cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:04 pm
pd, Is that donut shop communist owned? LOL
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:44 pm
I would venture that, (my keen detective eye surveys Mr Spudnuts posts) Spudnuts uses some form of potato -like additive to their recipe.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 04:46 pm
Quote:
pd, Is that donut shop communist owned? LOL

Actually, the proprietor is a sixty-something eastern European guy, so I 'spect there might be some amount of influence there. (It is an odd contrast to what I'm accustomed to in a really good family-type donut shop, which on the west coast seem to be run by immigrants from what used to be French Indochina (and for obvious culinary reasons!).

Spudnut. Mmmm, spudnut. Never had one, but it sounds good.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:45 pm
pd, Actually, we are lucky in that we have a couple of very good donut shops in our neighborhood. One is Stans in Santa Clara, renowned all over the San Francisco Bay Area, and the other is owned by a young Asian family where I go for my morning coffee. If you're ever out in our neighborhood, I treat you to both Stans and my favorite coffee shop donuts. Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:28 am
Sure thing. (Though I was out in your neighborhood a lot more back when I lived in Santa Cruz, which was about $200K in mean property value ago.)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:18 am
Apple-Cider Doughnuts with Maple Glaze
OK, all you donut lovers, I haven't tried this recipe, but it sure does sound good, especially this time of year. I did quite a bit of adapting to clarify and improve the instructions. ---BBB

Apple-Cider Doughnuts with Maple Glaze
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

In the Vermont countryside, there are two sure signs of spring: frost heaves in the road and smoke rising from the chimneys of the sugarhouses. This recipe was inspired by treats you find while touring this corner of America: cider donuts and maple syrup.

A mini-Bundt pan produces small donut-shaped cakes. If you do not have one, you may use a regular Bundt pan and make a coffee cake.

DONUTS:

Approximately 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar for preparing pans
2 cups all-purpose white flour
1-1/2 teaspoons double-action baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup brown granulated sugar, packed
1/2 cup commerical apple butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
3 tablespoon vegetable oil, preferably canola oil

For using mini-Bundt mold pans: Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F. Coat the molds of a mini-Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Sprinkle the molds with the sugar, shaking out the excess.

For using a regular Bundt mold pan: Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F. Coat the inside of the Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Cover the inside of the pan with the sugar, shaking out the excess.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, apple butter, maple syrup, cider, yogurt and oil. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.

Divide half the batter among the prepared mini-molds, spooning about 2 generous tablespoonfuls of batter into each mold.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Loosen edges and turn the cakes out onto a rack to cool.

Clean the mini-Bundt pan, then re-coat it with oil and sugar. Repeat with the remaining batter.

For a regular Bundt pan, pour the batter into the pan and bake in the oven at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes.

MAPLE GLAZE:

1-1/4 cups confectioners' powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/3 cup pure maple syrup

To make maple glaze:

In a bowl, combine the confectioners sugar and the vanilla. Gradually whisk in enough maple syrup to make a coating consistency.

Dip the shaped side (underside) of the cooled mini "donuts" in the glaze to coat. Then set them, glazed-side up on a rack over wax paper for a few minutes until the glaze has set.

If you used a regular Bundt pan, pour the glaze over the top of the cake, letting it drizzle down its sides.
0 Replies

valgalmypal

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:51 pm
Were I live we have Snowflakes
0 Replies

wulfspirit

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:18 pm
donuts
Here's one more vote for Congdon dounuts in Wells, Maine. I often wonder why I visit the shore of Maine so much - the ocean, the rocky coast, the old houses? Nahhhhhhhhhh. It's the donuts. I've had lots of donuts in my life - but there's nothing like a raspberry filled Congdon donut. I just got home from Maine yesterday and I have three of them waiting for me. he he he. And as far as Crispy Creme is concerned - they're ok but I like other donuts more - especially Congdon. If and when you're in southern Maine - stop for the best! Jim Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:41 pm
It's not the lobster? strange....
0 Replies

forrie

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 07:56 pm
Dunkin Donuts - Cake Donut Recipe
That recipe posted is for a different donut - I wonder about Dunkin's regular basic cake donut recipe. There's a slight taste of nutmeg in them, and they are heavier/firmer than a normal cake donut recipe.

Anyone?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:39 am
We tried to find Congdons on our way home in Sept. I wasnt anywhere close to it and nobody gave directions that made sense.
There is a new donut shop in the ltown of West Chester, not bad , sort of a Nawlin bignettes.
I think that a sopaipillas recipe would make a decent donut but tthey would be a bit heavy.
BBB -a donut MUST be deep fried , otherwise its a muffin
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:14 am
Haven't scoured the whole thread...anybody like churros?...used to be popular in Madrid..dipped in milky-coffee.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:30 am
whats they like? AM they good?

I have trubble seeing tthrough all the black haze on your avatar. Are you depressed?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:04 am
a short answer...yes
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:05 am
Them good...crispy fluted thingys
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:09 am
I don't have the time to read through this entire thread, but I was just wondering....

Has anyone mentioned Big Ed's Chunky Donuts?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 10:33 am
Betty-Ann's in East Boston.
Always fresh and warm because they sell out in no time.
Get there early or there'll be none left.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
there's a place that makes churros near me.

bueno.
0 Replies