Couple claims world's largest family

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:34 pm
You know it had to happen. It's "God's Will", after all. I guess they're expecting some kind of prize now, or something.

Family welcomes baby No. 17
Immigrants live a simple, if sometimes noisy, life at home in Rancho Cordova, Calif.

"I never thought I would have such a big family," says Vladimir Chernenko, with baby No. 17, David, who is 1 week old. See full image

SACRAMENTO, Calif.-- As a young newlywed in Ukraine, Vladimir Chernenko feared he and his wife, Zynaida, would not be able to have children after six months of fruitless attempts.

Now he knows those fears were unfounded, to say the least.

Zynaida Chernenko has given birth to David -- the Rancho Cordova, Calif., couple's ninth son and 17th child........

Family welcomes baby No. 17 (includes photo)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 59,361 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:52 am
Quote:
Vladimir Chernenko works as a security guard and maintenance man at a charter school.

Quote:
The family, who immigrated to the United States seven years ago to escape religious persecution, receives public assistance.

People have the right to have as many children as they please.......if they can afford to support them. I do think though, that when they need to ask for public assistance, they are going too far. Think about it. You and I are paying to support their lovely family!!! Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 06:40 am
17!

Shocked

Why, why, why?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 06:49 am
"When a person casts his fears up to the Lord, then he helps with everything," Vladimir said.

"We are grateful for this wonderful country, for medical care, for education, for everything that America has given to us," Zynaida said. "As a family, we try to contribute to this country, too."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 07:12 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
People have the right to have as many children as they please.......if they can afford to support them. I do think though, that when they need to ask for public assistance, they are going too far. Think about it. You and I are paying to support their lovely family!!! Sad

But just think, that will be 17 grown-ups paying taxes to cover your social security...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 07:51 am
Personally, I don't think that this is a world record.

One of my good friends from school had eleven sisters and nine brothers. Two sets of twins means mixed in there somewhere, meant that his mum had nineteen separate pregnancies.

They are all alive and well, including the parents, as far as I know.

The dad had a coal delivery company, and paid for their upbringing.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:29 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Well, I'm not, but I know what you mean. I'm sure we have similar situations in Canada.

Whether it's a right or not, I wish common sense would prevail. We talked about this in a couple of other previous threads.

Surely, in this day and age, these decisions are not environmentally-friendly. Mad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:02 am
nimh wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

But just think, that will be 17 grown-ups paying taxes to cover your social security...

Or, if they take the lead from their own parents, adding to the welfare rolls!

Remember, Social Security is not a program that one enrolls in by choice. If I had had my druthers, I would have taken the money that I put into social security, and invested it myself. I know that I would have done much, much better than the pittance that I am getting from Social Security.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:13 am
Quote:

"We are grateful for this wonderful country, for medical care, for education, for everything that America has given to us,"

I would be too if america paid for my family..

all nastiness aside....... 17 kids.. well.. even someone with a million dollars in their savings account would have a hard time affording that many kids.
I dont understand having a herd of kids....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:01 am
Yeah, that's no record.

My grandmother came from a family of 17 children.

She was 13 when she came to the U.S.
Her mother was still having babies in Poland
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:09 am
Didnt some woman in the north eastern states just give birth to her... `16th ? child? not too long ago?

and she was younger then 40 it seemed.. and ready to have more
Lady J

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:16 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Didnt some woman in the north eastern states just give birth to her... `16th ? child? not too long ago?

and she was younger then 40 it seemed.. and ready to have more

Yes, shewolf. In Arkansas. 16 babies and not saying no to more. The big difference is. this Arkansas family is not on public assistance in any way. They are actually paying for their own food, their own education of their children and their own medical expenses and they own their own home. Dad is (obviously) a successful attorney.

I wonder......if I had more than 10 kids and wanted to immigrate to another country, for whatever reason, do you think we could get on our new country's welfare plan straight away?
msolga

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:02 am
I'm wondering how well the parents would know all 17 children.
Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:56 am
Private Parent Time would be hard to come by.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:57 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Private Parent Time would be hard to come by.

Noddy- They HAD to have some private time to create 17 kids! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 01:03 pm
Phoenix--

Unfortunately, babies can be conceived in an instant.

I was thinking about the one-on-one mother/father/child quality time. Sure, older siblings can do some mentoring, but Private Parent Time would be scarce.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
Seriously though, I think that in large families, the older siblings act in loco parentis. My mom had six siblings. There was one sister (not the oldest) who related as the mother figure, even when the siblings were grown up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:34 pm
Phoenix--

My first father-in-law came from a family of eleven. The oldest girl never married because she didn't want to raise more children.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Can you blame her???
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:25 am
Hell no, Phoenix! One of the consequences of such huge number of offspring is that the oldest ones can lose their childhood. I doubt the parents would have considered whether this was a fair thing, though. Rolling Eyes Sure, some care & responsibility for the younger ones is most likely a good thing .... but when there's something like 17 children, that's putting far too much on the older ones. Unfair, & quite selfish of the parents.