Best running Shoes

Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
i like a lot of cushion but also need support- any suggestions??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 5,221 • Replies: 30
Topic Closed

roger

Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:54 pm
No. Fit is so much more important than brand or design, that I don't think there is a good answer. I happen to like the Spira walking shoe, and they make several models of running shoes. That doesn't mean they will work for you. In other words, I would only order shoes online if I were reordering a model I'd already proven.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:03 pm
I used to find the Runners' World magazine twice a year charts on available running shoes very helpful. Now they have advice online for how to tell the best shoes for you.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-52-167-0-4615,00.html
See the related articles listed on the side of the page for shoe reviews for the different kind of feet and running needs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:30 pm
Boy, I just spent twenty minutes going through my type of shoe (the cushioned ones for high arches). I'm going to go back over it more carefully, pick out perhaps three, and then see if I can find an excellent running shoe store around here.
George

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:38 am
Just visited the site ossobuco recommended. I put in my characteristics
and found the that the shoe I use was on the list returned. Good sign.

So that seems like a good starting point, a lot better than wandering into
a store with racks upon racks of shoes and no clue about any. As Roger
mentions, there is absolutely no substitute for "proving" the shoe. You
must actually try the shoe on and walk around in it.

My own case is a bit weird. I have wide feet, fallen metatarsal arches,
hammer toes, and a big bad bunion. Other than that, my feet are perfect.

It takes a long time for me to find a good pair. The ones I have fit so
well, I went back and bought another pair for when these wear out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:02 am
Thanks for that site, Osso!

I have old (like going on 10 years old -- were heavily used for about two of those years, now getting heavy use again, not much use in between) Nikes that really seem fine for now but I've been looking into replacements.
0 Replies

George

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:38 am
If you're gonna run in them, I'd recommend replacing them as soon as
possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:48 am
I agree with George re replacing them if you're going to be running. I don't remember the timing advice (miles, not years). I used to subscribe to Runners World, even though I was just a four mile jogger.

The cushioning shoe list has a lot of shoes mentioned, and if you look closely, some have more support than others, and some are more for people with average to high arches, and some for people with average to low. Lists for stability shoes, etc., are probably as elaborate.

The best shoe for me used to be Nike Air Max, which I see is still listed at the highest price. But a few others work for me, some of the lines from Saucony or New Balance.

I don't run any more and should probably move over to walking shoes, but I've never found a walking shoe to beat those air maxes for my foot. They carried me through up to ten miles a day in and around Rome.. and those are some stony streets.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:53 am
The ones I have are Air Max (full name Nike Air Max Triax, dunno if that makes a difference), too, and the price for new ones was a bit mind-boggling.

I don't remember paying nearly so much for these.

I've run/ walked say 50 miles in them since I re-started exercising, with no problem at all, very comfortable -- I really have to give 'em up? <Whimper.>

They've overwhelmingly been used on treadmills, and the soles are in good shape.

How do I know whether I need to give 'em the old heave-ho?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
I don't remember how you know, Sozobe.. mebbe George does.

Also, I added to my post probably while you were posting. Look at the cushioning list when you're ready to change. I think there was a NBalance shoe for $110. that I want to try on, and a three or four others, some as low as $85. We might have similar feet if you like Air Max. When I figure out which ones I want to try on I'll list them here, not that you should just look at those, but there may be some correspondence.
0 Replies

George

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:01 am
The last rule of thumb I heard was 500 miles.

Another way: try on new shoes of the same model. If you feel a big
difference in cushioning, then you now have a new pair of walkin-arounds.
0 Replies

George

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:03 am
Confession: mine have about 1200 miles on 'em.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
Thanks, George.

Yeah, I was eyeing those New Balance ones, too, Osso. I had two-three Air Max's in a row, the ones before that were New Balance, ugly but functional.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
Actually, good news, the Air Pegasus seems to be more like my current shoes than the new Air Max... and those are only $80.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
I think I had some Air Pegas(i) once...
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:08 pm
OK, so after perusing the shoe finder, the REI site (useful!) and Zappos (good reviews, though they don't carry Nike), I think I've narrowed it down to the Nike Air Max Moto or the Nike Air Pegasus.

First problem -- they only come in one color.

Second problem -- the colors are both godawful. I've always gone with Bulls colors for basketball shoes and running shoes, it's my thing -- red, black, white. Now OSU's colors are red, white, gray (and of course black gets in there too), that's cool. These are light grey with chartreuse highlights (ICK) and gray with boring blue. :-(

I guess fashion has to take a back seat to function sometimes.
0 Replies

George

Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:11 am
After you've run through enough mud, it really doesn't matter any more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 7 Apr, 2006 08:04 pm
Most of the shoes are severely ugly to me. This matters since I sometimes wear old running shoes just walking around. Ruins my couture.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:38 pm
I also reference the runnersworld list when I'm looking at new running shoes. I like their reviews. I think the best thing to do first is to narrow it down to what type you're looking for - motion control, stability, cushioning or performance. You can also go to seasoned sales professionals to find out what kind of shoe would work best for you. I found a great person a Lady's Foot Locker...

My personal preference is New Balance or Saucony. Although, I tried the Nike 360s on the other month and they felt really nice...but they're still pretty expensive.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:56 pm
Nike air Shox and buy the special inserts. I run six days a week, work a sales floor eight hours a day and these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product
0 Replies