Dinner tonight - or last night.

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 05:49 pm
I'd like to share a disaster from over the weekend.

I bought some fresh purple hull peas (they are like black eyed peas) and put them in the crock pot with chicken broth and some other spices overnight.
I was then going to add carmalized onion, and a dash of apple cider vinegar.

When the onions were almost done, I got the bright idea to add a little garlic.
One crushed clove would have been plenty.
I was thinking about something and found myself peeling and crushing at least 5 cloves. I thought "Oh well" and pushed the onions to one side, put a bit of olive oil in the pan and lightly sauted them. Then added the peas to the mix.

What a mistake. The garlic was so overwhelming I had to put the whole thing down the disposal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 05:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
I made the first one, in my way, since I already had cooked stuff in the freezer. Oh, lordyaswas, it is so good.
I added probably more chile than others might (about 2 tbs/ordinary crushed piquine). Such peppery temperature can vary, obviously. For me it turned out just right, not a big blast. I had added more diced yam than russet potato, both with skins, my caramelized red onions had been made with balsamic vinegar so I skipped limes, and so on. I didn't need oil since I didn't need it for the processing instructions.

Caramba!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 06:00 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Nope, that's not internal bleeding.

Thanks chai.
You lead a colorful life. Very Happy
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 06:11 pm
@panzade,
I also recommend you not be wearing a white shirt, or actually anything you are fond of, while eating them. I just sliced the beets up thinly to arrange on a plate, and rinsed the knife off. Just the thin slick of juice on the knife temporarily made the sink look like a murder scene.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 06:23 pm
@panzade,
One of my remaining childhood squalks is beets. I probably only had them once, probably canned, and that was it forevermore.

I know better, but the avoidance is still there. If and when I do beets, it will be that I want to check out the greens first.

ehBeth has extolled them and I listen and she has been gradually breaking me down by many descriptions, and now Chai is all for them.
I may have to give up.
farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 06:42 pm
@ossobuco,
we had cold asparagus with a homemade dressing. Asparagus is from our garden and theyre as thick as pine logs. If you just break em off as they grow, you dont have to do anything really dumb (like peel them). When I saw Julia Child peel her asparagus I thought"What a douche bag is this woman"
Then she started talking about "buying asparagus". Asparagus is like sweet corn. It should be dumped into the boiling pot while still screaming.

Some sliced hard boiled eggs with a little wasabi and that ws all we needed. Course we hadda hunk of shoofly pie for dessert

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:19 pm
@farmerman,
huh. I like my asparagus spears really thin. I don't peel them either, just break them off where they seem to want to break.
farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:21 pm
@chai2,
thats the secret. When theyre really fresh and still dripping at the break, th biguns are just as tender as the thins

We only steam em till they green up but still have a stiffy.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
grilling pork burgers and mushrooms
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:35 pm
@farmerman,
the first food type thread I started at Abuzz was about asparagus - whether people bend/break or cut them
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Wow Beth. I'll bet that was a hot debate.

Seriously.
panzade

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:42 pm
At a restaurant I like em stiff and crispy(You'll never find wan and limpy asparagus at a good restaurant)

To amuse the children at the table(they're usually uber-bored)
I do my panzade - the - sword - swallower routine.

The parents are not amused
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:55 pm
@chai2,
It was. It was much more popular than my first thread .... "death to lawns"
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:58 pm
@ehBeth,
OOOOOO.....Death to Lawns!

Yesssss.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:04 pm
@ehBeth,
I wonder if I saw that, as I would have been in agreement. I was only there for part of a year. In memory, it was longer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 04:52 am
@panzade,
yes, tiffy asprgus so that each onne is a finger food. We love em that way. My om used to cook the crap out of em so for years I never liked asparqgus.

In the spring we usually get shad roe, and wrap em in bacon then slowly do them in the oven. Serve this with saspargus and a bernaise sauce.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 04:53 am
@ehBeth,
never cut asprgus. We go out to the garden and bend em til they break off. They are most tender that way.
margo

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 06:14 am
@farmerman,
They sound wonderful, but....

I can't quite reach your garden from here! Sad
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 07:52 am
@margo,
In a few weeks, you'll be close enough to take a quick day trip out to help fman in his harvest Smile
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 03:57 pm
It’s Taco Tuesday! The Puerto Rican will be making ground beef soft taco’s with avocado, tomatoes, cheese, homemade salsa and Spanish rice.