does grapefruit juice "burn" fat?

neeboy

Thu 1 May, 2003 01:42 am
No, I'm not talking about the "grapefruit diet" here. I have lost 30 pounds since January. I started a workout plan last September and had no luck losing any weight whatsoever. Then, in January, I went back to college, and my workouts were a lot less frequent. About the same time I started drinking 10 oz. of ruby red grapefruit juice every day. About 6 weeks later, I ran into a friend at the health club that I hadn't seen in a while. He remarked that I looked like I had lost some weight; I didn't think I had, 'cause I was eating a lotta garbage at the University Union's restaurants. But, lo and behold, I went home and stepped on the scale, and I had lost 10 pounds! Since then, I've lost 20 pounds more. I am not on a "diet," and I stopped drinking the juice for a month as a "test." Sure enough, my weight loss stopped. Now I'm drinking the juice again, and after 2 weeks I've lost 7 pounds more!! What do y'all think of this??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 121,736 • Replies: 58
Topic Closed
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 1 May, 2003 05:47 am
I have no idea. I once lost some weight on the grapefruit diet. Might want to experiment. I have a large grapefruit tree in my backyard. The grapefruits are good to eat for about 6 months out of the year. There are a lot of small ones this year that are great for juice. I'll take your advice, and let you know what happens!
0 Replies

margo

Thu 1 May, 2003 06:22 am
NO

And grapefruit and grapefruit juice can affect the metabolism of many drugs. Check your information insert before launching into heavy grapefruit consumption!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Thu 1 May, 2003 07:05 am
Chances are, the fibre and acidity of the grapefruit juice merely caused irritation to your stomach, forcing you to evacuate more efficiently...sort of a modern 'laxative' diet. Also, the fibre makes you feel more 'full', so you eat less, and therefore take in less calories. The evidence that citrus puts the body into a 'fat burning mode' is sketchy at best. Fibre and acid will indeed help you lose weight, but tread carefully. I might add though, that fresh grapefruits, or juice from them, are preferable to any diet pill. Basically, losing weight comes down to the simple fact of burning more calories than you take in. The role of personal metabolism is also an important question, but as of now, not fully researched.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Thu 1 May, 2003 07:07 am
I should add, if you are eating garbage, grapefruit juice is definitely better than a coke Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Thu 1 May, 2003 08:20 am
You may have been eating "garbage," but you've been eating less calories than before. Just like cav said, "losing weight comes down to the simple fact of burning more calories than you take in."

There's no food that magically "burns fat."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 1 May, 2003 01:47 pm
yes there are no magical foods, but yes some food help you burn more calories.

An easy example would be spicy food.

Spicy food sometimes makes you hot, and the increase in your metabolism does burn more calories.

But I urge you not to attempt an all pepper diet.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Thu 1 May, 2003 02:53 pm
True Craven, the throne gets grumpy....
0 Replies

New Haven

Thu 1 May, 2003 04:07 pm
If you mix grapefruit juice in a bowl with bacon, will the bacon burn?
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Question
0 Replies

cavfancier

Thu 1 May, 2003 04:10 pm
Probably not NH, but ribs are nice on the BBQ with a nice citrus glaze, heh heh...
0 Replies

New Haven

Thu 1 May, 2003 04:13 pm
I'll take some, right now!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 1 May, 2003 04:20 pm
Margo makes an important point. Many drugs do not interact well with grapefruit, especially the group of statins used for lowering cholesterol, and some blood pressure medications. It can dramatically INCREASE the drug absorption directly into the bloodstream, without first being metabolized by the enzymes in your digestive tract, which can lead to serious complications.
Slappy Doo Hoo

Fri 2 May, 2003 07:58 am
Yeah, but you know what drug DOES interact well with grapefruit?

Crack.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 2 May, 2003 08:10 am
Heh heh, I also hear that grapefruit juice is just yucky in a bong...
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 2 May, 2003 06:36 pm
I take Doxasozin as a BP medicine. Before I knew of the enzymatic reaction that occurs with grapefruit enzymes, I drank a big glass of grapefruit juice for breakfast and took my pill with it and within a half hour I fellasleep . It reacted with the time release capsulating chemicals and dosed me all at once, not a good thing if your operating machinery, or flying a plane
0 Replies

gina31670

Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
Drinking grapefruit juice to burn fat
I stopped drinking soda, and more water. I have been exercising 2 times a week, about 30 - 45 mins. I didn't notice any chances in my pounds, but a week ago I started drinking 100 % grapefruit juice (not ruby red) throughout the day along with water for 5 days straight, and on Sunday I dropped 10 pounds. From weighing myself on Monday. I don't know if that is a reason or not, but it does appear that something occurred. It does suppress my appetite and it makes me regular after I eat. So if it doesn't help lose the weight all the way it helps somewhat, plus your getting your daily dosage of Vitamin C. And I don't take any pills of any kind so I don't have to worry about side effects.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:03 pm
Last month I weighed 185. I've been drinking a glass of grapefruit a day since. The other day I was walking down the street and some homeless guy gave me $.50 can told me to go feed myself.
0 Replies

margo

Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:52 pm
Slappy - what have you done with all the time you've saved by not eating?

Most people eat something else, not least to get rid of the foul taste of grapefruit juice. And the breath problem!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:54 pm
Grapefruit juice is foul tasting? Nothing better than being in Florida and grabbing a ripe one off the tree and juicing it. Chilled, over ice, with a splash of vodka isn't bad either.

And what breath problem does grapefruit cause? Is everyone sure they are talking about the same thing?
0 Replies

husker

Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:20 pm
I luv ice cold Grapefruit juice!!