemistry and was not able to answer questions such as how the modern eye evolved gradually from a simpler structure, not even beginning to explain where his starting point--the relatively simple light-sensitive spot came from.

Science does change its theories. It was only thirty years ago that a number of climatologists claimed that the earth was headed for a new ice age.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:36 pm
ItalMassaMortgato cites Behe . . . god, i'm crackin' up . . . FM will love that one . . . what a clown ! ! ! !
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:39 pm
I read the book. Did you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:45 pm
By the by, for the others here who are not brain-dead and for whom science is not a subject in which political doctrine plays a part, Behe's remarks about the structure of the eye, apart from being false, are just a rehash of the "watchmaker" analogy first advanced more than 300 years ago by Robert Hooke, but given its current name by the Reverend William Paley in his 1802 book, Natural Theology, or Evidences of the Existence and Attributes of the Deity collected from the Appearances of Nature--seven years before Darwin was born. It's a hoary old canard, first having been articulated by Cicero about 2000 years ago:

When you see a sundial or a water-clock, you see that it tells the time by design and not by chance. How then can you imagine that the universe as a whole is devoid of purpose and intelligence, when it embraces everything, including these artifacts themselves and their artificers?

Behe tarts the old whore up by calling her "irreducible complexity." He is a member of the Discovery Institute, the premier "intelligent design" propaganda organ. Behe is employed at Lehigh University, the Department of Biological Sciences at which university disputes Behe's claims. He's a shill for the creationist trojan horse--"intelligent design."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:46 pm
farmerman wrote:
BBB, I picked up my little metal friend when I was working in Nigeria. Ive mentioned on some other threads that we were attacked by rebels during the periodic coups de tat that were always what made Nigeria such a " special" place in my mind. We were attacked and one of our guys was killed next to me from a combination of explosions and gunfire. We hid in side a drill table for a number of days). Wed take turns running for water. After it seemed like most of the rebels were gone(yhey only acted tough in big groups and heavily armed)We then drove out on a dozer with all of us sitting on the machine and with 3 dead bodies that , to this day, tyhe memories of which, make me gag whenever I smell something dead or rotting road kill, I will actually throw up. We left most all of our equipment there and the AID project financial officers, I almost strangled when they asked me for an accounting of equipment lost.

I was shot at then a grenade went off near us butI only got hit in the side above my appendix and in the left hand and arm where I lost two fingers and got the piece of metal in a defensive arm raise. My left hand is pretty shattered and lacking in feeling mostly , but what happend last week was a gradual loss of ALL feeling in my left hand and arm. Its difficult to explain how it felt. I was scared. I only thought I was having a stroke, then I started to fantasize that my face was going numb(it wasnt). Im just such a hypochondriac that If I read about any disease, I soon start showing symptoms.
The operation ws very simple but the outcome could have been serious had I ignored it (fat chance with my hypochondria). I was very active the day before and we were shearing some sheep and one ewe just bolted upright and pulled my hand and left arm with such a snap that my surgeon felt that whatever adhesions had been keeping the carbide from moving just snapped and , since it was near an important artery and nerve, they were concerned about cutting the artery if I were to bump my arm another time.

Oh my goodness!!!

When are you writing your memoir, Farmerman?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:55 pm
The Wikipedia article on "the watchmaker analogy," a.k.a., irreducible complexity.

The Wikipedia article on Michael Behe.

The Wikipedia article on the Discovery Institute.

You know, ItalMassaMortGato, if you weren't so prone to lose it, and get banned, you might have learned long ago that Behe, the Discovery Institute and "irreducible complexity" were all outed here years ago, and laughed to the scorn which they merit. You and Gunga Din should be good buddies, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:59 pm
Joe-I cn still move my le hand a bit and can hit the caplock and some letters, but even with my straight jacket. Ive made my seat higher .

Bernard. Weve already shoved many f these quotes back onto gunga and Im not looking forward to re-hashing. Look up some of the old "slam" topics on evolution taht gung posts. Hes never come up with any new ones and , as he sayid to Wolf or eorl."I dont do work for lazy people"

In all cases , (except where the quotes were by Creation "scientists" (at that point I am reluctant to use the adjective "real scientists" when speaking of those dudes) , the quotes were out of context or were totally lacking in any context at all. Like the quote from Darwin about "missing intermediate fossisl" The very point that gungas source was making was not the point that Darwin was. Darwin devoted an entire chapter to the state of "incompleteness of the geologic record". Darwin made a very cogent argument that most of the terrestrial animals live on an erosion, (not a depositional) surface. So when someone dies on the ground, usually geologic forces favor wiping away the record by erosional forces. Most fossil record favors deposition and these wre few in the record at Darwins time (mostly because the International Stratigraphic Nomenclature committees hadnt even been formed yet and it was nigh impossible to correlate rocks of the same age between continents, let alone determine why) We do jknow much more today.
Also, if you notice that most of gungas "recent' quotes are almost 20 and 30 years old, hardly what science calls "recent"

I detect some "ole time religion" in your writing. Shall we look forward to you joining the discussion as a Creationist advocate.
(Its my job to get the coffee and donuts).

Joe-i just noted that i hit shift with my left little finger and the caps lock with the same one and itype the e and a and s with my left index. I have to watch the keys now because I cant feel the pressure even. Its kinda weird but Ive already accomodted even withw the "restraint'
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:00 pm
Set, is Bernard someone we should remember? Is he an Orthodox Gungite?
0 Replies