Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:18 am
When Jesus was before Pilate, he reportedly said "For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone that is on the side of the truth listens to my voice." (John 18:37)

Then Pilate said to him: "What is truth?" (John 18:38)

If Jesus averred it to be the very reason for coming into the world, it certainly would be important enough for discussion here, don't you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 15,318 • Replies: 381
No top replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:25 am
Truth is what isn't a lie...the opposite of a lie.

Neo, how do you KNOW that such thing ever took place? How can you consider this "the truth"? In what sense such thing is "the truth"? How can you be so sure?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:27 am
Mornin' Jason; You will note I used the words "reportedly said".
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:33 am
neologist wrote:
Mornin' Jason; You will note I used the words "reportedly said".

Morning, Neo. Don't you consider the events of the Bible as the "absolute truth"?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:40 am
For the sake of argument, what is truth?
neologist

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
I'm not about to set the rules for this discussion, only the topic.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:55 am
Hi Neo. Hi Jason.

What is truth? It's what we all want but rarely can handle.

It's what is important, but not enough to seek it continually. It's for learning, but we seldom do.

For those that do continually seek the truth, it's changing. What one might consider the truth of a situation one day may find in the next a different truth.

I don't think the truth is definable. It's a purity that no one can comprehend. We seek it and think we find it and then thirst for it again. We will thirst until we find the complete truth.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:56 am
neologist wrote:

Didn't you read what I posted, neo?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:57 am
Hi, Momma.

Did you totally change the meaning to the word "truth"?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
Jason,

Huh? I don't think I did. What made you ask that? Do I need to clarify something? Hey, it's early! I haven't had enough coffee yet? Laughing

Is your room clean, young man? :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:04 am
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
neologist wrote:

Didn't you read what I posted, neo?
Sorry, Jason.

It's too early in the thread to say you have the final answer.

See y'all tonight.

Bye
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:20 am
Truth is more than just a word. More than just an idea. Truth is a lifestyle to be lived. I find it interesting that Jesus did not answer the question. It was just kind of left hanging out there and then Pilate went back to the Jews and said, "I find no fault in Him at all." Why? I believe because Jesus, who He was, the things He did, and so forth, put that question in the mind of Pilate. It wasn't just the words that Jesus had said. However it wasn't something Jesus needed to answer because Pilate had to answer that question for himself. What is truth? Think about it. I can't answer that for you any more than you can answer that for me.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
MA, I told you to stop smoking; it'll kill ya.

My room appears cleaned, MA. I just have to make the bed, and my whole room would appear as if it's already cleaned. I learned that trick from you.
:wink:
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:38 am
hephzibah wrote:
Truth is more than just a word. More than just an idea. Truth is a lifestyle to be lived.

How much wrong can you possibly be, heph? Truth is or is not.

In what way are you defining the word "truth" here, heph?

PS: I like your picture. You look majestic.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:48 am
Thanks for the compliment Jason. Smile Very kind.

Jason you need to step out of the box and look at things from a different angle. I'm not even necessarily saying the "christian" angle. I'm saying think about this for a second. If I tell you I am this really moral person and here in the forum I am the way I am, yet in my free time I am out robbing banks.

Then one day you come across an article in the paper about me and go... whoa... she's not who I thought she was... how disappointing... So I presented myself as one thing and really that was just a cover for something else. That's not truth. I may have been able to convince you it was the truth for awhile, shoot I was probably convinced myself as well, but that didn't really make it any more true. Because truth is lived, and truth always comes out eventually.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
I just thought of a simpler way to put this.

Who you are is what represents truth. Whether that's good truth, bad truth, or what ever. Each person represents something in their life through their actions and words. It is in these actions and words that truth is found.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:07 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Jason. Smile Very kind.

Jason you need to step out of the box and look at things from a different angle. I'm not even necessarily saying the "christian" angle. I'm saying think about this for a second. If I tell you I am this really moral person and here in the forum I am the way I am, yet in my free time I am out robbing banks.

Then one day you come across an article in the paper about me and go... whoa... she's not who I thought she was... how disappointing... So I presented myself as one thing and really that was just a cover for something else. That's not truth. I may have been able to convince you it was the truth for awhile, shoot I was probably convinced myself as well, but that didn't really make it any more true. Because truth is lived, and truth always comes out eventually.

You're welcome.

What are you trying to say, heph? What does your own morality have to do with concept of "truth"?

Why are you changing the meaning to the word?

It doesn't matter from what angle I see things. You are dealing with definitions here. If you don't want to abide by the rule of definition, you're in deep and serious problem that would lead to misinterpretation.

In what sense are you defining the word "truth"? To me, or to anyone in their right mind would use this word in accordance with its definition.

PS: "I go to church in the morning; rob a bank in the afternoon; and I'm a crime fighter at night."
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:10 pm
Truth:

1 a archaic : FIDELITY, CONSTANCY b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance
2 a (1) : the state of being the case : FACT (2) : the body of real things, events, and facts : ACTUALITY (3) often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality b : a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true <truths of thermodynamics> c : the body of true statements and propositions
3 a : the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality b chiefly British : TRUE 2 c : fidelity to an original or to a standard
4 capitalized, Christian Science : GOD
- in truth : in accordance with fact : ACTUALLY

Explain please how I'm changing the definition? LOL
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
hephzibah wrote:
I just thought of a simpler way to put this.

Who you are is what represents truth. Whether that's good truth, bad truth, or what ever. Each person represents something in their life through their actions and words. It is in these actions and words that truth is found.

You are saying that my actions define a person...and that's truth. You can put it that way if you want. But how would this differ from its actual definition [of "truth"]?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:13 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies