Whale cruising up the Thames in London, passed Parliament

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:11 am
Quote:
Whale spotted in central London

A whale has made its way up the River Thames to central London, where it is being watched by riverside crowds.

The northern bottle-nosed whale, which is 16-18ft long and is usually found in deep sea waters, has passed Parliament and is moving upstream.

From that story:

Quote:
At 0830 GMT on Friday, a man on a train called in to say he might have been hallucinating, but he had just seen a whale in the Thames.

Alison Shaw of the Marine and Freshwater Conservation Programme at London Zoo, said [..] "It is a very long way from home and we don't know why it has ended up here".

The whales usually weigh about seven tonnes, which will complicate any rescue attempt.

London Aquarium Curator Paul Hale told the BBC: "Getting that to do anything it doesn't want to do is going to be extremely difficult.

"This is a very active swimming animal and it's not going to go anywhere it doesn't want to go so we have to persuade it to swim back out."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,725 • Replies: 39
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:20 am
I hear the Japanese whaling ships are trailing close behind.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
Oh my God, is this recently?

Ive been on a boat on the Thames, enjoyable but I dont know if it would be my first choice.

I think if I were a whale Id like to scare the b'jesus out of everyone in Venice.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
My Mother in law loves to go for an early morning swim.

She probably stuck her arse out of the water.

Bloody shock for any passers by, methinks.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:25 am
Funny you mention that Ellpus. I took this photo on a trip to London not long ago.

Edit [Moderator]: Image converted to link:
http://www.mahuffer.com/images-1/save_the_whale.jpg
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
cjhsa wrote:
Funny you mention that Ellpus. I took this photo on a trip to London not long ago.

Edit [Moderator]: Image converted to link:
http://www.mahuffer.com/images-1/save_the_whale.jpg

Oh my God, thats me!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
That's a lot of material, girl!

Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
material girl wrote:
I think if I were a whale Id like to scare the b'jesus out of everyone in Venice.

Oh, thats a good one, I shoulda come up with that...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
nimh wrote:
material girl wrote:

Oh, thats a good one, I shoulda come up with that...

You did Nimh(wink wink) dont you remember we were just discussing that earlier(wink)and you said it but I stole it(nudge nudge I want 5 pounds in unmarked coins)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:20 am
http://www.pandaamerica.com/images/mxs2004libertad1_2_kilo.jpg

How about 2.2 pounds?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:04 pm
In unmarked coins huh? Razz
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:12 am
The answer is a giant basket of fish and chips with a couple buckets of malt vinegar.

http://myinitials.cc/images/cc095.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:31 am
California's Humphrey, the humpback whale
When I lived in California, we were started to find a lost whale, which was named Humphrey, in an estuary of the San Francisco Bay.---BBB

HUMPHREY: Probably the most famous humpback whale is "Humphrey," who was rescued twice by The Marine Mammal Center and other concerned groups. The first rescue was in 1985, when he swam into San Francisco Bay and then up the San Joaquin River.

Five years later, Humphrey returned and became stuck on a mudflat in San Francisco Bay near 3 COM Park. He was pulled off the mudflat with a large cargo net and the help of a Coast Guard boat. Both times he was successfully guided back to the Pacific Ocean using a "sound net" in which people in a flotilla of boats made unpleasant noises behind the whale by banging on steel pipes, a Japanese fishing technique known as "oikami." At the same time, the attractive sounds of humpback whales preparing to feed were broadcast from a boat headed towards the open ocean.

Since leaving the San Francisco Bay in 1990 Humphrey has been seen only once, at the Farallone Islands in 1991.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:10 pm
the whale has died at 7pm London time
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:15 pm
Aww!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:26 pm
Watched live - BBC has a video on their website
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:31 pm
save the whales; collect the entire set. but cerally folks this is what nature is all about not that I don't like whales but really this one went the wrong way (as happens in nature) just as the zebra gets eaten by the lion or the elephant gets mired in the mud. It's nature.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:34 pm
very sorry to report whale dead
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:35 pm
sorry didnt read previous post.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:37 pm
There will be a national day of mourning on Monday. Whale to be give state funeral and buried in the crypt of St Pauls.
0 Replies