Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:17 pm
I was reading Bag of Bones and when I came to page 264 it went back to page 241. After the repeated pages it resumed on page 289.

I was curious if this is fairly common or if I stumbled on a rare find that might be a collector.

Any strange findings of your own?

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:37 pm
I have had things like that happen.
But not TOO often.
Never to that extent though.

Usually it is one page, or maybe a few.. missing, or the ink of letters blurred together.

id call your book a keeper.
You never know what people will pay mucho money for on Ebay.. Confused
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:33 am
The most interesting print error I ever saw was in a copy of The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by author Carson McCullers. A few years after purchasing the first copy(an early printing in not too great a condition) I bought a second one and was reading it before handing it off to a friend to whom I had recommended the book. Anyways, there was an odd looking spot on one of the pages and I harkened back to my days as a pressman. Immediately I spotted a poor stripping job and then went to my shelf and pulled the older copy off and had a look. Sure enough there had been an error in the original, the publisher or someone caught it after it had gone to printing and later versions were corrected...although with a slightly different typeface and a fraction of an inch off kilter in relation to the rest of the line. I get the feeling this happens fairly often.

A more annoying error was in Redemption by author Leon Uris. In that exasperating tome, Uris has chronological errors...that is a combination error of both author and editor (although it is possible Uris edited his own work). Due to this error I have been unable to read anything else by Uris.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:01 am
Misprints in books
Unless it's a work that's seriously wanted for other reasons, mere binding errors aren't usually worth anything - their value is strictly nuisance.

I suppose, though, that some off-beat collector might be interested in building up a collection of books with misprints and/or binding errors...

But you could ask at this site www.brattlebookshop.com.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:35 am
You should talk to your local book dealer, if you can find one. Misprints can take the value of a book up around 200%. Now that could mean it went up by $2 or it went up by $200, depending on the initial value of the book.

I heard of an old first copy Mark Twain book that had a misprint. Sold for a few hundred thousand, I think. Wink
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:24 am
For sure, most authors do not want to hear about "mistakes" in their books.
0 Replies

stephibaby48

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:04 pm
i was wondering if anyone here could help me. I have an Enid Blyton Misprint...not the original cover it is the ones created after those ones that are plain covers with pictures on the front but still not the newest ones that are out. i got the book about 10 years ago and i just would like to know the value. its "The Adventures of the wishing chair" but its contents are " The wishing chair again".
Thanks...
my e-mail is [email protected] if you want to write me there.
0 Replies

markshumaker

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 04:45 pm
misprinted books
I was wondering if anyone knew of any heidi books that on the binding the title and publisher's name had been misprinted about half inch toward the front cover. Because I bought one the other day and I do not know if it would change its worth or not. Could anyone tell me?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:50 am
Mark--

Welcome to A2K.

Your mis-printed copy of Heidi is probably not terribly valuable unless the book is a first edition.

Heidi has been printed and reprinted hundreds--possibly thousands--of times. The quality of the story is unaffected, but the value of the book is.
llama66

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 01:47 am
@Noddy24,
I just bought a Copy of "Brisinger" by Christopher Paolini and the title, that is usually in Gold ink on the Jacket never got printed on the front of the book or the side. would that increase the value of the book or is this fairly common?
0 Replies

IntentionalOne

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 12:27 pm
I just purchased my son "Dragon of the Red Dawn" - a Magic Tree House" book. When we got it home, we noticed the book started on page 21 (the last page of chapter 2. In addition, the front of the book did not contain the series number. Any thoughts on current or future value?
Tomkitten

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:09 pm
@IntentionalOne,
Very doubtful.
0 Replies

jake5004

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:35 am
@sublime1,
in 6th grade i went to the schools book fair and found a paperback version of harry potter and the sorcerers stone and the cover was on backwards. i assumed it would be valuable so i bought it and was offered 300$ by a book collector last year. a profit of about 294$, not bad for it not being 1st edition. so the value of the misprint depends on the popularity of the book and how much a collector is willing to pay
0 Replies

darthdummie4

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:15 am
i just got a boo k calleg the wrath of ezra. and at pge 16 it repeats all over again till page 16 then goes to page 51. is that worth more than the book itself?
0 Replies

bookworm20x

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 12:10 pm
@sublime1,
I found a strange mistake in a "Treasury of Illustrated Classics" book called Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.
Pages 161 through the end are printed upside down and in the front of the book.
I don't know if this makes it more or less valuable, seeing as it was pretty cheap in the first place, and I don't know how common it is.
Has anyone heard of this, or anything like this, before? Thanks!
0 Replies

bookworm20x

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 12:19 pm
@sublime1,
Just found an article which may answer some questions:

http://www.unicornbookshop.com/pdf/mistaikes_in_books.pdf
0 Replies

xromz24

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:44 pm
I have a first edition hard cover of the first harry potter book and the last two chapters are the same (second to last chapter is doubled) and the last chapter is missing. any ideas of how much it might be worth.
0 Replies

JustAMusicNote

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:59 pm
I have a copy of a book that is even more misprinted than any of these and I was wondering how to find out how much it is worth? The cover of the book says on the front, back, and side that the book is A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare. But as you open the book to read it the inside as well as all of the pages are actually the story The Hound Of The Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It has the entire book in it and I was just wondering is this book worth anything? If anyone could reply to help me out here that would be great!
0 Replies

papad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 06:55 pm
I have a hard copy author signed of cold days, page 345 thru 376 are doulbe printed and page 377 thru 408 are missing any one run across this before
0 Replies