What Wallpaper Do You Have on Your Computer?

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:50 am
When I first got my computer a number of years ago I tried all sorts of wallpaper.........and quickly removed them. I settled on a dark bluish green background that is restful, and allows me to see everything quite easily. (What the heck. Maybe I have a "thing" for green!)

I have a great LCD monitor, so everything is nice and clear. The problem was that I found the wallpaper confusing. Sometimes I will see a gorgeous picture, put it on my desktop. I invariably remove it in less than 15 minutes.

What do you use as a background on your computer?

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:51 am
I use a plain black background. Wallpaper slows down your computer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:53 am
I have had a lot of wallpaper images. Most of them are either plants or nebulae.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:56 am
Whatever works...I used to play around with it but, found that yep---mostly just takes up space I dont see for any length of time really. I have a plethera of images for my screensaver though...thats nice.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:57 am
I change my wallpaper with my whim. Usually I will stick with one for about two months. Lately, I have found many I like on Cognitive Distortion at http://www.cognitivedistortion.com but I have also steered away from those that have animation and distortion effects such as rippling water and raindrops. Those are the worst offenders to me as to tying up your resources. My fav wallpaper au courrant is one I copied from http://www.neowin.net in the forum there on wallpaper. It's fun to see the monthly thread where posters put up their wallpapers. Lots of technical questions get answered there and good fun for browsing. It looks to me that wallpaper selection is very very personal.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:58 am
various collages come and go (b/c of the speed issue that craven notes). at the moment it's

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQCvBMwWPGSR6xUhgOp9KFkruJYLzTxlak137bUrNeGlwRNwvj8KioqRybzpzDcK71LEaJbYl7wy4N6SY7UxcIs651B2SQpIGEZDld29!HPPv*THhn2UKg/earthmoutheye.JPG?dc=4675420921924253971
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:07 pm
In the last ten minutes, I fiddled with two different wallpapers. One was stars. The other was a gorgeous blue swirly pattern that I found in Cobalt's link, "Cognitive Distortion". Loved them both, but went back to the aqua. All that "stuff" drove me nuts!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:07 pm
Here's a link into that wallpaper forum. You will have to click on the links within replies to see the wallpaper for each contributor.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=7b7a9a2f8ffce6528f0585befa72c3c6&act=ST&f=7&t=75983&st=0

Since this is a long URL, I am unsure that it will "go" as an active link using the Quick Reply as I am doing. Apologies if you have to cut and paste to get to that wallpaper forum.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:08 pm
Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans album cover artwork.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:29 pm
sunset scene of the harbour in Hamburg

it makes me feel at home
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:31 pm
http://home.attbi.com/~fishnderby/gif/face.gif
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:39 pm
A painting by George Caleb Bingham. One of his moody ones, "Boatmen on the Missouri". Three guys in shabby but colorful clothes, steering a small barge with a load of wood.

It may slow the computer, but it's very atmosperic...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 01:20 pm
A picture of the cat, which came out better than I expected. You can just make out my husband's shoulder and hand holding her. The colors and design are unobtrusive, and she looks like she's telling you to go stuff it.

What I do like are screensavers. I have a couple of Dutch ones, and Walter Hinteler put me onto some great German sites a while ago. That part of it is hit and miss with me, as I don't speak German, but they're a lot of fun.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:11 pm
"Cowboy Landscapes"

by Brad Braune
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:18 pm
BTW, you can use a website as your desktop. I once designed a desktop replete with all my favorite links etc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:31 pm
A picture of the sozlet, updated every couple of months. That's what E.G. uses at work, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:37 pm
I downloaded a beautifully realistic marine aquarium screensaver to my work computer the other day - our horrendously abusive boss has, sadly, returned - having been fired from the other job he found - and I needeed something mega-soothing.

Now nobody ever leaves my office, they are all transfixed.

Hope it loads onto a floppy when they come to swap computers for new 'uns!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:44 pm
I had the aquarium! Save yourself! Get rid of it! It's WAY too transfixing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:56 pm
LOL! I NEED it!
SealPoet

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 07:00 pm
Well... lessee... At home I've got a pastoral field and blue sky courtesy of those fine, fine folk at MicroSquash. Too lazy to change it, and besides, I don't use this computer hard enough for the time lag to be noticable.

But at work... my working computer(s) have no wallpaper, and the one I use for e-mail and paperwork has a picture of a chimpanzee as a jet engine mechanic. I alternate that with an image of my neice cut and paste into Wyeth's 'Christina's World'. Looks like she was painted there instead of Christina, but that's the kind of nonsense my brother does for a living...
0 Replies