Who's booty you kissing?

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:56 am
Quote from Frank Apisa:

Quote:
You are terrified of the god. This horseshyt about the god loving you...or me...is such a crock of azz kissing that it should provoke peals of laughter in anyone with a brain...and enough sense not to be superstitious or in dread of silly boogeymen

My first question is why do you believe that that someone saying God loves you or me is kissing God's booty? Do you mean they are trying to get in good with God so they won't have to go to hell? If that is the case well... you probably aren't too far from the truth on that one. This isn't meant to be a personal judgement against any "christians" out there. However in the last few years my once good opinion of most people who bear the label "christian" has slowly been eroding away.

There's way more talking than walking in my opinion, so I don't blame people who are of this opinion. The "church" seems to turn out not much more than a bunch of carbon copies now a days. But I've got to say as someone who believes in God that I don't believe I kiss His booty. However I'm sure there are varying opinions out there. That is fine. That isn't meant to be a statement of arrogance, I know I am capable of just about any kind of behavior. LOL I just try to do the best I know to do, and that is all I can offer to anyone. Let me explain my position here.

To me to kiss His booty, or anyone elses for that matter, implies something done out of fear and misunderstanding. Superstitious fear of a boogyman, as Frank so candidly put it. If God exists and is truly "love" as the bible say's He is, why would He then demand for me to instill fear in the hearts of others by saying "Turn or burn"? If God's grace is real and is the very thing that saves me from hell, why should I feel so inclined to withhold that from others by condemning them for not believing as I do? In my opinion that is hypocrisy in it's rawest form and these kinds of actions are done out of a superstitious fear.

I asked this question:

Quote:
Is all fear superstitious?

To which Frank replied:

Quote:
I doubt it...but I suspect almost all religion is.

I agree. Most religion now a days functions in superstitious fear. I hate religion. It is pompous, arrogant, and concerned for little else than how it appears to others. It is everything God is not to me. However I do believe there is a different kind of fear that is not superstitious that can be best understood by this quote:

"To fear, in regard to God, is to hold Him in such loving esteem as to be afraid of offending the one so admired."

I don't think that's the exact wording. I finally gave up trying to find the exact quote. It's a line I read in a book once called, "Lessons from a sheep dog". I don't believe this kind of fear is sitting in a corner trembling, fearing God will strike me down with lightening and send me to hell if I offend Him. It is more along the lines of loving Him so much that I actually care about what HE thinks about my actions. I realize that to someone who doesn't believe God exists this must sound absolutely ridiculous. *shrugs* What can I say, except it is what I believe and what I do my best to live by.

If you truly love someone then you care about how they feel. What effects them. What is important to them. What will make them happy. That doesn't mean there's no hope if you screw it up, it just means you think of something other than yourself once in awhile.

So there it is. I've laid it out there. Have at it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 20,700 • Replies: 385
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:02 am
Cant say Ive read all your post but I was watching A Time to Kill the other day and one character said ' Im a true God fearing man'.That summed it up for me, how and why would you fear someone who is supposed to represent love and help?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:18 am
bookmark

(what's up, hep?)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:04 am
Here
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:16 am
Here
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:47 am
I think Hephzibah explained it rather well about fearing God. This is (the fearing god part) a discussion that has been held here on A2K before and it has been explained in a number of ways. Unfortunately, it seems there are those that still do not understand what fear of God actually is.

If you look in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, it states:

Pronunciation: 'fir
Function: verb
transitive senses

1 archaic : FRIGHTEN

2 archaic : to feel fear in (oneself)

3 : to have a reverential awe of <fear God>

4 : to be afraid of : expect with alarm

But, for some reason, even though this has been pointed out, explained, etc., it still seems to be totally discounted. I am not afraid of God. I'm not afraid of Him one little bit. It's true that I do not want to disappoint Him, but I don't want to disappoint anyone I love. I don't want to hurt Him, just as I don't want to hurt anyone I love.

There are those that are "turn or burn Christians." There are those that won't even talk about hell Christians. There are all different kinds of Christians. (Just speaking of Christians because that is what I am and can speak about for me.) What we are supposed to do is tell about the love of God and Christ. Yes, you are supposed to tell the whole story, but just as you don't blurt out the ending of a book to someone that hasn't read it, you don't just tell them the ending and not explain the whole story.

My husband at six years old was told by two gentlemen that came to his door that he was going to hell because he wasn't saved. Shocked He was six years old and had no clue as to what they were talking about! That sticks with him today. Fortunately, he finally got the whole story.

So, you see, there's a whole lot more to the "fear of God" than thinking it is an actual fear of God. God does not give anyone the spirit of fear.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:59 am
I am agnostic. However, I do not agree that fear (as terror) is the only motivation behind the faith of others. I have seen this argument many times (that fear is the only reason behind religious faith). This argument has been used by several people and I was always unimpressed by it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:04 am
I agree, wandel. I think that sometimes it can be, indirectly -- not "I will go to hell if I don't believe," but "I can't possibly handle life without my faith." But I don't think the latter is true of all religious people, either.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:11 am
Hello wandel. You may be unimpressed if you would like. LOL I'm certainly not trying to impress anyone here. I don't believe I ever said that fear is the only motivation behind the faith of others. Speaking for myself, as I can only do, it is most certainly not my only motivation.

However, Mr. Apisa and I had a brief interlude yesterday concerning this topic and decided to start a thread to discuss it once again. I'm sure this issue has been discussed many times, many ways, by many people. Unfortunately I wasn't here to discuss it those times. So... now I am here. I am interested in what Frank, and anyone else has to say about it. I think my perspective is a little different than some and could make this conversation quite interesting. Who knows... only time will tell. You are welcome to stay and share your thoughts, though if you've seen it that many times before, I guess I could understand why you wouldn't want to.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:14 am
sozobe,

You were referring to "religious" faith in your statement, weren't you?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:17 am
"My faith", in this context, means religious, yes.

By the way, wandel was indicating he was unimpressed with Frank's argument -- the argument that fear is the only reason behind religious faith.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
Tootles... I must run some errands. I'll check back in later...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:20 am
Thanx, Sozobe. Well, when I first read wandel's statement, I completely misread it! I thought wandel was saying that "fear is the only reason behind faith." However, I read it again and saw that I was the one in err.

Heph probably just read it like I did. She was in kind of a hurry when she posted. She had an errand to do but wanted to get that post out before she left.

LOL. See? She's in a hurry!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:22 am
Dang it all... there I go again... showing my own ignorance... LOL Sorry wandel, as you will quickly learn, one of my greatest talents is reading things too quickly sometimes and going on a tangent in the wrong direction. Thanks for pointing that out sozobe... I'm such a dork... Razz

That's why I'm a little frustrated that some people have abandoned ship in S&R. Who's gonna keep me on the strait and narrow now? Boy... could we be in for a ride! Weeeeeee

Tootles for now.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:36 am
Thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say, sozobe.

(I should also admit that in my case, I have a fear of Frank!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:37 am
I thought it was plenty clear... I think "I am agnostic" at the beginning of it may have made some people expect a certain kind of post. ;-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:49 am
Sozobe,

Ouch! Talk about a slap in the face, girl! I believe you are quite correct. I think that is exactly why I read wandel's post the way I did the first time.

I gotta get some ice for this Crying or Very sad .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
MA and hephzibah,

I forgive you.

(frank may not forgive me, however)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:00 am
:-)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:05 am
whos butt am I kissing?

Well..im wiccan and we have alot of god/desses

i gots me a bunch'a buns to kiss .. every day.
Laughing
0 Replies