The Asexuality of Isaac Newton and Others

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:42 am
Asexuality has been around as long as sexuality itself, with some of the most notable asexuals being famous or well-known people. Isaac Newton is one of the most notable asexual people, as his laws of motion and gravity definitely put him on the map. Other notable asexual individuals are Glenn Gould, a Canadian pianist, and John Ruskin - an author, poet, and social critic.

Asexuality is hard to really define or even point out because most people who are asexual are often believed to be homosexual or even bisexual or just strange by the outsiders. Because many asexuals do not follow gender roles or have a clear-cut gender identity it can be confusing for those on the outside looking in. Gender identity often defines who we are socially, so you can bet the friends of Isaac Newton, Glenn Gould, and John Ruskin put a lot of thought into the sexual orientation of their friends!

Many friends of Isaac Newton believed he was just too into his work to notice women, or even men for that matter. Isaac Newton was such an accomplished person in every respect that it was just assumed that maybe he couldn't make time for romance. But, those who were closest to him realized that he seemed to lack sexual attraction or even a desire for sex. Close friends and family knew that Isaac Newton just wasn't quite like everyone else, but in 1727 when he died there wasn't much data about asexuality so he sort of died as a sexual and social mystery in many people's minds.

John Ruskin is a little bit more of a clear-cut picture of asexuality. John Ruskin was a famous poet, author, and social critic living from 1819-1900. John Ruskin was actually married to a woman named Ellie, but several years later the couple divorced for non-consummation of vows. According to socialites of the time, the rumor was that he refused any physical contact with his wife, and lacked any physical attraction to her. Years later John Ruskin fell in love with a nine-year-old girl and asked her to marry him; some say he was attracted to her because as a young girl she also lacked sexuality. The young girl rejected him, and he never did marry or have any known romantic relations.

In addition to Isaac Newton and John Ruskin is Glenn Gould. Glenn Gould was a Canadian pianist that seemed a bit odd to all that came in contact with him. He was not social, and preferred to do all the communication through letters. Gould never married, and had a strong aversion to being touched. A preoccupation with his health and safety of his hands was notable, as was an addiction to prescription drugs. Like Isaac Newton, he never showed any interest in women, and seemed to lack physical attraction to others or desire to have sex or sexual contact.

Not much research has been done on asexuality. Some believe the asexuality of Isaac Newton and others is a rare sexual orientation, others believe it may be a dysfunction or even a sexual aversion disorder. Asexuality seems to vary from person to person, from a disinterest in human contact to a full-fledged aversion to other people. There were surely others before Isaac Newton, and there will surely be more people similar to him in the future.

http://articles.syl.com/theasexualityofisaacnewtonandothers.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 16,476 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:03 am
Since there have been few studies, one could not reasonably come to any conclusions about this. I would throw out a few possibilities. Since sexuality is on a continuum, it is not beyond the scope of reason that there are some people who have little of no interest in sex, either with the opposite, or the same gender.

Whether this condition is simply part of that sexual continuum or has pathological features, one needs to look at the lives of these individuals.
Does that person exhibit other signs of neuroticism?

Quote:
Glenn Gould was a Canadian pianist that seemed a bit odd to all that came in contact with him. He was not social, and preferred to do all the communication through letters. Gould never married, and had a strong aversion to being touched. A preoccupation with his health and safety of his hands was notable, as was an addiction to prescription drugs. Like Isaac Newton, he never showed any interest in women, and seemed to lack physical attraction to others or desire to have sex or sexual contact.

In the case of Glenn Gould, one could surmise that his asexuality was merely a part of a spectrum of maladaptive traits. With other people, mentioned in the article, it may have been that they were so involved in their work, that the work precluded having the time (or the inclination) for romantic attachments.

This is a chicken/egg situation. Did they throw themselves into their work because they had no desire for intimate attachments, or did a lack of physical desire leave them free to pursue their work with an intensity that is not practical for a person involved in a relationship with another?

I don't think that one can make a blanket statement about asexuality. We certainly could not, until more is known about it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:40 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
.....there are some people who have little of no interest in sex, either with the opposite, or the same gender.
There are some people also who have little of no interest in masturbation, or sexual fantasies, or even non-sexual intimate physical contact.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:49 am
Chumly wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
.....there are some people who have little of no interest in sex, either with the opposite, or the same gender.
There are some people also who have little of no interest in masturbation, or sexual fantasies, or even non-sexual intimate physical needs.

Don't know for sure, but I would suspect so.
Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:57 am
Pretty darn sure Glen Gould fit this mold. As a Canadian I have been inundated with Gould trivia for years (bleck!).

He was very childlike and eschewed physical contact in addition to never showing any sexual desires.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:59 am
Chumly, could you please give the definition you use here for asexuality? And am I correct, you are not speaking about curable medical asexuality but about asexuality in the sexual-psychological sense?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:08 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chumly, could you please give the definition you use here for asexuality? And am I correct, you are not speaking about curable medical asexuality but about asexuality in the sexual-psychological sense?
Yes in the sexual-psychological sense. There is apparently nothing wrong with them physically and in the case of John Ruskin, Benjamin Franklin and Glen Gould it certainly did not inhibit their success.

I figured since all the other sexual orientations were being discussed that asexuallity deserved it's own thread.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:12 am
Question: are those against homosexuals also against asexuals? Why?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:16 am
I rather doubt if the virulent homophobes would necessarily even recognize asexuality--but if they did, i doubt they'd object. I strongly suspect, purely from anecdotal evidence, that homophobes are reacting from a physical revulsion to the thought of sexual acts, and the asexual would arouse no such disgust.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:16 am
Chumly wrote:

I figured since all the other sexual orientations were being discussed that asexuallity deserved it's own thread.

Thanks for answering one question - and what definition due you use?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:19 am
I agree but it would be fun to see them try and rationalize how homosexuality is against nature & god but asexuallity is not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:19 am
Chumly wrote:
Question: are those against homosexuals also against asexuals? Why?

I don't think that there is animosity against asexuals by straight men, as they are no threat to them. I also think that since asexuality is somewhat rare, that most people have never met a person with that orientation. I would also suspect that if the asexual person exhibited other peculiarities, that there would be some wiseass who won't mind his own business, and would set out to torment the person.

Unfortunately, being a bully, for some people, does not end at high school graduation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:23 am
Chumly wrote:
I agree but it would be fun to see them try and rationalize how homosexuality is against nature & god but asexuallity is not.

I could not agree less. It is disgusting to listen to the sh!t the religious spew to justify their obsessive desires to interfer in and control the lives of others, regardless the behavior about which they rant.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:26 am
I agree with you Setanta. If only the religious would mind their own damn business, and keep their noses out of other people's affairs, the world would be a happier and more peaceful place to live.
Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:26 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Thanks for answering one question - and what definition due you use?
I would go with being healthy physically but having no desire for any kind of sex.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:40 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:16 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I also think that since asexuality is somewhat rare, that most people have never met a person with that orientation.

Already Kinsey noted years back that there's a small percentage of persons who "ever" want to have libido as there's another small percentage, who never want have it.

In the late 80's there has been a study in England, where the same percentage of interogated - namely 1% - answered the question if they had ever felt sexually attracted to anyone at all with "no" - close to the rate for same-sex attraction. (If I remember correctly from the time of my post-graduate studies.)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:52 pm
Quote:
others believe it may be a dysfunction or even a sexual aversion disorder

Some called it a disorder? Sheesh, what's the criteria for calling something a disorder?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:55 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:47 am
0 Replies