Dinner tonight - or last night.

Ragman

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 10:34 am
We had Thai food last night our night out. Sushi for dinner and then this morning woke up to solar eclipse with sushi.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 10:58 am
@panzade,
I made them. The fillings turned out great, each one a little different, but I don't like the big square egg roll sheets either, and managed to figure out why - since I bake them instead of hot fry them, the cornstarch on the dough sheets is still not cooked enough. Next time, I'll "saute" them in relatively little oil. I think.

Last night's dinner - chicken with chopped up spaghettini soup, with this and that thrown in to veggie it up. It was leftover Bugialli lemon chicken, so a little bit different from blah.

Tonight - who knows, the day is young. Maybe I'll thaw the last bit of pork adovado and throw in some prev cooked garbanzo beans and rice.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 11:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That sounds good, but I've lived life untrammeled so far by sauerkraut. Tried a taste of it once at a not good restaurant, so I don't know yet if I'd like the real thing.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 12:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
the cornstarch on the dough sheets is still not cooked enough

Huh Who'd a thunk?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:44 pm
a soup flat with a stack of

http://i-store.walmart.ca/images/WMTCNPE/154/289/154289_Large_1.jpeg

some

http://www.gourmet-food.com/ProductImages/Goose_Liver_Pate_SchallerWeber_P072011.jpg

and some chunks of

http://www.cheesesupply.com/images/P-13-062.jpg

and a handful of

http://1tess.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/stir-fry-vegetables_1845.jpg

pretty tasty way to start the long weekend
glitterbag

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 09:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I made a pot of chili con carne, hot and spicy. Before i ladle out the chili, I shred some provolone into a 3 oz lump in the bowl, ladle the hot chili over the cheese, zap it 30 seconds in microwave then stir it up and enjoy with a nice red wine, or frosty beer. Sometimes I use good cheddar, usually not too sharp, but sometimes uber sharp is good.
panzade

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 10:25 pm
@glitterbag,
I can't handle spicy anymore...tomato, red wine and spices give me....agita(from the Italian dialect "acidus" or heartburn.)

I cool down the sauce with a cup of IPA beer and substitute the hamburger with Chorizo(Spanish Sausage)

I do the same thing with the cheese ,though.
alex240101

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:40 am
I will be picking up edible items, that for one reason or another, tie into a new year. So far I have pickled herring, and some cut of meat fondue.
Please share any and all new years food items.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 02:20 pm
@alex240101,
Not working on my New Year's menu yet - though herring salad is pretty much always on the menu .

Right now, I've got carrots boiling - first step in a potato/carrot/fennel mash. I think I'm going to make an onion/garlic/garlic sausage topping. If we don't hoover it down right away, I'm going to bake it.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 06:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Baked and enjoyed. Tasty and deceptively healthy.

Fennel adds such a nice flavour to things.

(edit: I layered everything in a loaf pan - first some of the mash, then some crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs/spices, then a handful of shredded cheese, then more mash, then the sausage/onion/garlic saute, then more mash )
Rockhead

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 06:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I did the ham and green bean soup thing.

not bad.

and the giant roasting pan is no longer filling the bottom shelf of the fridge...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 06:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Not bad.

When Set says not bad, I know it's actually a five-star meal Laughing

It took me a while to figure that out.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 06:52 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll do some things differently next time, but I could serve it to friends and get away with it.

my standards are kinda high.

undoubtedly not as high as dude's...

it's a good way to off the end of the ham. one more reason to go bone in.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 07:03 pm
@Rockhead,
so how did you end up doing it?
I need to buy some green beans.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 07:14 pm
@panzade,
Listening on that.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 07:18 pm
@ehBeth,
pretty basic.

ham bone (with too much meat left on it to start)

water, garlic cloves, an onion. salt and pepper.

next time Ima let the ham go without the fresh green beans for a while. then start the potatoes an hour from finish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 07:23 pm
Tonight is a concoction of cheapo frozen chopped broccoli, which means to me too many stems, and yes, I've pickled stems - and garlic and tinned anchovies and a couple of shakes of chile powder, one Chimayo, and another some market stuff where the brand doesn't describe. The brand that doesn't describe is Bueno, which I'll be avoiding. Olive oil and some butter.

All that with linguine, maybe some shaved sharp provolone. I watch that, I'd rather eat it straight.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 08:45 pm
three slices of " Vollkornbrot = whole grain rye bread " ,
liverwurst ,
a few slices of kolbassa ,
" laughing cow " creamcheese .

( i'll definitely need a digestive - probably Underberg - at bedtime . )
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 09:06 am
I just returned from the market where I bought a nice roast for dinner tonight. The recipe calls for a ¼ cup of red wine and I didn’t have any so I picked up a couple of bottles. The cashier took them away because I forgot you can’t buy alcohol on Sundays before 11am. Sons a bitches.
jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 10:48 am
@jcboy,
Well I went back to the market to get the wine, actually I forgot the mushrooms anyway. I discovered they had Lineman’s cabernet sauvignon on sale, 4 bottles for twenty bucks, not a bad deal plus .20 off a gallon because of my Winn Dixie card.

I know I’m Jewish Cool
0 Replies