Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:23 am
Besides me, who do you think makes the best donuts? Most Canadians are faithful to Tim Horton's, but since Krispy Kreme moved in, there have been some converts. If there are some indie donut shops out there that rock, I would like to know. Let's not restrict this to the big guys.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 16,816 • Replies: 77
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:25 am
cavfancier- I don't know who makes the best, but I know who makes the worst. I once made a batch of donuts that were burned on the outside, and runny on the inside. Bet Krispy Kreme couldn't beat that! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:29 am
Lol...I make a soft brioche, give it 2 risings, cut the donuts, give them a quick proof, then deep fry em at about 350. If you fried yours, it just sounds like your oil got too hot. I just put powdered sugar on top, but they are nice served with a variety of preserves and honey. And one strength of Krispy Kreme: warm donuts are indeed better than room temperature Very Happy
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:48 am
I'm probably in the majority, but I finally had Krispy Kremes last month and was not that impressed. After 10 or 11 of them, they sit funny in your tummy.

You want the best donuts? Congdon's Donuts in Wells, Maine. Ooooooo la la. Yummy and quite addictive.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:58 am
What kind of donuts wouldn't sit funny in your tummy after 10 or 11?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:12 am
roger makes a point...hopefully you stop after 1 or 2, lol. My brother taught English in Japan, and, as most anything 'American', donuts are very popular amongst the young. Young, rake-thin women regularily go out and consume quantities of donuts that would embarrass a sumo wrestler...how they keep their figures I shall never know.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:44 am
I can agree with BeachBum - Congdon's Donuts in Maine are pretty good. And their breakfast is teh best around. I think any bakery that makes donuts are heads above 'fast food' donuts.

Krispy Kreme recently came to the area and I've had them once before in VA, but I still don't know why they're such a big deal. I'll admit I like Dunkin' Donuts just a bit better, and even more when you get them at a store that makes them on the spot. There's a few of those near me.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:56 am
You want the best donuts? Go to any little shop in L.A. or Orange County with a name like "Yum-Yum Tasty Donuts" and you'll get something wonderful.

Used to get these fantastic apple fritters from a place on Soquel Drive in Santa Cruz, but I don(u)t remember the name, and I was usually stoned when I went there, so that may not be a reliable accounting. Tunisian donut (or, properly, in this case, "doughnut") at The Crepe Place is fantastic, though it's not your typical morning donut (and it, too, is in CA -- sorry, kids).
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 10:35 am
The 10 or 11 was a joke. Why would I eat that many if I wasn't impressed. See? Get it? Man, this is turning into a long week.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 11:05 am
Lol, I got the joke BeachBum...don't make me change yer avatar's diapers Very Happy

To be honest, best 'donuts' I had were fresh Mission fig beignets made by my first chef-employer at Palmerston, Jamie Kennedy. They were halved figs, coated and fried in an impossibly light batter, and rolled in sugar. Deeelish! Now that is a fruit-filled donut, IMO.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 11:08 am
patiodog, nice to see the original spelling, "doughnut" mentioned, lol
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 11:12 am
The Tunisian version mentioned is worthy of the extra effort...

(There's no such thing as a bad donut, but I put Krispy Kreme pretty near the bottom, to tell y'all the truth; Winchell's are better. And the little ones at Pike Place Market in Seattle, but I've mentioned those repeatedly elsewhere...)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 02:02 pm
Beignets from the Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. They're served piping hot and covered with powdered sugar.

I tried Krispy Kreme on vacation. Nothing special, I thought. Why are they so popular?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:50 pm
MMM...donuts
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:32 pm
'The Flesh Is Weak'

What

I can't

do

without?

donuts.

They

are

my

forbidden fruit.

They

should

be

called:

do nots

(jjorge)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:40 pm
"Mmm....forbidden donut...."

-Homer Simpson
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 04:33 am
Once had a co-worker who came in ad announced that his precocious one-year-old had just uttered his forst complete sentence: 'Daddy, I want a doughnut.'

KK hasn't made it to my feeding territory. Still too much in DD turf, which is what a DD tastes like. I've had better but I can't tell you from where... don't know if the bakery is still around and that was long ago.

My fave, though. Machine cuisine, a package of cinnimon pop-tarts out of the vending machine.

"I'm like a breakfast at the egg house
Waffle on the griddle
I'm burnt around the edges
But I'm tender in the middle"
-Adrian Belew
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 04:42 am
Anyone know Country Time? They are similar to Tim Hortons, I think...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 05:18 am
somethin about MAine. They take their donuts seriously. In Eastport, the best donuts were made at a bakery dept of the IGA. They made them with potato flour , as a raised yeast donut. Drroooolllll . agergghegrhh.
Next time Im up there
I will make theside trip to Congdons in Wells to try theirs.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:17 am
Mmmmmm, Maine. Donuts and lobster.

I'll take those packaged Entenmann's glazed old-fashioned donuts over krispy kreme any day of the week.
0 Replies