TRAPPED!

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 12:05 am
I, on the other hand, am presently trying to get a job as a speech writer for your President, because of my respect for him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:57 am
Craven et al- I was having so much trouble with going to another site, and when returning to Able2Know, found that the "View Topics with posts since your last visit" was back to zero. I think that I have found a partial solution, thanks to a guy who writes a little computer column in my local newspaper (ah, the wonder of serendipity).

I went to Settings>control panel>internet options> advanced. I UNchecked "reuse windows for launching shortcuts". Now if I need to go to another site, I mimimize Able2Know, and it stays on my toolbar, until I am ready to retrieve it again.

<note to Craven- I did that when I went to dinner last night. Does that mean that I showed up as being on that site for all that time?>
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 06:28 am
Thanks Phoenix: I was having the same trouble, but I followed your advice. It pays to have knowledgeable friends:)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 10:48 am
(Craven has said that you only show up if you have been browsing the site in the last 5 minutes.)
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 10:52 am
Trapped with a new nick
Could not access the sight this a.m., my own fault of course so I had to change my user name to Dorel Joanne. However, I am still JoanneDorel.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:00 am
Joanne, I can fix it for you if you want.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 01:16 pm
Am I Fixed Yet
When can I re-enter the site?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 01:21 pm
Joanne, I thought I sent you an email about that. Sorry if I didn't, I had to go out.

You should be able to enter with your original JoanneDorel account now.

I'm heading out for a few hours but if you have any problems let me know.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 01:23 pm
Blatham -- a noble ambition, indeed, writing speeches for that august personage who styles himself President of these United States of Armorica. Here's a link that might help you in your endeavors.

http://www.lemonbovril.co.uk/bushspeech/
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 03:21 pm
Thank you MA! Here's the latest from the Big Guy:

We've accomplished much in violent ambitions and squandered lives on a massive scale
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 03:35 pm
Cannot Use Joanne Dorel
I can just stick with this Joanne and leave the other alone. It won't let me enter because of that bum e-mail address I used.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 03:36 pm
Besides I like being newly hatched. Does that mean I get to start my life over?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:31 pm
roger -- I forgot to tell you (cause I just remembered) that my daughter used to have a rat (gray, though) named Roger. Cute little guy (except for that tail) but it grossed my husband out. She actually paid money for him, too.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:03 pm
Somehow, Roger the Rat, and Reggovitch Rat both sound familiar, but I can't quite place either allusion.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:22 pm
Another incidentally, roger -- we have two people from New Mexico in the hospital in NYC with the plague (which they suspect they got in NM). Just thought I'd let you know the plague is out there somewhere.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:30 pm
I'm not surprised. Plague is more or less endemic in the region. The prairie dog population are great little carriers of the disease, and their fleas will move to cats and dogs at times. They are cute little critters though, but it's not a good idea to handle a dead prairie dog covered with newly homeless fleas.

This is also the hotbed of the variety of hanta virus that attacks the respiratory function, as opposed to the Asian variety that centers in the liver (I believe it is).

Luckly, we don't get the whole range of mosquito spread diseases, like west nile, malaria, and all the others.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:32 pm
Interesting -- it's all over the news tonight here because we don't get very many cases I guess. And naturally, they had to add the bit about terrorists (I swear they give the bad guys ideas) just in case. I think (but I could be wrong) that the plague is a bit worse than West Nile though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:39 pm
It is. Pneumonic form of plague can be transmitted directly from person to person, without the insect vector. West nile seems to require either mosquitoes or quite intimate contact.

We only turn up six or eight cases a year in western New Mexico and eastern Arizona combined, in spite of the prevalance in the rodent population. I just don't suspect terrorists on this one.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:42 pm
I don't either, especially since you've told me it's not uncommon in New Mexico. I just think the media likes to try to scare people.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 11:32 pm
We're finding terrorists under every bed nowadays. Roger is quite right. Both the pneumonic and bubonic plagues are endemic to that area of the Southwest. Usually it's Indian kids who come down with it. They'll find a dead squirrel or prairie dog and pick it up, play with it. Very bad thing to do.
0 Replies