International Ice Hockey Championship - hooray!!!!

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 03:39 pm
Is there ANYONE watching? I expect it gets way more aired in Europe, it gets barely noticed here in the U.S. But.... Slovakia has just tied with the Czech Republic 3:3, and thus became the winner of the E group. Yay! Quarterfinals are next. Who will win the finals this time? The Czechs, or the Slovaks Twisted Evil ? Either way, it's aaalllll good.
The most recent results are available here: www.ihwc.net
Enjoy!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,916 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:03 pm
Congratulatins, dag! As for coverage, you can bet that if the US team was doing well, there would be lots of coverage...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:06 pm
It ain't actually doing all that bad. U.S. still can get into quarterfinals I believe (not sure, I will check though). I kept an eye on Canada, Russia and Finland more.
We Slovaks are grateful that our players were released from NHL for the duration of the championship. Otherwise we would win a didley squat, as we sold the best of them out ;-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:07 pm
The US is 3-3-0 and advancing to the next round, but with the NHL playoffs currently active (not to mention the NBA), I doubt most Americans have any idea this tournament is even being played.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:12 pm
Yes, but the US lost to Denmark and Switzerland. What team did they send?

Dag, what would the Slovaks like better, losing the final game against the Czechs or being eliminated in quarter finals after whiping the Czech Republic and making Jager bite the ice?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:13 pm
Good good, I thought so, I noticed the US beat someone today. The world needs to be informed about this championship, it is the only one we do well at!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:16 pm
Oh, of course we would rather loose the whole championship than be beat by the Czechs!!! Well, not me, but that seems to be the prevailing attitude. I was home were Slovakia played the Czech republic for gold in 2000. We lost. We got silver, which is darn good, but nobody seemed to even notice, such was the disgruntlement of being beaten by the Czechs! :-)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:19 pm
I understand the Slovaks do well at motorcycle races on ice, also. Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:21 pm
Errrr, that may be. But ever since I drove a nail through one motorcycle I have somehow lost interest in the sport...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:28 pm
Which team did the US send? I think we sent our "We can only beat teams from places where it doesn't snow" team.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 05:57 pm
Hm, that is interesting. I cannot even begin to imagine how the US national team is being assembled. Does it consist of volunteers or do they send some misbehaved players there for punishment? THe team is not so bad in the end, although if the US was to employ all the best players from NHL, no other team in the world would have a chance. Not even Czechs and the Slovaks, cause half of them would be on that US team. Good thing the US doesn't care that much!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:07 pm
fascinating - I am ashamed to admit that I didn't even know there was any hocky played outside of North America.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:18 pm
Tee hee. Yes, they play baseball outside of the US too, but that is less worthy to watch. Albeit it gets entertaining - e.g. when the Croat baseball team cannot hit the ball at all for half an hour, or the Ukrainian team is seen running about horse race tracks, because there ain't no baseball stadium at all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:22 pm
I knew baseball was pretty widespread. I guess I sort of knew there was a Russian hocky team in the olympics. I mean, if they play hocky in the olympics, it has to be widespread. Then again, there's that silly ice-scrubbing canadian game that is now an olympic event....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:24 pm
I LOVE that sport. It is like watching janitors on ice skates! what is it called?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:25 pm
Don't forget chess - another Olympic discipline. Great sport!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:28 pm
is it brooming?

yes, chess I knew was world-wide too. But, a sport?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:31 pm
Yes, chess is officially a sport. Recognized by the Olympic Committee. Now that janitors skating is called something like hoola, or hoopla, it's on the tip of my tongue. tongue seems to be disconnected from brain though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:33 pm
Where's ehBeth when you need her?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:33 pm
hurling?
0 Replies