Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:24 pm
Alright, how is everyone today?

I am trying to woo a certain someone who happens to be a vegetarian. Which is great, but i'm not one and I have nooo idea what a nice meal would be to cook.

Does anyone here have any relatively easy recipes or ideas that they would like to share?

P.S
Deadly alergic to pineapple.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,598 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

Green Witch

Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:32 pm
I have so many ideas I don't know where to start.

Simple would be a vegetarian lasgana with a salad and garlic bread. I usally serve fruit for desert, like poached pears with thickened cream.

Most Indian, Thai, Mexcian and Chinese food can be made as vegetarian. Just substitute the meat with seitan, soy nuggets or as last resort- tofu. For chili I like to use Boca brand "ground beef", for chicken strips I use Lightline brand or Veat (www.veat.com), but I don't know what you have available in Canada.

I'm sure you could Google up tons of recipes, but if you are looking to get a good recipe book I suggest you find any of the Moosewood Restaurant series by Molly Katzen. Amazon probably has them used for a couple of dollars.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:38 pm
Hmm, interesting. Who knew there were so many options for fake meat?

Have you tried any of these "veats"? Never heard of seitan or soy nuggets, definitely have to look into that.

Thanks for your ideas, excellent!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:44 pm
We eat the fake stuff all the time. My husband is a veggie, although I'm not. Some the products are great and some are dreadful. I think Veat is the best, even my carnivore father can't tell it's not flesh. I'm not a big fan of Yves brand and some items made by MorningStar are good (their fake bacon is the best) while things like their Buffalo wings are icky. If you contact companies on their websites and tell them you are exploring vegetarianism, and want to try their product they will send you coupons and tell you where you can find their stuff.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:48 pm
And if you don't have a fake meat thingie available, you're still doing fine, there are tons of options w/o a fake meat deal.

I have lots of great recipes, so if you want anything specific, let me know and I might have a recipe for it.

A really simple one is vegetable fajitas-- just use bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and zucchini cut into strips, sprinkle with 2 or three tablespoons of chili powder and a bit of garlic, and then saute in a tablespoon or so of oil...mmmm Smile One of our favorites (me and Mr Cypher are both veg), serve it w/ fresh guac and pico de gallo...

I have a really nice casserole recipe that uses rice, mushrooms, zucchini, sour cream, cheese, olives and tomatoes...It's simple and quick but makes a really great meal with salad and garlic bread. If you want the recipe, lemme know...

GW is right, there are lots of good and easy options especially if you try Italian or Mexican. Or Chinese, a veggie fried rice is always yummy too. I'm hungry now!
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:52 pm
MORNINGSTAR, thank you! I just scoop 'em up by sight now and couldn't remember the brand -- Boca, no, Gardenburger, no, Morningstar Farms, that's it.

I am not a vegetarian but I get their Tomato and Basil Pizza Veggie burgers pretty often -- it's not that they taste like meat, per se, but they do taste good and are a bit healthier than a regular burger, and more convenient.

http://www.shopfoodex.com/catalog/images/tomato-basil-pizza-burger.gif
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 04:31 pm
The 8th day cafe is a vegan and vegetarian cafe based in Manchester. This section of their website lists their delicious recipes, categorised into soups, stews, bakes, salads, sauces and puddings. A recipe of the month is also featured.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:44 pm
morningstar farms black bean burgers are really good.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:18 pm
This stuff is starting to sound good. I must be very hungry tonight.
0 Replies