Tom DeLay to announce he is leaving Congress

Amigo

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:44 pm
You know things are getting bad when i'm the sane one.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:53 pm
That's for sure. But how do you know?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:05 pm
Public consensus.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:01 am
Oh.

Those dopes!

JN
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:05 am
DeLay's exit does little for cause of lobbying reform
Mercury News Editorial
Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay called it quits this week, days after his former deputy chief of staff pleaded guilty to corruption and conspiracy charges based on activities run out of DeLay's office. Last November, another DeLay protege pleaded guilty to conspiracy to bribe public officials. One of DeLay's ``dearest friends,'' convicted super lobbyist Jack Abramoff, is singing louder than backups to the Rolling Stones in order to try to dodge more prison time.

With more indictments inevitable, you'd think that especially Republicans in Congress would want to get out ahead of the headlines and confront head-on the influence-peddling and decade of institutional corruption that are DeLay's legacy.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/14276602.htm
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:09 am
by Harry Shearer

Found Object: DeLay on Hardball
READ MORE: Tom DeLay, Hillary Clinton
To see just how grateful Chris Matthews was for getting the Tom DeLay scoop, and what DeLay may think of Hillary Clinton, go here. Thanks to the usual source gods.

MATTHEWS: Hey thank you for calling me. It was a good thing for me, mostly.

DELAY: Oh really.

MATTHEWS: Oh of course it was. We got on the air as fast as we could....

[...]

MATTHEWS: Shannon [DeLay aide] told me, she called me, she said 'don't worry -- he's not calling in to complain'...

MATTHEWS: Have you seen this new focus group stuff on the candidates?

DELAY: No I haven't

MATTHEWS: It's great stuff. I'll send it to you -- it's great -- yeah it's great stuff. Hillary, John Kerry. All these guys, all these democrats, and how they do. And, uh, Frank Luntz did it...

DELAY: who I like

CM: ...and Hillary did not do well. Kerry did well.

DELAY: You're kidding.

MATTHEWS: I am NOT kidding. They didn't like Edwards -- they thought he was a rich lawyer, pretending to care about poor people...

DELAY: Too slick. Too slick.

MATTHEWS: ...and Hillary was a know-it-all.

DELAY: Nothing worse than a woman know-it-all

[...]

MATTHEWS: Thanks. I owe you one. I owe you two -- today and last night.

DELAY: No you don't.

MATTHEWS: No, I do.

DELAY: I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:02 pm
"So many minority youths had volunteeredÂ…that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like myself." --Tom DeLay, explaining at the 1988 GOP convention why he and vice presidential nominee Dan Quayle did not fight in the Vietnam War
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 12:05 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
What turned my stomach was Delays references to Jesus, God and "the Lord" in his farewell statement.

Delay remains the darling of the delusional right-wing "Christians."

If you think living in a Christian nation is hard, wait until America gets put under sharia law due to the activities of de-moker-rats and other leftists.

or under martial law by right wing fascists with a firm belief of "Gott mitt Uns"...

gee, which one are we closer to now ?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:27 pm
Is there any more bizarre thinking than holding onto the idea that it's the Democrats (I think that is what the poor boy was trying to spell) and other leftists who want Sharia to be the law of the land.

Sharia, or Shariah, is a much closer cousin to the kind of lawbase the neo-conservatives of this nation would desire
- adherence to the belief in a Supreme Being,
subjugation of women to their husbands,
anti-abortion,
anti-gay,
anti-alcohol,
censorship of movies and the arts,
restrictions on the use of multiple political parties,
centralized and concentrated power in the executive branch.

If an unbiased observer were to watch and listen to the likes of George W, Dick Cheney and especially Bill Frist, he would be surprised to learn that we aren't already under a Christian Sharia.

Joe(Just give the Supreme Court a chance.)Nation
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:30 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
What turned my stomach was Delays references to Jesus, God and "the Lord" in his farewell statement.

Delay remains the darling of the delusional right-wing "Christians."

Notwithstanding the insipid source of these comments, they are interesting.

In what context might these statements, uttered by a conservative, have failed to turn your ideologically sensitive gut?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:39 am
Garry Wills is professor emeritus of history at Northwestern University and the author, most recently, of "What Jesus Meant."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 10:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
Whomever you may refer to with the name "Sentanta," i do hope they get the point of that idiotic emoticon . . .

Setanta vs blueflame

Stalin vs Trotsky

Coke vs Pepsi

Curley vs Lou Costello

Gotta love it.
Cool
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:42 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Garry Wills is professor emeritus of history at Northwestern University and the author, most recently, of "What Jesus Meant."

Wow.
Powerful piece. I am bolstered by Wills' straightforward and unflinching insistence that Jesus wasn't the corrugated icon we have pablumized and served up to us on a regular. I would be interested to know if Wills' has any spiritual beliefs, or if - for instance, he sees Jesus simply as a significant historical figure.
I am reminded by this piece of the way that the shameless right has attempted, and had some success at, co-opting the message of Martin Luther King. they've shorn him of his original radicalism - flayed from his image all vestiges of the fiery anti-war rabble rouser and antiestablishment agitator, and left us with a flaccid, one-dimensional caricature who dutifully spouts "not the color but the content", whenever they pull his string.
Yup - Jesus - the Jesus I long to meet and still marvel to hear tales of - was a badass.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:14 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Whomever you may refer to with the name "Sentanta," i do hope they get the point of that idiotic emoticon . . .

Setanta vs blueflame

Stalin vs Trotsky

Coke vs Pepsi

Curley vs Lou Costello

Gotta love it.
Cool

Goebbels issues another press release!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:54 am
Quote:
Powerful piece. I am bolstered by Wills' straightforward and unflinching insistence that Jesus wasn't the corrugated icon we have pablumized and served up to us on a regular. I would be interested to know if Wills' has any spiritual beliefs, or if - for instance, he sees Jesus simply as a significant historical figure.
I am reminded by this piece of the way that the shameless right has attempted, and had some success at, co-opting the message of Martin Luther King. they've shorn him of his original radicalism - flayed from his image all vestiges of the fiery anti-war rabble rouser and antiestablishment agitator, and left us with a flaccid, one-dimensional caricature who dutifully spouts "not the color but the content", whenever they pull his string.
Yup - Jesus - the Jesus I long to meet and still marvel to hear tales of - was a badass.

Amen. And I mean that.

Wills has written a lot of what critics call contrarian Christianity but which I think is closer to being exactly what Christ was talking about. Jesus didn't arrive here to make the comfortable more comfortable, he came to make the comfortable uncomfortable and the uncomforted loved. 'Tain't easy.

The most difficult commandment of all is Love One Another.

It is no wonder to me at all that Mohammed Ali and Malcolm were drawn to Islam. Christianity had left the building in the hands of folks like Tom Delay, Bill Frist and George W. Bush.

Joe(peace. Still possible.)Nation
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:09 am
WOW!

Anon
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:31 am
Joe

You are on the mark! The commandment to Love one another is indeed right up there with the only other commandment Jesus gave to the Apostles: Love God with your whole heart and soul.
0 Replies