you say potato, I say pomme

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:05 pm
Quote:
MOSCOW (AFP) - Two top vodka brands exchanged angry accusations on Friday over which had the lucrative right to call itself Russia's best vodka, with the famous Stolichnaya brand refuting charges from Russian Standard that it was not really a Russian beverage at all.

"Stolichnaya brand vodka is not authentically Russian," Russian Standard, a consumer goods and financial services company that produces a vodka by the same name, said in a statement distributed to media.

It said the Stolichnaya-branded vodka sold outside of Russia was not the vodka known in Russia under that name for more than 500 years but was instead a concoction produced in Russia and shipped in bulk and under a different name to Latvia where it was then bottled and labeled.

These vodkas "were based on different recipes than the recipe for Stolichnaya vodka," the statement said, adding that "Stolichnaya's marketing messages are inaccurate and misleading to vodka consumers" and that "Stolichnaya is not authentically Russian."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,117 • Replies: 16
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:10 pm
I am very ignorant about vodka in general so this is pretty arcane for me. Perhaps we need to devise taste tests...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:33 pm
A man walks into a bar and tells the bartender "Make me a dry Martini with Russian Standard."

Joe(the name has such panache!)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:10 pm
Oy!

Stolichnaya I still love, despite this news....and Zubrovka...straight from the freezer, in shot glasses.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:15 pm
we used to spit Stolly into a fireplace and singe our eyebrows.

I have no idea why I mentioned this except to hold the page with something other than BM.

I vaguely recall that, every time vodka or tequila were involved, so were police.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:37 pm
And "Russian Standard" isn't even a Russian name. Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:38 pm
"Russian" sounds pretty Russian to me.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:48 pm
<pssst....it's English>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
dlowan wrote:
Oy!

Stolichnaya I still love, despite this news....and Zubrovka...straight from the freezer, in shot glasses.

Lookit!!! Finally, someone sensible. A connoisseuse!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:04 pm
"Russian Standard" cannot be a Russian name because I can understand it. A true Russian vodka should have an incomprehensible name like Stoliwhateverthehellitis.

"connoisseuse"??? Is Dag speaking Russian now? Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:08 pm
French, I believe.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:33 am
Yes, French, like Grey Goose Vodka, one that I occasionally like, which was refused to me once by a Florida bartender on the grounds that it was French (and they, of course had had the temerity to oppose Bush's War.) When I pointed out that the company was American owned and started by an American military man there was the stunned look you see on the face of the husband walking in on you and his spouse, but I digress.

Joe(Oh, hello. )Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:05 am
Speaking of pommes, anyone else use Calvados when cooking pork?
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:48 am
Quote:
Speaking of pommes, anyone else use Calvados when cooking pork?

You mean, pour in a jolt of Calvados and put a match to it, to flame off the excess cooking fat? Yes, I do. Wonderful!

Going back to the original subject, I think the problem was that the Stolichnoi family used to make Stolichnaya vodka, named after themselves, in Imperial Russia, but after the Bolshevik Revolution they fled abroad and started a new vodka-making business in exile, which naturally they also called Stolichnaya. Meanwhile the old Stolichnaya distillery back in Russia was taken over by the Bolshevik state and continued in production. So both businesses had a perfectly good right to the name; it's just that now for the first time the products of both are having to compete in the same market.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:50 pm
No, Dlowan, if I ever spring my wallet free of the dollars to buy good Calvados, I'll be drinking it...

But I have saved some pork with calvados recipes for years now.
0 Replies

johncieera

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 10:07 am
@dyslexia,
I have always loved vodka but didn't know much about it up until now
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 10:26 am
@johncieera,
I was unaware that potatoes can in fact... bear fruit (above ground).

But alas, these tomato doppelgangers are apparently poisonous.
0 Replies