How Should a Christian Act?

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:26 am
Ok, I really would like to hear (mostly) from those that do not believe in the Christian faith.

Can you tell me how you feel a Christian should act and why you feel this way? I am really trying to understand others about this and this seems to be the best way ~ just ask! :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 34,161 • Replies: 689
No top replies

highlyoriginal

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:12 am
As a non-believer who has read The Bible, I would expect a Christian who is true to the teachings of Jesus to...

Value the spiritual rather than the material.

Be pacific rather than belligerent. Gentle and forgiving rather than judgemental and vengeful.

Make helping others less fortunate than themselves, in practical ways, an everyday part of their life.

To pray and worship in private, making it a communion between themselves and God, and not a public display.

Why? Because my reading of The New Testament is that those are the essential teachings of Jesus.

Whether doing those things is morally right or wrong, and to what extent self-professed Christians do them, are of course separate questions.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:18 am
Uh, I can't remember exactly. I guess it's been a while. I know they're supposed to obey the Ten Commandments, and then there's also the Golden Rule (isn't that a Christian thing?). Oh, I have a cousin who is Christian (he's also gay...how 'bout that!). He told me once that a Christian must... umm....something about Jesus, and then do unto others and all that (sorry...can't quite remember). Just as well. He was probably making up his own "gay rules", anyway.
So you tell me Momma. What's a good Christian supposed to do?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:20 am
I'd add be inclusive, rather than exclusive.

Demonstrate love for one's fellow man.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:51 am
One thing I do know:
If I was someone who really did believe that all I needed to do to get into Heaven was to follow a few simple rules while on Earth, I would have nooooo problem. Heaven, here I come! Forever!
Maybe the reason it is so hard for a Christian to always be a "good Christian" is that many of them don't believe. I can remember when I was a kid, people used to say it was important to attend mass at least once a week in order to strengthen your faith. I wonder, now, if that's any different from brainwashing.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:37 am
A true christian, one that held true to all biblical scripture, would have to act contradictory and paradoxical to the point you would suspect they were actually discordian.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:52 am
Re: How Should a Christian Act?
Momma Angel wrote:
Ok, I really would like to hear (mostly) from those that do not believe in the Christian faith.

Can you tell me how you feel a Christian should act and why you feel this way? I am really trying to understand others about this and this seems to be the best way ~ just ask! :wink:

Why do you care? What's the difference how non-Christians think Christians should act? Is this fodder for some weekly Christian discussion group or something? I can just see you and your fellow christians gathered around the living room talking about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket and how it would be so much better if we could just understand the thinking of the non-believers, in order to save them...

Of course, that whole scenario could be just my imagination, runnin' away with me...
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:27 am
M A, you're asking a broad question. (no puns intended ;-)) not being Christian, i shouldn't expect them to act in any way different from non-Christians, but i can hope that they act in a similar way to how i would act, and it would take a long post to fully specify my personal ethics, so i'll just mention a few key things:

nothing in excess
observe the golden rule (which is not unique to Christianity, in case you didn't know)
ends don't justify the means, until you've tried all other means
practice what you preach
acknowledge mistakes instead of rationalizing them
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:51 am
Good morning, Momma. I suspect that all people should try and adhere to their inner beliefs whatever they are. I still contend that one should never wound another's soul, and that we should WANT to help those in need without expecting praise and tax breaks. <smile>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:17 am
I don't think I can help tou much here, Momma. I don't know too many people whom I would consider to be Christians. Oh, there are those who say they are and who attend church with fair regularity, but saying that I'm really a Martian doesn't entitle me to citizenship on that planet. I do have one very close friend who, along with his wife, claims to be 'born again.' He has four university degrees (include a Master's from Harvard) and he believes that every single word in the Bible is absolutely God's own truth. Go figure. I never argue the point with him, as it seems to be somehow important to his emotional well-being; so, if the subject of religion comes up, I try to change it. To his credit, I must say he has never tried to convert me, at least not any serious attempt, probably undertsanding the futility of that and realizing that, by and large, I live by a morality that is not far removed from the teachings of Jesus. This fellow, by the way, despite claiming to be 'born again' has never tried to get the date on his birth ceritficate changed. Me, I don't care to be born again. My mom did it right the first time around.

But that's a long ramble. To answer your question more directly, I expect Christians to act exactly like any other decent person would act in similar situations. I don't subscribe to the notion that one group is somehow the "elect" while the rest of us should sit back and learn from you who claim to be "saved."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:52 am
Who cares?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:51 am
Kickycan Wrote:

Quote:
Why do you care? What's the difference how non-Christians think Christians should act? Is this fodder for some weekly Christian discussion group or something? I can just see you and your fellow christians gathered around the living room talking about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket and how it would be so much better if we could just understand the thinking of the non-believers, in order to save them...

Of course, that whole scenario could be just my imagination, runnin' away with me...

Hi Kickycan, I am glad you posted. Let me try to explain exactly why I started this particular thread:

Many on these threads, Christians, non-Christians, etc., have made comments about how Christians should or should not act. They make references to it and not full explanations most times.

When you picture something about me Kickycan, the real truth is I am usually sitting in the front of my computer (I work from home), in my office with all my cats (I run a homeless cat shelter) surrounding me. Some of them are Christian and are are not, by the way. Most cats are heathens ~ well, they at least act like they are. :wink:

No, it's not a Bible study. I truly want to understand why other people think, feel, and believe the way they do. Not in order to convert them, though. In order to be a part of this world, I think it is important to understand the people in it.

Mostly what I get from posts about how Christians are to act is a feeling that if someone says they are a Christian, they should be perfect. Now, that's just the feeling I get. I am not saying that is what others think. So, instead of assuming that is the case, I thought I'd ask.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:54 am
Highlyoriginal Wrote:

Quote:
As a non-believer who has read The Bible, I would expect a Christian who is true to the teachings of Jesus to...

Value the spiritual rather than the material.

Be pacific rather than belligerent. Gentle and forgiving rather than judgemental and vengeful.

Make helping others less fortunate than themselves, in practical ways, an everyday part of their life.

To pray and worship in private, making it a communion between themselves and God, and not a public display.

Why? Because my reading of The New Testament is that those are the essential teachings of Jesus.

Whether doing those things is morally right or wrong, and to what extent self-professed Christians do them, are of course separate questions.

Thank you for posting, Highlyoriginal. I love what you have posted. You seem to have a good feeling of what I believe it is about too.

I do have to ask though, do you mean Christians should not pray in public or are you speaking of separation of church and state here?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:57 am
echi Wrote:

Quote:
Uh, I can't remember exactly. I guess it's been a while. I know they're supposed to obey the Ten Commandments, and then there's also the Golden Rule (isn't that a Christian thing?). Oh, I have a cousin who is Christian (he's also gay...how 'bout that!). He told me once that a Christian must... umm....something about Jesus, and then do unto others and all that (sorry...can't quite remember). Just as well. He was probably making up his own "gay rules", anyway.
So you tell me Momma. What's a good Christian supposed to do?

You and I have been chatting a bit and I'd love to chat some more with you. I have been enjoying those conversations.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:58 am
DrewDad Wrote:

Quote:
I'd add be inclusive, rather than exclusive.

Demonstrate love for one's fellow man.

Very clear and precise. And I sure can't disagree with this!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in [i]Micah Clarke[/i] wrote:
I can clearly see that, in honesty, men must either give up war, or else they must confess that the words of the redeemer are too lofty for them, and that there is no longer any use in pretending that His teaching can be reduced to practice. I have seen a Christian minister blessing a cannon which had just been founded, and another blessing a warship as it glided from the slips. They, the so-called representatives of Christ, blessed these engines of destruction which cruel man has devised to destroy and tear his fellow-worms. What would we say if we read in holy writ of our Lord having blessed the battering-rams and catapults of the legions? Would we think that it was in agreement with his teaching?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
Doktor S Wrote:

Quote:
A true christian, one that held true to all biblical scripture, would have to act contradictory and paradoxical to the point you would suspect they were actually discordian.

Thank you for posting. I would really like to hear more on this. Could you elaborate on it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:03 am
Dok has trouble reconciling the OT and NT. Understandable. Most believers can't wrap their brains around it either.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:04 am
Yitwail Wrote:

Quote:
M A, you're asking a broad question. (no puns intended ) not being Christian, i shouldn't expect them to act in any way different from non-Christians, but i can hope that they act in a similar way to how i would act, and it would take a long post to fully specify my personal ethics, so i'll just mention a few key things:

nothing in excess
observe the golden rule (which is not unique to Christianity, in case you didn't know)
ends don't justify the means, until you've tried all other means
practice what you preach
acknowledge mistakes instead of rationalizing them.

Laughing No offense taken, yitwail. I'm surprised you don't expect Christians to act in a way different than anyone else. Pleasantly surprised.

I agree with what you posted. But, can you explain a bit more the ....until you've tried all other means. That intrigues me.

Thank you so much for posting Yitwail!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:07 am
Letty Wrote:

Quote:
Good morning, Momma. I suspect that all people should try and adhere to their inner beliefs whatever they are. I still contend that one should never wound another's soul, and that we should WANT to help those in need without expecting praise and tax breaks. <smile>

Letty, how nice to see you! How are you doing? I hope all is well with you. I always love reading what you post. You have such a gentle spirit.

That last statement about should WANT to help, is so very true. We should want to help, in fact, be honored to help. Laughing
0 Replies