Dinner tonight - or last night.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:16 pm
spicy (you know me) sauteed shrimp on a bed of volcano rice - I'll get my veggies manana.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:40 pm
@FBM,
then I won't tell you that I'm now scavenging for something chocolatey to go with my tea.

FBM

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 09:03 pm
@ehBeth,
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/lalala_1.gif
ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 09:11 pm
@FBM,
on the upside for you, you didn't have to do the ass-blaster during boot camp

I deserve chocolate after that
FBM

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 09:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm a little bit afraid to ask what an ass-blaster is... Confused
ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 09:33 pm
@FBM,
15 - 20 minute hardcore glute shimmy at ever increasing speed

tonight we were blasting to the odd sounds of a Turkish and Danish hip-hop duo (is there really such a thing?)
FBM

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 09:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah. OK, then. That I can understand. Last night was leg night in the gym for me.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 01:19 am
@FBM,
How did it taste?
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 01:21 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I'm a little bit afraid to ask what an ass-blaster is... Confused

Over here it's a Chicken Vindaloo with three pints of IPA.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 01:54 am
@Lordyaswas,
Laughing on both accounts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:53 am
@InfraBlue,
anything carbonara has me right there. Its my favorite of the Italian dishes. Can you direct me to the place on A2K where those instructions were.

what kinda meats do you use?
I like it wth rigatoni which are "rifled Penne pasta"
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:11 am
@farmerman,
I'm sorry, fm, but as you are still recovering from being poorly, the A2K management has limited your intake to Highland Spring Water and 400g of lightly boiled cruciform vegetables three times a day.
Please come back and ask again next Monday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:15 am
@farmerman,
I tried to look that up in search, in case infra blue doesn't see your question. No luck though there were 3 pages of posts mentioning carbonara, but I do remember someone saying just how to make it relatively recently. It was after I had made some proclamation on not liking raw egg, and someone replied re how I shouldn't worry, if you do it right, you'll like it.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:42 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

anything carbonara has me right there. Its my favorite of the Italian dishes. Can you direct me to the place on A2K where those instructions were.

what kinda meats do you use?
I like it wth rigatoni which are "rifled Penne pasta"

As a matter of fact, I followed your tip on using half of the usual amount of water to boil the pasta to get the water extra starchy for the sauce.

I used bacon and shrimp. My wife wanted shrimp 'cause that's what Olive Garden puts in their carbonara. They use cream in theirs. Mine was straight up eggs. I also used bell peppers.

It's in the Bacon Factoids thread.
FBM

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:51 am
Tonight, chicken and rice, one of the few things I can cook pretty well that doesn't come in a box. Ingredients: chicken, rice, salt and pepper. When I'm feeling like a wild-ass, bl0w-out night, I add margarine. Somebody hold me back. I need to recognize my limitations here.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:07 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I tried to look that up in search, in case infra blue doesn't see your question. No luck though there were 3 pages of posts mentioning carbonara, but I do remember someone saying just how to make it relatively recently. It was after I had made some proclamation on not liking raw egg, and someone replied re how I shouldn't worry, if you do it right, you'll like it.

Yep, that was farmerman.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 01:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
I noticed the bell peppers. I like the carbonra from a restaurant called "THE MILTONIAN", an Italian joint in Milton Del.
They use (I think) hunks of prosciutto and bacon. The auce is the secret and I know its not all creamy like they serve at many chain Itlin places. I think they make an egg n oil sauce with onion and garlic to urround the meat.

AS in all really great dishes "meat Is just there for a flavor". Its not the point of the whole thing.
(One of the reasons I hate meatballs its almost like a meatloaf)

Today at lunch, I had a BLT from a little joint in Rising Sun Md. I was reflecting on my sammich when the "meat Is just for flavor" thing hit me.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:09 pm
@farmerman,
Here is the true carbonara recipe:
8 oz. Guanciale, cut into ¼" cubes (may substitute Italian 'pancetta' if guanciale is unavailable)
if necessary, 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (highest quality available)
1 lb. regular-sized imported Italian dried spaghetti noodles (do not use 'spaghettini', 'angel hair' or thin spaghetti)
3 Tbsp. sea salt (for the pasta water), freshly ground, if possible
4 jumbo egg yolks only, at room temperature -- for a greater amount of servings, you might use 6 yolks!
1-¼ cups freshly-grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or half Pecorino Romano and half Parmigiano-Reggiano)
Freshly-cracked black pepper (generous amount)
Optional: An extra egg yolk per person to top each serving of carbonara to 'stir in'.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 11:28 pm
@CalamityJane,
In all my time in italy, I never heard of guanciale. I'll have to go back to Parma, a city I like, spent days in, to check this out. You are likely right, that it may exist branded there now.

Highest quality olive oil available, so, you are going to fry it? That is dumb.

Don't use spaghettini. Please, whoever said this, **** yourself. If you were so pure, you'd mention settings on the machina.

Not you, c. jane.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 02:35 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Don't use spaghettini. Please, whoever said this, **** yourself.

I'm with you there, that nasty herby stuff is a corruption. I prefer spaghetti made the original, old fashioned way.

http://www.thedrum.com/uploads/drum_basic_article/141053/main_images/New%20Spaghetti_400g%20with%20tomoato%20shift_0.jpg