0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:31 am
You do?

Then you are most welcome to, Squinney! Very Happy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:31 am
I've grown various citrus in pots here in our cold zone 5. I keep them as large bonsai so they aren't too much trouble to move. I've had very good luck with meyer lemon and key lime. You do have to be careful about watering and fertilizer (Hollytone). Citrus likes a pinch of epsom salt a couple of times a year If you're going to do them in barrels you can easily make them movable by making an attached wood base with rolling casters (parts available at places like Home Depot or Lowes, some assembly required). It's a nuisance if you have a lot of stairs, you have to use planks and someone with good upper body strength to move them.

For cold areas you can grow true miniature (smaller than dwarf) varieties of apples, peaches and cherries in barrels and not have to take them in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:43 am
Thanks for that Green Witch. I can see that I'm going to have to prepare the potting soil carefully. None of the packaged "potting mix" sounds up to the task! I live in a temperate zone so the pot will remain in a fixed spot. (in some yet to be decided on place in my small backyard) It's sound like a Meyer might be the go. It seems to be one of the most hardy & a prolific fruiter?
0 Replies