I love cheeses

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:50 am
The history of KRAFT goes back to 1903, when, with $65 in capital, a rented wagon and a horse named Paddy, J.L. Kraft started purchasing cheese at Chicago's Water Street wholesale market and reselling it to local merchants. Within a short time, four of J.L. Kraft's brothers joined him in the business, and, in 1909, they incorporated as J.L. Kraft & Bros. Co. In 1914, J.L. Kraft and his brothers purchased their first cheese factory in Stockton, Illinois. In 1915, they began producing processed cheese in 3-1/2 and 7-3/4 ounce tins. J.L. Kraft's method of producing processed cheese was so revolutionary, in 1916 he obtained a patent for it and in 1917 the company started supplying cheese in tins to the U.S. Government for the armed forces in World War I.

J.L. Kraft followed up on his success with processed cheese in tins by introducing or acquiring many additional products, including processed cheese in loaves, VELVEETA Process Cheese, PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, MIRACLE WHIP Salad Dressing and KRAFT DINNER Macaroni and Cheese. He used innovative advertising to promote his products and was a pioneer in the sponsorship of television and radio shows. Kraft Music Hall on radio and Kraft Television Theatre helped prove the effectiveness of advertising on the then-new media. The company's "hands" commercials, showing a pair of hands preparing recipes using Kraft products, became a symbol of the company's advertising success. Aggressive sales merchandising techniques contributed further to the company's growing market share in an increasingly diverse line of products.

The success of J.L. Kraft and his company was noted by Thomas McInnerney, founder of National Dairy Products Corporation. In 1930, Kraft-Phenix Cheese Corporation (as it was then called) was acquired by National Dairy Products Corporation. Kraft continued to operate as an independent subsidiary of National Dairy Products Corporation for many years, but eventually was absorbed into the operating structure of the parent company, which changed its name to Kraftco Corporation in 1969 and again to Kraft, Inc. in 1976.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,154 • Replies: 36
No top replies

George

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:57 am
Tofu is better for you
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
he ate tofu

and loved it

but dont tell him that. ;-)
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
ah HA!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
sshhhh

its a secret
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:04 am
Side note:
Even all these years removed from St. Mary's School, I still had a
tendency to bow my head as I read the title of this thread.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:07 am
actually i rank processed cheeses right up there with tofu. In fact I am guessing that of all the people I am aware of on a2k, Setanta would be the only "moderate" that eats it. (processed cheeses I mean) The eating of tofu is strickly a mental aberration.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:08 am
i dont care how mental you are

you LIKED it..

> munches on cheeze whizzzz<
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:10 am
Yer goddamned right . . . i don't neve eat no tofu . . .
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:13 am
I
Love
Cheese!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:17 am
I really love real cheese ... and of course I'm remembering this thread by cav.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:18 am
Sad
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:56 pm
One can never have too much cheese or too many potatoes...and the nice thing is they go well together or on their own.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yer goddamned right . . . i don't neve eat no tofu . . .

wrong

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cool
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:21 pm
stealth tofu -- you may not even know you're eating it
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:22 pm
it tiptoes silently onto your plate or into your bowl
and the next thing you know
you're saying yum yum yum
dim sum
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:58 pm
Brie. I love brie. With slices of apple. And wine.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:07 pm
I love most Fench cheeses.

Oh....That should read "I love most "freedom" cheeses."

Don't tell Francis.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:42 pm
Personally, I will eat cheese if somebody else puts it in my food, but you will never see me add it on my own, or even buy any. I don't remember tasting cheese before the age of twelve or thirteen. Perhaps that has a lot to do with it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:57 pm
tofu, cheese, it's all good. I like the hard, crumbly goat and sheepcheses from spain and italy, cheddar, chevre, french feta... hmmmmmmmmm <drool>. I have manchego!
0 Replies