Bin Laden offers truce.

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
Report: New Bin Laden Tape

Jan 19, 2006 10:43 am US/Eastern
(1010 WINS) (CAIRO, Egypt ) Al-Jazeera on Thursday broadcast portions of an audiotape purportedly from Osama bin Laden, saying al-Qaida is making preparations for attacks in the United States but offering a possible truce to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan.

The voice on the tape said heightened security in the United States is not the reason there have been no attacks there since the Sept. 11, 2001, suicide hijackings.

Instead, the reason is "because there are operations that need preparations,'' he said.

"The delay in similar operations happening in America has not been because of failure to break through your security measures. But the operations are happening in Baghdad and you will see them here at home the minute they are through (with preparations), with God's permission,'' he said.

"Based on what I have said, it is better not to fight the Muslims on their land,'' he said. ``We do not mind offering you a truce that is fair and long-term ... so we can build Iraq and Afghanistan. ... There is no shame in this solution because it prevents wasting of billions of dollars ... to merchants of war.''

The speaker did not give conditions for a truce in the excerpts aired by Al-Jazeera.

There was no immediate confirmation of the tape's authenticity, although the voice resembled that of bin Laden's in previous messages.

It has been more than a year since the last confirmed message from bin Laden -- the longest period without a video or audiotape from the al-Qaida leader. The last audiotape purported to be from bin Laden was broadcast in December 2004 by Al-Jazeera. In that recording, he endorsed Abu-Musab al-Zarqawi as his deputy in Iraq and called for a boycott of Iraqi elections.

Al-Jazeera's editor-in-chief Ahmed al-Sheik would not comment on when or where the tape was received. He said the full tape was 10 minutes long. The station aired four excerpts with what it "considered newsworthy,'' he said, but would not say what was on the remainder.

Al-Sheik said the tape seemed to have been made "recently'' but would not saw what led him to that conclusion.

Assuming this tape is authentic. Why would Bin Laden be asking or suggesting a truce. Does he see the beginning of the end and Al Qaeda's defeat? What is your opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,973 • Replies: 65
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
mysteryman just started a thread asking the same question. This was my reply to him.

Probably something the bushs and bin ladens cooked up together that's politically and financially expedient. they've been partners and friends for years you know.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:26 am
Blue
I trust Bush no more than you. However, there is a limit. Your way off base IMO.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
au1929 wrote:
Blue
I tust Bush no more than you. However, there is a limit. Your way off base IMO.

and you are entitled to your opinion and I respect it my friend.
for the record my comment was made mostly in jest in order to stir the pot and keep the conversation lively :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
I could be wrong, but I seem to have read that Osama has been the "black sheep" of the Bin Laden family, and has been repudiated by them. So, any connections between the Bin Laden and the Bush family, really has no relevence in this matter.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
I would sure like to think that Bin Laden sees the futility of trying to defeat the US. I wish that they had stated the terms of his alleged truce. It would be much easier to come to some kind of real opinion on this. Perhaps we will be receiving some more information.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:33 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I seem to have read that Osama has been the "black sheep" of the Bin Laden family, and has been repudiated by them. So, any connections with the Bush family, really has no relevence in this matter.

let me play devils advocate here. Osama was good buddies with most of the people currently running the show when they were running the show previously. exactly what is it you would expect incestuous profit driven families that eat their own in the name of power and money to say?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:34 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I would sure like to think that Bin Laden sees the futility of trying to defeat the US. I wish that they had stated the terms of his alleged truce. It would be much easier to come to some kind of real opinion on this. Perhaps we will be receiving some more information.

more likely some sort of media event with lots of red white and blue bunting and a big mission accomplished banner with no real specifics. <cue the brass band>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
I hope not blueveinedthrobber. It would be a blessed event if this war would end.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:39 am
Blue
Consider this truism. Yesterday's friend is may be today's enemy and today's friend may have been yesterday's enemy. So is the way of the world.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:42 am
au1929 wrote:
Blue
Consider this truism. Yesterday's friend is may be today's enemy and today's friend may have been yesterday's enemy. So is the way of the world.

and as such you can't really trust anyone in power. ever.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:45 am
If Bin Laden played Bush at chess, I know who would win hands down.

If, and I repeat IF this is genuine, then he will have a very good reason to suggest a truce.
Logic would tell him that Iraq will very likely become a Shiite dominated country in the near future, so why delay the departure of the infidel by continually bombing them.
Allow Iraq to be re-developed and then sit back and watch the infidel leave.
Within a short space of time (10 years?) it will probably be a theocracy, so just let it happen, he is probably thinking.

It will also give him plenty of time to regroup, train and plan for the future.

Why is it that the Bush sheeple haven't questioned why he went for Iraq, as opposed to going after AQ from day one?
Why, with all the power the US has at its disposal, is this organisation still in existence, let alone thriving?
It, and other likemimded organisations now have literally thousands of eager young recruits forming a queue.

Well played, George. Next time, don't listen to Dick and Rummie.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:53 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Blue

and as such you can't really trust anyone in power. ever.

Again I must disagree. Situations change and one must go with the flow.

Consider during WW2 the US although we did disagree with the Soviet union and did not trust Stalin we were allied with the Soviet Union and supplied it with arms and ammunition.
Why? Because the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:56 am
Osama bin smoking something.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:06 am
I doubt if this has anything to do with Osama and crew trying to place nice with the Americans. This is probably a message to the islamic world who are growing tired of seeing there own slaughtered by the al-quaida network. If they show some small glimmer of sanity perhaps they can win the moderates back in Jordon and Saudi Arabia et al.

I'm sure, if Al-quaida wanted to, they would bomb the hell out of the USA and probably will anyway -truce or no.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
Ceili wrote:
I doubt if this has anything to do with Osama and crew trying to place nice with the Americans. This is probably a message to the islamic world who are growing tired of seeing there own slaughtered by the al-quaida network. If they show some small glimmer of sanity perhaps they can win the moderates back in Jordon and Saudi Arabia et al.

I'm sure, if Al-quaida wanted to, they would bomb the hell out of the USA and probably will anyway -truce or no.

Ceili...where you been you siren of the frozen North?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:09 am
I think Ceili's take on this the most plausible. One thing is certain--if al Qaeda succeeds in attacking the United States again, there'll be hell to pay from the crew which has played the fear card to the hilt, and cynically exploited the September 11th tragedy to further their venal agenda.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
Setanta wrote:
I think Ceili's take on this the most plausible. One thing is certain--if al Qaeda succeeds in attacking the United States again, there'll be hell to pay from the crew which has played the fear card to the hilt, and cynically exploited the September 11th tragedy to further their venal agenda.[/quote

well put. both of you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:15 am
Sentanta
Bush will Blame it on Clinton. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:16 am
His online toadies will probably try, AU, that's par for the course with them.
0 Replies