Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:34 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
We had a gang right here in the LAncaster Chester County areas on the late 1970's .It was called "The Johnson Gang" and they too used several means that were dsiplayed in "Animal..."

Commiserations, farmer .
Not nice at all, I know.

OK , Oz films ...
Past & present.
Thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking ...

Remind us again of your broad "genre" preferences.
Though I do know that can be fairly limiting.

farmerman

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 04:22 am
@msolga,
I like the "wilderness or Outback" type movies where the natural surrounds become one of the characters. I also love really good plot twists and dialogue rather than CGI .
msolga

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 06:28 am
@farmerman,
OK, my Oz movie think hat is on, farmer.

Let me think for a bit.

If any one else has any suggestions, post away.

farmerman

Wed 26 Jan, 2011 03:50 pm
@msolga,
Just watched A SERIOUS MAN.
Its a Coen brothers thing. The only message I can see is

1Shit Happens

or

2If it AInt one Thing Its Another
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 27 Jan, 2011 01:28 am
@msolga,
OK (Oz films you may or may not be interested in, farmer.)

Have you seen Balibo? (About the death of 5 Australian journalists at the hands of the Indonesian military when Indonesia invaded East Timor in 1975? ... And covered up by the Oz & Indonesian governments at the time.)

Or Have you seen My Year Without Sex, or Look Both Ways (fairly recent "human interest" type films, in urban settings. Both delightful & directed by the same person, not too heavy films.)

You might also be interested in Jindabyne:

... which may not be your cup of tea, film-wise, I don't know.

It was made by Ray Lawrence, director of my very favourite not-too-long-ago Oz film, Lantana.:

Then there's Beautiful Kate (2009)

There are a few others that come to mind, but let me know how these few appeal, OK?

One film, from way back, which kind of fits, is a coming of age film: The Year My Voice Broke. One of my long-time favourites. Growing up in a small rural Oz community when you don't quite fit in. Square pegs in a round holes.

See what you make of this lot, farmer.
Not quite what you described as what you were looking for, but good films, never-the-less.

farmerman

Thu 27 Jan, 2011 06:59 am
@msolga,
Thank you, I did watch Bilabo through Netflix, now that we have streaming Netflix, I have a need for a constant flow of movies into the house.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:37 pm
In the theater waiting for the start of Barney's Version starring the always begrizzled Paul Giametti.

Let you know if it's bragworthy and if Giametti got snubbed again at this year's Oscars.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 08:30 pm
A bit of advice from those in the know, please?

I haven't seen a film in ages! (though I've watched quite a few DVDs)
... For so long I'm completely out of the loop with what's out there right now

The link below shows you what's showing at the cinema I frequent. Any really solid "must see" recommendations, anyone?
Has anyone seen Howl?
Verdict?
(I'm not interested in seeing Black Swan. Sorry if that offends. Wink )

http://www.cinemanova.com.au/
tsarstepan

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 08:54 pm
@msolga,
Me? I'm not really interested in the Beatnik/Allen Ginsburg era so I won't be seeing Howl. You're not interested in seeing Black Swan? Quelle domage!

I do highly recommend Certified Copy. Great screen chemistry between Juliette Binoche and William Shimell.

True Grit is a fun adventure. Don't recommend Last Train Home.

Seen Barney's Version, Last Train Home, Inside Job, CC, True Grit, Black Swan, The Fighter, and The King's Speech.
msolga

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you, tsar!

OK, I will further investigate Certified Copy.

You think Black Swan is worth a look then? (Read mixed reviews.)

cicerone imposter

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I thought The King's Speech was an excellent movie.
tsarstepan

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wholeheartedly agree.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:30 pm
@msolga,
Black Swan has some absolutely incredible performances. By Natalie Portman (her best performance), by Milos Kinos, by Vincent Cassell, and by Ellen Burstyn.

Great cinematography. Beautiful music. Excellent direction. Chilling story. Received an 87% on the tomatoemeter rating. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_swan_2010/#!reviews=top_critics

Where Howl got only a 52% tomatoemeter rating from the top critics.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:30 pm
@msolga,
Black Swan has some absolutely incredible performances. By Natalie Portman (her best performance), by Milos Kinos, by Vincent Cassell, and by Ellen Burstyn.

Great cinematography. Beautiful music. Excellent direction. Chilling story. Received an 87% on the tomatoemeter rating. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_swan_2010/#!reviews=top_critics

Where Howl got only a 52% tomatoemeter rating from the top critics.
msolga

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, ci & tsar.
I wasn't sure about that one, fearing it might be just another well made "period drama", which I sometimes feel as though I've seen too many of. Wink (though I certainly have seen the excellent reviews.)
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
I may have to reconsider Black Swan, then, tsar.
I usually respect your opinion in these things. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
People vary.
Last movie I'd be interested in, and I am interested in a lot, it black swan.
msolga

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, we certainly do vary in our film likes and dislikes.
I'll go with that!
0 Replies

snood

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:15 pm
I just saw The Fighter with Mark Wahlburg and Christian Bale. Very entertaining and seemed very grittily real.
msolga

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:18 pm
@snood,
Thank you, snood.
It's starting to look like I might have to see them all! Smile
0 Replies