Lesbian Rock

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 03:09 am
OK, I know it's not called Lesbian Rock, but what would you categorise music from the Indigo Girls, Melissa Etherige, Ani DiFranco, Bonnie McKee, Sarah McLachlan and the like?

I'm becoming a big fan of the Indigo Girls. Especially songs like Closer To Fine and Galileo.

Can anybody recommend more music that I may like that falls into this kind of musical taste?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,607 • Replies: 26
No top replies

doglover

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:01 am
I like Fiona Apple and Alanis Morissette.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:20 am
Show tunes..

Laughing kidding..

it depends. What PART of the music do you enjoy the most?? The vocals? If you like that style of female vocals.. Try
Tracey Chapman

is it the folk/ rock style guitar?
Try Joe Ely, or Robert Earl Keen,
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:24 am
shewolfnm wrote:

it depends. What PART of the music do you enjoy the most?? The vocals? If you like that style of female vocals.. Is it the folk/ rock style guitar?

Not a big fan of Tracy Champan, but I like Fiona Apple. I'd have to say it's more the attitude and the vocals. Ani DiFranco recorded a song called "Untouchable Face" where she sang it live in a concert hall where the management objected and asked her to change the lyrics while she was in the middle of singing the song. Instead she laughed them off and emphasized the objectionable word even more. And the audience went crazy. I love that! I want to hear more stuff like that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:36 am
Jewel is no where near that genre of music, but she does have a few songs with that attitude in it.
One , she cant really sing in public because she starts screaming Faggot at the top of her lungs and talks about people wanting to kill jewish kids because of thier hate for jews.

I personally love the song, but not the musical style.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:58 am
Ami Mann?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
Tori Amos. Mazzy Star. Norah Jones. The last two are really mellow though.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:44 am
Are you saying that they are lesbians? Or that their music is attractive to lesbians? I know Sarah McLaughlin is not a lesbian as she is married with a kid. Bi, maybe. Lesbian, no. And Tori Amos and Sarah McLaughlin are very different in their musical styles so I don't see how they could fall into that catagory either. Tori is a bit of a man hater, but Sarah really isn't.

So, are you going for Chick Rock?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:52 am
I don't think he means "lesbian" in a literal sense.

I think he's looking for the lineup for the next Lillith Fair or something like that.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:53 am
Hmm,
These might not be quite what you are looking for, but check out Cat Power, Des Ark, Sleater Kinney, and Le Tigre. Strong voiced young women with attitude.

(And I like 'em all a whole lot.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:57 am
boomerang wrote:
I don't think he means "lesbian" in a literal sense.

I think he's looking for the lineup for the next Lillith Fair or something like that.

I think so too but wanted to make sure. Very Happy
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:11 am
Bella Dea, I'm not playing that game. The indigo Girls and Melissa Etheridge are openly gay. And I think the power behind their music shows that they don't care. The other performers simply have the same persona and beat. I like the sound!

Slappy Doo Hoo, Mazzy Star. Now we're talking...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:25 am
roverroad wrote:
Bella Dea, I'm not playing that game. The indigo Girls and Melissa Etheridge are openly gay. And I think the power behind their music shows that they don't care. The other performers simply have the same persona and beat. I like the sound!

Slappy Doo Hoo, Mazzy Star. Now we're talking...

What game is it you are referring to? I was asking a valid question. You are looking for the same beat and persona....so really, calling it Lesbian Rock was quite misleading, IMO. You should have just said that straight out.

Excuse me for asking for clarification.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:30 am
Ya lost me... Maybe I'm not hearing you over my LESBIAN ROCK!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:46 am
roverroad wrote:

Laughing
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:50 am
roverroad wrote:

Maybe it's just the rocks of intolerance clacking around inside your head roverroad.

Lesbian rock as an alleged format is an insult to lesbians everywhere...

(note the jealousy over the lack of a queer rock thread)
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:04 am
OK this is getting out of hand! We've moved beyond the music now into the political correctness, or the "feelings" category...

Why is saying Lesbian Rock such a bad thing? Especially when it wasn't meant in a derogatory way.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:10 am
roverroad wrote:
OK this is getting out of hand! We've moved beyond the music now into the political correctness, or the "feelings" category...

Why is saying Lesbian Rock such a bad thing? Especially when it wasn't meant in a derogatory way.
Feelings...nothing more than feelings...trying to forget my feelings of love....

feelings....woe woe woe feelings...

(and for the record I wasn't really looking at any of that P.C. crapola...)

Carry on now...and let's not forget Grace Jones in all of this...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:12 am
Who cares. You go to any of these shows, and there's tons of lesbians there. Tori Amos may not be "lesbian rock," but you sure the hell can't tell from the crowd.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:15 am
Oh for Petes sake people I was just asking for clarification of the kind of music he was looking for...was it music BY lesbians? FOR lesbians?

Apparently, neither, which was what I was asking.

By the way, who the hell IS Pete? And why are we doing anything for his sake?
0 Replies