Famous Scottish Street Gangs from Edinburgh.

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Hello. What famous street gangs came from Edinburgh, Scotland?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 75,515 • Replies: 66

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 04:37 pm
I know of a handful of Gangs form Glasgow, but were there any in Edinburgh?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:02 pm
Mctag, do you have any input?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:51 am
JGoldman10 wrote:
Mctag, do you have any input?

No, I haven't, sorry. I googled this at the time but came up with nothing.

There will be one or two I'm sure, but probably minor and not (so far as I am aware) notorious.

Bear in mind that Edinburgh is quite different in character from Glasgow, and never had the same industrial base, slum clearance (since the Industrial Revolution at any rate) nor housing schemes (projects) where this kind of problem can develop. New towns in the region, like Livingston and Bathgate, have their share of problems with unemployed youth.

But hey, I'm not an expert. I'll ask my cousin, who has lived there for a number of years.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 06:10 pm
The only gang I head of from Edinburgh is The Keelie Gang.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 02:14 am
Why do you want to know these things?
0 Replies

Megannah

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:17 pm
Edinburgh Street Gangs
There were actually loads of street gangs in Edinburgh, every area of Edinburgh had one, two or maybe three gangs. I am currently doing a project on the gangs for a module in my history degree and my dad actually went around with one of these gangs called Jungle from the Clemeston area, if you want to know more just ask!
Megannah

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:19 pm
Oh yeh forgot to mention there was massive slum clearance in Edinburgh during the 1950's
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
"Ask, and ye shall find." Welcome, Megannah.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 03:13 pm
Question for Megannah
Thank you. Megannah, what street gangs came form Edinburgh and existed in the 14th-21st centuries?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:40 pm
Re: Edinburgh Street Gangs
Megannah wrote:
There were actually loads of street gangs in Edinburgh, every area of Edinburgh had one, two or maybe three gangs. I am currently doing a project on the gangs for a module in my history degree and my dad actually went around with one of these gangs called Jungle from the Clemeston area, if you want to know more just ask!

Hello Megannah. Could you please list the names of these gangs?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:23 pm
Megannah, hows the module coming? Do you know of any books on Edinburgh gangs?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:38 pm
MEgannah, I had a friend at another forum post a list of gangs from Glasgow at this link:

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000052860&start=60&tstart=0

Go to the 5th page-you see the list there.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 04:47 pm
Answer to McTag's Question
McTag wrote:
Why do you want to know these things?

Hello Mctag. I'm cretaing and writing a multicultural comic book. The more I know About a country's culture and history, THe more I can put into my comic book.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 06:08 pm
Questions for Megannah
Hello Magennah, are you there?

You said there were numbers of gangs from Edinburgh. BEsides the KEeley Gang and the JUngle, Can you please others from Edinburgh that were around in the 14th-21st centuries? Can you list ones that are around now?

I found this link on Edinburgh gangs:
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=873702003
ffydownunder

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:35 am
in the 14th centuary scots were too busy fighting the english to be involved in gangs!! (freeeeeeeedoooooom!)

i wouldn't class any of the gangs in edinburgh as famous, or even notorius. if you lived there you knew about them!

my home area (near edinburgh) had BYT, KYT and Links Street.... but no-one was ever really very sure who belonged to them or not!!!
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:21 pm
ffydownunder wrote:
in the 14th centuary scots were too busy fighting the english to be involved in gangs!! (freeeeeeeedoooooom!)

i wouldn't class any of the gangs in edinburgh as famous, or even notorius. if you lived there you knew about them!

my home area (near edinburgh) had BYT, KYT and Links Street.... but no-one was ever really very sure who belonged to them or not!!!

Hello, Flywander. Thank you for responding. Can you please list at least one gang from Edinburgh from the time periods I specififed, starting with the earlist period gangs were formed?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:07 pm
When did the first gangs in Edinburgh appear, and when where they first formed?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:59 am
Probably out of this lot you could find knowledgeable persons to correspond with.

http://www.edinburghguide.com/society/history.php
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:56 pm
Question for Megannah
Hello Megannah. You said that every town in Edinburgh had a gang-does that mean every town in Edinburgh had a gang? How many different towns in Edinburgh are there?
0 Replies