Should I worry about a daylight racoon?

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:08 pm
Right this very minute there is a gigantic, tailess racoon in my garage.

It's 12:00, noon.

That doesn't seem right.

Do racoons come out in the day time or could this signal some kind of disease?

Should I call someone?

Who?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 26,129 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:12 pm
Wow Boomerang,

I dont know that I've ever seen a racoon in the daytime around here. Is it making a lot of noise out there? Maybe he's just hungry and is searching for food. Is he growling or anything?

Might call the animal control office nearest you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:15 pm
We get racoons (racoon) a lot in our garage to eat the dog and cat food but I have never seen one in the day time.

Mo watched it crossing the backyard and started yelling for me to come see. It wandered into the garage. We tried to sneak a peek and now it's hiding.

The one that used to come around a lot (and bring her babies) was pretty citified and unafraid. I catch her out there in the morning a lot.

NEVER this late in the day.

And this was a tailess racoon.

My neighbor saw an opossum in the neighborhood the other day but this thing is big -- maybe 30 pounds and Mo, who got a good look at it, insits it is a racoon.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:17 pm
Boomerang, Full size adult racoons are very dangerous. STAY AWAY FROM IT. If it feels cornered it will attack. Call animal control at least if only for advice. Thats what you pay taxes for.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:18 pm
Tailless? Bommerrang do you think maybe it is sick or something happened to it's tail? Maybe it's in shock if it's hiding.

I'd definitely call animal control and at least ask. It may be nothing but if it's in there hiding, there's a reason I would think.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:19 pm
I know they're dangerous. I've locked all of my pets inside.

Still, they're worth peeking at!

I'll call animal control and see what they say.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:20 pm
Get a picture if you can! A tailless raccoon? Cool.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:22 pm
Maybe it just had it's tail tucked.

I tried to get a photo, that's why I was peeking. Somewhere around here I have photos of Big Mama Racoon noshing at the cat food dish....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:23 pm
We had a 3 legged one that came out during the day a lot.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:27 pm
Ha!

Animal control says "we don't deal with racoons, you have to call a trapper".

I have to run to my vet's office anyway so I'll ask around.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
In the 4th grade a girl got bit by a racoon in the daytime... she got rabbi's... over 100 shots... hope that helps

I'd stay away... then again when I went to the zoo they had a racoon that had been kept domestic for years, so he stayed up during the day and was very friendly.. even gave high fives.. it was awesome
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
They don't deal with racoons? Shocked You have to call a trapper? Boomerang, where in the world do you live?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:29 pm
Oregon.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
Wow. I was thinking it was next door to me or something. To get animal control to pick up a dog around here you have to call the Sheriff first, and go through this red tape.

I wish I could see the racoon. I think they are so cute!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
All I can do boom, is repeat the advice of a certain person named Megan, who will be four this coming April....

"DON'T EVER TOUCH A NIGHT ANIMAL DURING THE DAY!!!!"

that seems like sound advice.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:38 pm
Boomerang,

I looked up racoons in Oregon and it says that they can be seen anytime during the day. I did find out that it is illegal to take a racoon out of the wild in Oregon and make it a pet. So, dont' make it a pet.

http://www.audubonportland.org/livingwithwildlife/brochures/raccoons/document_view
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:43 pm
Boomerang, Animal control prabably doesn't deal with them because there so dangerous. How would feel if the Racoon disappeard so you forgot about it only to reapear later when your not around and it attacks Mo? or someone else. The trapper will take it somewhere better.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:07 pm
Amigo wrote:
. The trapper will take it somewhere better.

Yeah....Coon heaven.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:07 pm
The devil is visiting you in tailless racoon form.

Look to your soul.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:16 pm
Crazielady420 wrote:
In the 4th grade a girl got bit by a racoon in the daytime... she got rabbi's... over 100 shots... hope that helps

A hundred shots to kill some poor Rabbi?
0 Replies