LET'S BURN A CHICKEN ! ! !

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:07 pm
OK, so i got this hen. She ain't as pretty as the one we had a few weeks ago (that was the fattest damned hen i ever saw), but she's a plump one. About two and half to three pounds. I washed it, and then in the cavity, i was gonna put an onion and some garlic, but there was this bag in there. I took it out, and put a half dozen cloves of garlic, stripped and sliced lengthwise, but left whole otherwise, and then a medium white onion, peeled, and then cut through the middle, but not all the way through, so that there are eight pieces of onion, still attached to the base. I wasn't sure if the Sweetiepie girl would want to eat the offal in that bag, so i just threw it in on the side next to the bird.

Then, apple juice and carrot juice, and black pepper freshly ground with sea salt--now, cook for four hours at 475 degrees . . . right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,516 • Replies: 38
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:10 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:20 pm
That sounds offal

yeah, so what?

someone had to say it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:21 pm
set : the innards make the finest gravy. just cut it up a bit, put it in a pot with a little water, pepper and salt and other spices and let simmer slowly - perhaps as much as an hour or two. drain liquid into a clean pot and make a nice gravy; you can add butter, sourcream, some fresh herbs at this stage, if you like. a drop of some wine won't hurt !
(of course, have never done it myself, but watched often enough). ENJOY ! hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:31 pm
I'll keep that in mind for the future, Boss . . . no time, now, though . . . The Girl will expect to eat when she gets home . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:48 pm
if you still have the gizzards, you can chuck them in the freezer for a week or two . an empty yoghurt tub or a baggy will keep things for a while . (keep it for lean times - just started to read 'angela's ashes' !!!). hbg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
Four hours at 475?

Yep. That ought to do it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:54 pm
they like it nice and crisp !
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:47 pm
The chicken looks pretty nice, as do the black-eyed peas.

I've just put some portobello mushrooms and half of a large sweet onion in a pan to sweat it out with a bitta EVOO and butter

mmmmmmmmm

This has potential.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:50 pm
Good Grief!!

I thought you were talking about Bush Twisted Evil

Anon
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:59 pm
Dontcha think four hours might turn that plump little hen into a tough old bird?

Anon, that sounds like a good recipe for burning bush.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:00 pm
On a spit sounds good!

Anon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:03 pm
You could cook a turkey in that time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:07 pm
Sounds like the way to selfclean an oven by burning all the grease...and getting rid of that hen in the closet at the same time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:12 pm
I love black eyed peas, but only fresh.

How do you make yours?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:32 pm
haven't heard from set for a few hours ... wonder if he's still frying the chicken ? hbg

what about the gizzards ?has he made them into an appetizer ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:38 pm
The bird was quite good, and a little--i stress, a little--is left. The black-eyed peas were dried peas, soaked overnight, and cooked for about three hours at low heat, with grilled onions and garlic.

We kept the innards to make a gravy on another occasion . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:42 pm
mmmm.

I grill some onions too, then add the peas, and then sweet baby ray barbeque sauce. However much I feel like squirting in. I like simple

try the fresh sometimes. no soaking, you just simmer them for about an hour - hour and a half.

Just make sure you cover with about 2-3 inches of water, and after the 1st 1/2 hour, you'll proably have to add more water.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:07 pm
Just as soon as you tell me where to find fresh black-eyed peas in Canadia, i'll run out and get some . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:13 pm
Welllllll, here's one link, though it doesn't sound very southern...
http://www.djroger.com/heirloom_pea.htm
0 Replies