The Hippo And The Turtle

panzade

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:08 am
I wanted to hear a bunch of people go Awwwwwwwwwww!

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8580/hippo1qg.jpg

THE HIPPO AND THE TURTLE

NAIROBI (AFP) - A baby hippopotamus that survived the tsunami waves on the Kenyan coast has formed a strong bond with a giant male century-old tortoise, in an animal facility in the port city of Mombassa, officials said.

The hippopotamus, nicknamed Owen and weighing about 300 kilograms (650 pounds), was swept down Sabaki River into the Indian Ocean, then forced back to shore when tsunami waves struck the Kenyan coast on December 26, before wildlife rangers rescued him.

"It is incredible. A-less-than-a-year-old hippo has adopted a male tortoise, about a century old, and the tortoise seems to be very happy with being a 'mother'," ecologist Paula Kahumbu, who is in charge of Lafarge Park, told AFP.

"After it was swept and lost its mother, the hippo was traumatized. It had to look for something to be a surrogate mother Fortunately, it landed on the tortoise and established a strong bond. They swim, eat and sleep together," the ecologist added. "The hippo follows the tortoise exactly the way it follows its mother. If somebody approaches the tortoise, the hippo becomes aggressive, as if protecting its biological mother," Kahumbu added.

"The hippo is a young baby, he was left at a very tender age and by nature, hippos are social animals that like to stay with their mothers for four years," he explained.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2024/hippo27ve.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 19,132 • Replies: 13
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 02:17 pm
Awwwwwwwwwww!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 04:18 pm
Not the rush I expected...but thanks Mr Dunlop...

By the way, that's the same exact pick I use...except mine is orange...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 04:22 pm
I've seen this pair before. Have been amazed that a turtle could form such a bond.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 11:57 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I've seen this pair before. Have been amazed that a turtle could form such a bond.

It might be on sided Edgar, with the hippo doing all the bonding.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 01:42 pm
Yeah...the turtles going..."Who the hell did I mate with to make that?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:40 am
Another turtle devotion story
Runaway tortoise found
6/15/06

A tortoise that "did a runner" after 55 years with the same partner has been found safe and well.

Daisy was discovered after 12 days away and had made it almost a mile from her Devon home, reports the Sun.

The pet went missing after owner Jonathan Bradley let her and fellow tortoise Bert out to chew on some clover.

Daisy was found in the back garden of a farm in Combe Martin, Devon. To get there, she had scaled a steep hill and crossed a road and tractor trails.

It was the first time the tortoise had been away from pal Bert since the early 1950s.

Jonathan, 55, who cares for the pair with wife Anne, 50, and daughter Albany, nine, said: "The lady who found her had seen the stories about her disappearance and called us straightaway.

"Now she's back Bert hasn't left her alone all day. And she clearly has a good memory, as she knew where she was back in the enclosure."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:16 pm
[/QUOTE]How You Going To Keep 'Em Down On The Farm?

How you going to keep them down on the farm
After they've seen Paree,
How you going to keep them away from Broadway,
Jazzing around, painting the town,
How you going to keep them away from harm,
That's a mystery,
They'd wish they'd never seen a rake or plow,

So who the heck can parlez-vous a cow,
How you gonna keep them down on the farm,
After they've seen Paree.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 05:12 pm
BBB
A 176-year-old tortoise, believed to be one of the world's oldest living creatures, has died in an Australian zoo.

The giant tortoise, known as Harriet, died at the Queensland-based Australia Zoo owned by "Crockodile Hunter" Steve Irwin and his wife Terri.

A senior veterinarian said Harriet died of heart failure.

Despite her longevity, however, Harriet is not he world's oldest known tortoise. That title was awarded by the Guinness Book of World Records to Tui Malila, a Madagascar radiated tortoise that died in 1965 at the age of 188.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 06:34 pm
I'm not at all sure they've really bonded. Looks like that turtle is in full gallup to the corner pub. Full gallup being a relative term, of course.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 10:26 pm
amazing stuff
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:22 pm
No mention was made whether the tortoise was native or in a zoo. If it's native we have to assume that it's an Aldabran tortoise from the Aldabra Islands north of Madagascar. These are giant tortoises similar to the Galapagos Tortoises of South America. The post states that the hippo and tortoise swim, eat, and sleep together. However the Aldabran tortoise is strictly terrestrial and would easily drown in water over its head.

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20051229/wdip1229/critters.jpg

Looking at google, I see that indeed it is an Aldabran tortoise, so the story is true.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:02 pm
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww...I'm relieved!! Laughing
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:53 pm
let's hear another

AWWWWWWWW

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4479/image003sq4.jpg
0 Replies