they use 1080 which is a deadly poison (some say its THE most deadly chemical poison out there). Hawks are especially vulnerable because they will catch an apparently sick mouse or rat thats in the throws of dying and then the hawk will die too.
Poisoning rodents needs to be monitored more closely ,(weve taken to putting the poison IN a haveahart trap which the rats will trip and die in the trap. I dont wanna be responsible for killing another coopers hawk. (Thats made us ill for a couple of weeks when we found the little guy--he lived in our silo and greeted s every so ofetn with the hawkee chirps).
Having that same thing happen to a red tail is even more sad cause they are such bigass birds