ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:18 pm
@FBM,
ah...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:18 pm
@FBM,
we need more details! while we have a decent Koreatown here, I haven't seen a lot of those dishes
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:20 pm
@FBM,
tell me about stinky tofu. why? when I was in Korea on a job, we were taken to some places that had this stuff and I wasn't very friendly with it. Some ,I thought, was more vile than others. Or was it Taipei?
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:21 pm
@FBM,
I went to the only North Korean restaurant outside of North Korea - Amsterdam! That certainly was an eye opener. The food was good, but despite 7 courses not much at all, yet the price was very capitalistic 70 Euro per person. We were entertained by girls dancing and singing in national dresses and one person filmed everything. I think we're on a billboard somewhere in North Korea now Smile
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
Oh farmerman, they have great food in South Korea - you just have to have some locals treat you to their favorite places.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
seafoods were excellent and I know I liked the different fermented cabbage and that sort, but I only remember bad stuff like stinky tofu, pin dons, durian fruits and dead snakes in a glass. I may be confusing Taiwan with Korea.
Breakfast. not so much.
FBM

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:27 pm
Huh...Closing in on 3:30 a.m. here. Fading fast. Will have to pick this up on the morrow...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:22 pm
I just picked up some fresh Tilapia for dinner. I think I’ll slice a lemon, fry the slices in some olive oil then place them on top of the fish and bake the Tilapia.

Going to have it with rice and fresh steamed broccoli.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:33 pm
@jcboy,
Have you fried lemon before?
I've roasted chicken with squeezed lemon a lot of times and that has been swell, and so has stuffing the chicken with lemons. It's just that I remember my ex, who was a good cook, once thought he'd try putting whole lemons in boiling water for a not very long time. Why, I don't remember, probably to speed things up, but I remember that he then squeezed the juice into the dish of whatever and that ruined it, the lemon was weird tasting. But I'm curious, fried might be fine and delicious.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, says here to blanch them first, because of the pith -

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016815-pasta-with-fried-lemons-and-chile-flakes
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I haven't but I watched this video of Chef Ramsay cooking salmon and he fries slices of lemon them places them on top and inside the salmon. I'm going to try it out Cool

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 06:34 pm
@jcboy,
That NYT site said it only takes a few minute for blanching the slices.

Well, hey, if Ramsay didn't blanch, go for it..
jcboy

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 07:14 pm
@ossobuco,
My fish is ready to go into the oven. I’ll bake it at 325 for about 35 minutes.

Should be okay.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2isyqts.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2lnd26a.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 07:54 pm
@jcboy,
skip the fish

I'll just have lemon butter tonight

dance class has left me ravenous again

must find food
FBM

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:10 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

we need more details! while we have a decent Koreatown here, I haven't seen a lot of those dishes

That blackish dish is blood sausage. It's stuffed with rice, diced veggies, spices and, of course, blood. It reminded me of Cajun boudin. In the South, they use rice noodles instead of whole grain, so the northern version is more like boudin.

The tannish wraps stuffed with rice are the 인조고기밥, which means 'fake meat with rice.' It resembles southern dishes less than the others. I'm pretty sure it's unique to the North.

You can barely see a dish with red dipping sauce in the top of that first photo. It's got 고추장 (gochujang), chopped chili peppers, sesame oil and some other things I couldn't recognize. It had a decent bite to it, but not what I'd call all that spicy. The refugee showed us that you dip the blood sausage in it, but for the other dishes, you pick some up with your chopsticks and rub it on. That's so that the rice doesn't fall out in the sauce, I suppose.
FBM

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

tell me about stinky tofu. why? when I was in Korea on a job, we were taken to some places that had this stuff and I wasn't very friendly with it. Some ,I thought, was more vile than others. Or was it Taipei?

I don't know of anything in Korea that I'd call 'stinky tofu.' Maybe that was Taipei...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I went to the only North Korean restaurant outside of North Korea - Amsterdam! That certainly was an eye opener. The food was good, but despite 7 courses not much at all, yet the price was very capitalistic 70 Euro per person. We were entertained by girls dancing and singing in national dresses and one person filmed everything. I think we're on a billboard somewhere in North Korea now Smile

They've got a few of those in Cambodia, too! Only I'm told that they don't allow filthy capitalist aggressor pig-dogs like me to dine there. Wink
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

seafoods were excellent and I know I liked the different fermented cabbage and that sort, but I only remember bad stuff like stinky tofu, pin dons, durian fruits and dead snakes in a glass. I may be confusing Taiwan with Korea.
Breakfast. not so much.

Fermented cabbage - check.
Stinky tofu - ??
Pin dons - ??
Durian - Not in SK. Thailand/SE Asia.
Dead snakes in glass - check.
Breakfast - Yeah, SK breakfast isn't much to wake up to. Rice, kimchee and soup for brekkie. Blerg.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:21 pm
@FBM,
excellent details

I have some questions to ask the Korean folks who run the breakfast diner near the office here.

thank you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:26 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Breakfast - Yeah, SK breakfast isn't much to wake up to. Rice, kimchee and soup for brekkie. Blerg.

Set fondly remembers a Korean breakfast dish - rice wrapped in an omelette - from his days there.

http://mykoreankitchen.com/2007/04/30/omelet-rice-omurice/

https://popcookbook.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/2908497435_11.jpg
0 Replies