Dinner tonight - or last night.

FBM

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
I haven't worked up the nerve yet. This isn't the sort of thing that you rush into... Confused
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:56 pm
@FBM,
Yeah, I don't blame you!
FBM

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 07:58 pm
@CalamityJane,
^^ I got as far as opening the package and looking at the contents. Then I put it in the fridge and got some fried chicken...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 12:34 am
OK, the feet parts were great. The bunghole parts less so. However, the sauce was able to mask about 95% of the butthole flavor.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:37 am
@FBM,
How are you with tripe? similar foodstuff, me thinks.
I've only had it once, in a french restaurant in New York; it was ok, but I couldn't finish the whole bowl. Re menudo, I've never tried it, should.

One of the funnier pieces of writing for me was a long ago New Yorker article by Calvin Trillin (good writer) who told about making his own tripe, from, er, scratch. I remember laughing myself silly re his dealing with the procedure in his kitchen, but haven't been able to chase that particular article down since then.
FBM

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 09:36 am
@ossobuco,
Tripe ranks right up (down, really) there with chitlins. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/puke.gif
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:40 am
Last night the Rican made chicken with a mushroom sauce, wild rice and zucchini. Tonight we’re all going out to dinner. It’s Alicia’s night and she wants to go to Inka Mama’s, I think she just likes the name although the food is very good, Peruvian food.

Tomorrow for Sunday dinner I think I’ll make another pot roast with potatoes and carrots.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:59 am
@jcboy,
Last night, something new - farro soup. I had made the farro, a first time effort, a week ago, divided it, and froze the left over. The farro meal then was rich, thick, chewy grains with more usual additions like greens and chile flakes and garlic and cheese. This time - the rest of the farro with chicken broth, garlic, black pepper, caramelized onions, greens (prev. cooked collard),a bit of roasted anaheim chile, mild italian pork sausage, some but not too much tomato sauce. I scarfed it up. And, I'm really liking farro. In this case, despite being called farro, I think it's actually a packaged spelt grain (or so I've read online), but they're closely related. Bob's Red Mill, if anyone is interested.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:46 am
@ossobuco,
I love farro and since I am not so fond of rice, I usually substitute with farro.
It's healty, it's filling and what's not to like, right? Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:50 am
@CalamityJane,
Right!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 07:49 pm
We had a pleasant dinner out tonight then stopped next door at the candy store and picked up some dessert. We ended up getting a half a pound of fudge. The kids should be bouncing off the walls any minute now.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/10emypx.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 12:26 am
technically it was a slightly late lunch, but the meal was filling

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XfC9LFSRk5c/UgQY9Z5TigI/AAAAAAAAArA/vicROF-Uhqw/s1600/Chashu+Ramen+-+Ajisen+Ramen+-+Rowland+Heights,+CA.jpg

went to http://www.ajisen.ca/ with my best friend after a trip to the Textile Museum More Than Yardage sale

we each had a bowl of their house special ramen and shared an app of Japanese-style Fried Chicken

____

just like in the pic, our eggs were slightly overdone - they should be closer to runny

but still a deeeelish and super-filling meal
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 08:53 am
rest of the farro (etc.) soup: still delish. The grains themselves are tasty.
jcboy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I have the roast in the oven with the carrots. I decided not to put the potatoes in; instead I’m making mashed potatoes and a gravy out of the juices from the roast.

After dinner they can have another piece of the fudge we bought.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:17 pm
@jcboy,
So, like, are the kids gaining weight? I know you know the need for exercise with all that good eating.
jcboy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:03 pm
@ossobuco,
They both have gained a little weight but the pediatrician and nurse Ratched both say they’re at the expected weight for their size. They were both a little thin when they first came home. Alex Martin has a little belly going on but that’s all baby fat. Razz
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:09 pm
@jcboy,
Very Happy
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 01:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Steak and rice bowl from Pita Grill. Eating early before tonight's taping of the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 07:32 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/20150602_194457.jpg
https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=%EC%88%9C%EB%8C%80%EA%B5%AD%EB%B0%A5&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1024&bih=635&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wa5tVZzvEIHOmwWdnICgCA&ved=0CBsQsAQ

Them chillies (bottom left) had me sweating. A very pleasant surprise. 순대 is a bit like blood sausage or boudin, and there's a soup version. There's rice in the soup already in this particular restaurant, but I usually get it in a bowl on the side. Also in the soup is slices of lung, ears and sometimes tripe, but not this time.

They serve the extra spices separately, so you can tweak it to your preference. White dish second from bottom left is a fermented tiny shrimp sauce, to the right of that is gochujang, red pepper paste. On the bottom right is sliced liver with salt. You don't add that to the soup. You dab the liver (cooked) in the salt and chow it down directly. The dish on the upper right is mu kimchee, a variety made from those huge Asian radishes pickled in vinegar and red pepper paste.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 07:40 am
@FBM,
wow! I've never seen kimchee like that.