Dinner tonight - or last night.

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:16 am
Be honest.

Forget "cuisine".

No need to impress.

What did you really have for dinner tonight/last night?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 96 • Views: 413,118 • Replies: 8,029

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:18 am
Like most days: sandwiches and some fruit.

(Traditionally, Germans don't have a hot meal in the evening - besides going out, or having guests etc)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:19 am
Me: left-overs: a cold chicken leg & some cold roast potato & pumpkin. Cooked on Saturday.

Exciting, huh? Sad

I had other plans, but .......

I was so tired I could have eaten almost anything, I tell you!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:19 am
Last night I had some crab rangoon with some chocolate covered raisins when I was done :-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Like most days: sandwiches and some fruit.

(Traditionally, Germans don't have a hot meal in the evening - besides going out, or having guests etc)

That was quick, Walter!

And how very sensible & healthy! Stuffing yourself full of food at night isn't the most brilliant idea, is it?

So what was in the sandwiches, hmmmm?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:24 am
Serano ham, French mountain salami, Swiss Emmantal and Appenzell (raw milk) cheese - noz in the sandwiches actually, but each on half a slice of organic dark bread (and the fruit was organic as well).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:25 am
Montana wrote:
Last night I had some crab rangoon with some chocolate covered raisins when I was done :-)

Crab Rangoon? Sounds exotic!

Made by your own fair hands?

Tell me about it! (& I can dream!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Serano ham, French mountain salami, Swiss Emmantal and Appenzell (raw milk) cheese - noz in the sandwiches actually, but each on half a slice of organic dark bread (and the fruit was organic as well).

No wonder you look so darn healthy, Walter! (I should have done something like that!)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
We barbecued. Smile

Veg burgers, chicken, turkey franks, roast taters, some veggies, side salad, pickles. Plus, while you're barbecuing, you must drink beer.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:29 am
reheated leftover pork roast with spuds and onions.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:29 am
jespah wrote:
We barbecued. Smile

Veg burgers, chicken, turkey franks, roast taters, some veggies, side salad, pickles. Plus, while you're barbecuing, you must drink beer.

Beer. Of course!

And yum! (I'm glad you didn't attempt to cook in that saucepan, jespah! :wink: )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:31 am
dyslexia wrote:
reheated leftover pork roast with spuds and onions.

At least you heated yours, dys!

Any salad with that?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:31 am
I wish I knew how to make it myself, but it's up there on the list of things I need to learn.
It's a chinese thing I think and it's on the same idea as a wonton, but it's stuffed with a cream cheese crab filling.
They don't sell them in the chinese restaurants here, but they do sell them frozen at our local grocery store.
Not as good as the ones in the chinese restaurants, but pretty darn close.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:32 am
Crab rangoon

http://www.smscater.com/HPicCrabRangoon1.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:36 am
OoooooooooooooH! Interesting, Montana!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:02 am
They're very tasty :-)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:08 am
jespah wrote:
We barbecued. Smile

The only things in that list that should be in the same post with barbeque are chicken and beer. And I'm stretching a little to allow the chicken.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:17 am
Cold chicken and salad.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:19 am
potato chips, popcorn, cookies and diet soda Embarrassed

It was movie night with the teens at church. I thought there would be pizza so I didn't eat before heading out to chaperone. No pizza, just junk.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:26 am
Lasagna. (Went out to eat.)

Walter's comments are interesting. That practice was true for Minnesota farmers, probably a lot of whom are German -- you have your big "dinner" at noontime or so, then something else incidental at night.

It does make more sense. I think a lot of other cultures have that, too, the midday meal being the biggest one.

Why did we get away from that? Industrialization, the impossibility of having a family meal at noon?