Famous Scottish Street Gangs from Edinburgh.

STYLEANDCLASS

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:33 pm
EDINBURGH GANGS
YGT IE YOUNG GILLIE TEAM FROM SOUTH EDINBURGH WERE ONE OF THE LONG RUNNING GANGS FROM THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE CITY AND ARE STILL FEARED TODAY. THERE WERE MANY A HARD MEN CAME OUT OF THAT GANG WHO WENT ON TO BECOME LEADING GANGSTERS IN THE CITY. THE GANG S STILL GONG TODAY ALTHOUGH NOT AS FEARSOME AS IT ONCE WAS IN THE EARLY 80S AND 90S.

ALSO NEXT DOOR TO IT WERE YGJ IE YOUNG GRACIE (GRACEMOUNT) JUNGLE WHO FOUGHT AGAINST THE YGT A LOT.

THERE WAS ALSO THE YIC IE YOUNG INCH CUMBIE WHO ALSO FOUGHT REGULAR BATTLES WITH THE YGT. ALL FIGHTS WERE ALWAYS WON BY THE YGT. MOST GANGS WANTED TO FIGHT THE YGT AND WOULD COME UP TO GILMERTON TO FIGHT THE GANG OR THEIR TOP MAN. EVERYONE KNEW WHO GILLIES TOP MAN WAS AND HE ALWAYS CAME OUT ON TOP.
OTHER WELL KNOWN GANGS WERE YNT (NIDDRIE) YLT (LEITH) YCJ (CLERMISTON) YST (SOUTHSIDE)

ALSO THE ONES THAT WERE ALREADY MENTIONED. MOST HAVE FIZZLED OUT NOW BUT A FEW STILL HAVE THE YOUNG ONES CALLING THEIRSELVES A PART OF THEIR SCHEME.
A LOT OF THE GANGS JOINED UP WHEN THE FOOTBALL CASUALS CAME OUT, ALTHOUGH SOME STAYED FAITHFUL TO THEIR ROOTS.
THE GANGS THAT WERE MENTIONED EARLY ON WERE A LONG LONG TIME AGO THAT NO ONE REALLY EVEN TAKES ANY INTEREST IN NOW, SOME HAVENT EVEN BEEN HEARD OFF BUT THE ONES MENTIONED ABOVE ARE STILL WELL KNOWN TODAY AND MOST STILL RATE YGT AS ONE OF THE TOP AND MOST FEARED EDINBURGH GANGS IN THEIR DAY .
Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 05:34 pm
@STYLEANDCLASS,
wow dude.

caps lock. third one up on the far left...
0 Replies

JungleBam

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:36 am
Clerrie Jungle, Young Broomhoose Team, Pilton Derry, Granton Young Parkie, Young Niddrie Terror, Young Leith Team, Lochend Shamrock, TCR (Tollcross Rebels).....and on .....Remember the hand signs that were displayed from the top deck of the corporation buses - pure mental and pure RADGE!
0 Replies

robroyboy

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:08 am
Youth gangs were a big factor for teenage culture in the 70's... Hailing from just about every village and town in West Lothian were:- Young Blackburn Derry... Bathgate B Tongs... Armadale, Dale Cumbie... The Whitburn Spur... The SFG, Stoneyburn Fighting Gang,,, being the most notorious... many others came from Fauldhouse...East/WestCalder... Polbeth...Broxburn...Uphall etc etc...
0 Replies

mikeyhibee

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:01 pm
Young Mental Royston,Young Leith Team,Young Mental Drylaw,Young Pilton Derry,Young Niddrie Team,Clerry Jungle,Granton Young Parkies
to name a few.
0 Replies

kylel

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 01:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
there is the ylt ( young leith team) yss (young south side) ymo ( young mental oxgangs) ys (young stockie) and others aswell. pretty much for every edinburgh area Smile
exskinhead

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 05:33 am
@Yogi Sniffs The Glue,
Bottom line is The Gorgie boot boys in the seventies were untouchable,gang members from all over Edinburgh who followed Hearts fc got together on a saturday.They were unstoppable on the terraces of scotland.It was not unusual for inter gang fights to break out if there were no takers from followers of the team Hearts were playing.
0 Replies

lord23sutch

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 03:32 am
@Megannah,
The area is Clermiston. The Clerry Jungle wore long crombie coats with a red hankerchief in the coat's top pocket, jeans with turn ups and doc martin boots.
0 Replies

lord23sutch

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 03:49 am
@JGoldman10,
There was a real hard crew called "The Valder Gang" from Reigo Street, Tollcross area of Edinburgh (now demolished). It was in the 1950's, possibly earlier. I think they carried open razors and had razor blades sown in to the peaks of their bunnets and into the lapels of their jackets. This was so they could slash folks' with their bunnets in a battle or if someone went to grab their lapels to bridge them (nut, head-but etc) then their hands would get slashed. This of course could be folk myth as they were a feared lot.
0 Replies

Markboy

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 06:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
Ynt was young niddrie team,ylt young leith team,ybt young broomhouse team,clerie jungle,clermiston area,bar ox were from oxgangs area,whsc wester hailes soccer crew,they had bout 5 or 6 gangs from surrounding areas in wester hailes eg calders,Murrayburn,dumbryden,Sighthill etc . And pilton Derry lots more from bout the late 70s into the 80s to early 90s then the raves and ecstasy drug came along and most gang numbers depleted after that,that's all I know from then,hope that helped a bit cheers,forgot bout the football casual scene ccs were Hibs fc and csf were hearts fc gangs.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:11 am
@Markboy,
Thank you for your input.
0 Replies

hellohello1234

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:59 pm
@STYLEANDCLASS,
SO WHO WAS THE YGT TOP BOY THT EVERYONE KNEW?
paul banks

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:25 pm
Listen Guys I lived through it all I went to Tynecastle High School from 1968 to 1974 at that time they used to bus the kids from Clermiston to Gorgie Tynecastle because they had built a new council housing scheme but forgot to build a school ??? any way the Gorgie Jungle and the Clerry Jungle were the same. Clockwork Orange was the catalyst we all wore Crombie coats the Gorgie and Clerry Jungle wore Red silk hankies in their coats, As I remember the real nutters were Y.N.T. (Young Niddrie Terror ) and Y.M.D. (Young Mental Drylaw) I also remember having various hankies in my pocket and if you were on a bus depending on which area you where passing through changing the hankie in you pocket. At the time I thought I was cool but life has a way of teaching you hard leasons each generation thinks they know better but lifes lesson is the only leveller good luck in all your lifes and be the best you can in an ything you do
0 Replies

kevtheskin

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:44 pm
Hello all.
Weird seeing all the names of the old gangs. Ynt Young Niddrie Terrors. They say they brought Terror to the hearts of all men. Old school bar-ox some very old hardy barstewards.Gorgie Jungle/Derry hardy laddies.Tdm the Dalry movement .The Caly D Bootboys fom Dalry. Even grown up in the 80ts Edinburgh had loads of gangs. Early 80ts with the Teddy boys at St James centre and the mods revival and also Skinheads Skins being my favourite being an old bootboy from a young lad in 79 till present times.

Cheers Kev
0 Replies

James Thomson88

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 02:17 pm
@b1u3-f0x,
YNT (Young Niddrie Team)
YLS (Young Lochend Squad)
Sighthill Mafia
OE
Youtz
0 Replies

reidish

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 11:07 am
So glad I stumbled across this. YMD! How mental were they?

Actually, not very. Edinburgh teenagers in the 1970s desperately wanted to be seen as "hard" but thankfully they didn't really know where to begin.

In the 70s Edinburgh was (as indeed it remains) the most middle class city in Britain; the murder rate was unremarkable, crimes of violence at tolerable levels and organised crime (in the form of racketeering at any rate) almost non-existent. Heroine had yet to become the issue it became in the 80s and 90s.

"Street gang" members were almost without exception under 18 (and still at school) and their activities were largely restricted to graffiti and posturing outside Murrayfield Ice Rink or Clouds discotheque on a Saturday night.

But gang culture did make make one lasting mark in the fashion world: Edinburgh's "raj" take on the Clockwork Orange dress code formed the basis of the Bay City Rollers' look. Lovely.
bonnyhaugh

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 10:48 am
@reidish,
most middle class in britain?? nawww mate. maybe its tamer than glasgow and london an at but even aberdeen is more middle class than the burgh.

gangs are hard tae find in the centre like, you have to go to the edges of the city. a grew up in leith, went to Trinity academy and the main gang was the radge YLT as trinity is a tame middle class area. the YLT wis a bit mythological but there wis proper hard folks about. mostly involved in heroin dealin, robberies, rackets etc. and theyd get in fights wi boys fae lochend. who were smaller but proper radges.
0 Replies

i am the man

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 08:17 pm
DON'T FORGET about the suicide squad it was formed from the ybt and the whitson agro boys christ they were hard guys and did not run from anyone they had many fights with both gorgie and clery jungle and they never lost
0 Replies

johnstevenson

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 01:12 pm
@Megannah,
there was a gang in every part of Edinburgh the westerhails fleet was one of the biggest the lord provost the chief of police and the evening news called in the gang leaders to ask them to call a halt to the fights and to let the police into westerhaills as thay had burnt two police stations down. thay where the over-spills from leith niddre pilton and other areas in edinburgh and used to fight each other untill thay joined together
0 Replies

ArchieG

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2017 06:42 am
@robbie83,
Who are YDT?? I think everyone from Edinburgh who was in their teens in the early 70s would remember Young Mental Drylaw who had a catchment area for their members that took in Muirhouse, Pennywell as well as Drylaw. Around the 1972 to 1974 period, I would rate Young Mental Drylaw, along with Young Niddrie Terror as the hardest gang in the city, although Young Leith Team certainly made their mark.
0 Replies