They're back. The Falcons of Water Street, New York.

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
http://www.55water.com/falcons/images/sm_building_with_arrow.jpg

Life on the edge.
Spring has arrived and so have the Falcons of Water Street.

The news thus far: two eggs, maybe more. A lot of sitting with the male staring out at the East River.

Riveting. Click here. Then on the Bird Cam

One camera seems to be non-functional so there is 10-15 seconds of darkness before the other two come up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 59,789 • Replies: 847

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:41 am
Excellent! Thanks for posting this, Joe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:22 am
Hooray!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:54 pm
She's all roosted in for the night now. 5:51pm NY

I'll check in every couple of days.

I don't know what the gestation period is... .

Joe(watch the birdie)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:24 pm
about 2 minutes for sunny side up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:48 pm
Quote:
Incubation:
For Peregrines, incubation usually lasts 33 to 35 days from the date the last egg was laid (or the second last, if that is when incubation began). The eggs generally hatch on successive days, but occasionally two hatch on the same day, or a day or two passes between hatching. During the incubation period, the eggs are rarely left uncovered for more than a minute or two, although on very warm days the adults may stay off them for somewhat longer periods. Typically the female sits on the eggs throughout the night, and also for much of the day. The male takes over for several short shifts through the day so that the female can get away and hunt for herself. As a result, the female usually does about three quarters of the incubation herself, while the male contributes the rest. In the last couple of days before hatching the female often becomes reluctant to leave the nest, and chases the male away if he offers to take over incubation.

peregrine biology
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:05 pm
I have to apologize for my totally insensitive and stupid post above. I was under the influence of a greeat big hunk of shoofly pie with whup cream. It makes me sound like cj
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 04:06 am
We've come to expect such boorish behavior from you, Farmerman. It is typical of the narrow-minded dweebs of this world, a kingdom of which you rank highly. As highly as the rank you reek as you pass through our midst.

Yokel! (no pun intended)

Joe(Still like you though. dammit)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:13 pm
It will be the first of May before we see any hatching. I saw two eggs, there may be more.

Joe
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
Thanks for the timeline, Joe. It's pretty boring right now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:51 pm
Eva--

At least we had a bit more mobility when we were gravid.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:57 pm
Weeeeeee!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
Farmerman is so not cj!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
looks like both mom and dad are home right now
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:47 am
Mom's just been very busy, re-arranging herself.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:41 am
Nesting Mama Birds have a hot spot on their breast. The heat is relieved by contact with a nice, cool eggshell. Maternal instinct is a wonderful thing, but Mama is also turning those eggs, cool side up, for her own comfort.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:49 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Nesting Mama Birds have a hot spot on their breast. The heat is relieved by contact with a nice, cool eggshell. Maternal instinct is a wonderful thing, but Mama is also turning those eggs, cool side up, for her own comfort.

I swear, the things you learn on this board, are life changing.

Joe(hot spot-who knew?)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 04:55 am
Boids - Who knew?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:42 pm
Mother Love has physical components--but you can skip that part on the Second Sunday in May and on all schmaltzy greeting cards.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:21 am
Falcon Update:

From the official site...
Quote:
Good afternoon to all! As Spring rolls out we have some exciting news for our loyal Falcon Watchers.

Our favorite mother falcon J Jaie has laid four eggs as of yesterday.

The first egg arrived on March 23, 2006, followed by one on the 25, 27 and 29th of this month.

We are all very excited and can't wait for them to make their grand entrance here at 55 Water Street.Please stay tuned to our webcam and check back here for up to date information.

It going to be crowded...

Joe(birdman of a2k)Nation
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » They're back. The Falcons of Water Street, New York.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:19:08