McClellan Battles Reporters Over Bush Backing DeLay

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:48 am
White House Briefing: McClellan Battles Reporters Over Bush Backing DeLay
By E&P Staff
Published: December 15, 2005 4:45 PM ET
NEW YORK

You could see these questions coming a mile away. After months of refusing to comment on the Plame/CIA probe, and the indictment of Lewis "Scooter" Libby -- saying he did not want to "prejudge" an "ongoing investigation" -- President Bush on Wednesday night unabashedly told Fox News' Brit Hume that he believed Rep. Tom DeLay was not guilty of charges against him.

This sparked a storm of questioning at the daily briefing on Thursday by White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan, with NBCs David Gregory leading the way, accusing the administration of being "hypocritical" and "inconsistent" on this matter, "ad nauseum."

McClellan fired back, denying the charge and suggesting that the newsman was getting "all dramatic about it."

The relevant part of the transcript follows.

Q Scott, the President told Brit Hume that he thought that Tom DeLay is not guilty, even though the prosecution is obviously ongoing. What does the President feel about Scooter Libby? Does he feel that Mr. Libby --

MR. McCLELLAN: A couple of things. First of all, the President was asked a question and he responded to that question in the interview yesterday, and made very clear what his views were. We don't typically tend to get into discussing legal matters of that nature, but in this instance, the President chose to respond to it. Our policy regarding the Fitzgerald investigation and ongoing legal proceeding is well-known and it remains unchanged. And so I'm just not going to have anything further to say. But we've had a policy in place for a long time regarding the Fitzgerald investigation.

Q Why would that not apply to the same type of prosecution involving Congressman DeLay?

MR. McCLELLAN: I just told you we had a policy in place regarding this investigation, and you've heard me say before that we're not going to talk about it further while it's ongoing.

Q Well, if it's prejudging the Fitzgerald investigation, isn't it prejudging the Texas investigation with regard to Congressman DeLay?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I think I've answered your question.

Q Can I follow up on that"? Is the President at all concerned that his opinion on this being expressed publicly could influence a potential jury pool, could influence public opinion on this in an improper way?

MR. McCLELLAN: I think that in this instance he was just responding to a question that was asked about Congressman DeLay, about Leader DeLay, and in terms of the issue that Peter brings up, I think that we've had a policy in place, going back to 2003, and that's a White House policy.

Q But that policy has been based in part, in the leak investigation and other things, on the idea that it is simply wrong for a President to prejudge a criminal matter, particularly when it's under indictment or trial stage. Why would he --

MR. McCLELLAN: And that's one -- this is an ongoing investigation regarding possible administration officials. So I think there are some differences here.

Q There are lots of times when you don't comment on any sort of legal --

MR. McCLELLAN: There are also legal matters that we have commented on, as well. And certainly there are legal matters when it goes to Saddam Hussein.

Q So the President is inconsistent?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, David, we put a policy in place regarding this investigation --

Q But it's hypocritical. You have a policy for some investigations and not others, when it's a political ally who you need to get work done?

MR. McCLELLAN: Call it presidential prerogative; he responded to that question. But the White House established a policy --

Q Doesn't it raise questions about his credibility that he's going to weigh in on some matters and not others, and we're just supposed to sit back and wait for him to decide what he wants to comment on and influence?

MR. McCLELLAN: Congressman DeLay's matter is an ongoing legal proceeding --

Q As is the Fitzgerald investigation --

MR. McCLELLAN: The Fitzgerald investigation is --

Q -- As you've told us ad nauseam from the podium.

MR. McCLELLAN: It's an ongoing investigation, as well.

Q How can you not -- how can you say there's differences between the two, and we're supposed to buy that? There's no differences. The President decided to weigh in on one, and not the other.

MR. McCLELLAN: There are differences.

Q And the public is supposed to accept the fact that he's got no comment on the conduct of senior officials of the White House, but when it's a political ally over on the Hill who's got to help him get work done, then he's happy to try to influence that legal process.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, not at all. Not at all. You can get all dramatic about it, but you know what our policy is.

Go ahead, Paula.

Q I do have a question about White House ethics guidelines --

MR. McCLELLAN: I think the American people understand.

Q No, they don't. And the only thing that's dramatic is the inconsistency of the policy and you trying to defend it.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, the policy has been in place since 2003.

Go ahead, Paula.

Q I have a question about White House ethics guidelines which is outside the scope of the Fitzgerald investigation. I'm not talking about criminal offense. Last week, Robert Novak, in a public speech, said that reporters should be asking the President who the anonymous source is because he believes he knows. And my question is, was it ethical to change the grounds of dismissal from "anyone involved" in the disclosure of classified information, to "anyone convicted" in the disclosure of classified information? And if the President did not take action privately, is it ethical for him not to have done anything?

MR. McCLELLAN: As I've indicated, our policy hasn't changed on this matter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,590 • Replies: 19
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 09:28 am
Scott McClellan is such a pathetically bad liar. We need to bring back Ari Fleischer.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:04 am
Point out the lie, Joe.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:27 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Point out the lie, Joe.

Q Scott, the President told Brit Hume that he thought that Tom DeLay is not guilty, even though the prosecution is obviously ongoing. What does the President feel about Scooter Libby? Does he feel that Mr. Libby --

MR. McCLELLAN: A couple of things. First of all, the President was asked a question and he responded to that question in the interview yesterday, and made very clear what his views were. We don't typically tend to get into discussing legal matters of that nature [that's simply not true, as is evidenced by the president's remarks to Brit Hume] but in this instance, the President chose to respond to it. Our policy regarding the Fitzgerald investigation and ongoing legal proceeding is well-known and it remains unchanged. And so I'm just not going to have anything further to say. But we've had a policy in place for a long time regarding the Fitzgerald investigation. [Not so: administration officials have commented on the Fitzgerald investigation. And McClellan has stated that the administration won't answer any questions about legal proceedings:[list]any time there is a legal proceeding such as that, we don't discuss it. I mean, I think you can look back at -

Q Because -

MR. McCLELLAN: Because it's a legal matter, and it's before the courts[/list]Nov. 2, 2005 press gaggle
]

Q Why would that not apply to the same type of prosecution involving Congressman DeLay?

MR. McCLELLAN: I just told you we had a policy in place regarding this investigation, and you've heard me say before that we're not going to talk about it further while it's ongoing. [That's not a lie, that's just a standard evasion]

Q Well, if it's prejudging the Fitzgerald investigation, isn't it prejudging the Texas investigation with regard to Congressman DeLay?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I think I've answered your question. [That is most definitely a lie: McClellan didn't even come close to answering the question]

Q Can I follow up on that"? Is the President at all concerned that his opinion on this being expressed publicly could influence a potential jury pool, could influence public opinion on this in an improper way?

MR. McCLELLAN: I think that in this instance he was just responding to a question that was asked about Congressman DeLay, about Leader DeLay, and in terms of the issue that Peter brings up, I think that we've had a policy in place, going back to 2003, and that's a White House policy. [A policy that the White House has ignored whenever it saw fit to do so]

Q But that policy has been based in part, in the leak investigation and other things, on the idea that it is simply wrong for a President to prejudge a criminal matter, particularly when it's under indictment or trial stage. Why would he --

MR. McCLELLAN: And that's one -- this is an ongoing investigation regarding possible administration officials. So I think there are some differences here. [No, there are no differences here: that's an equivocation]

MR. McCLELLAN: There are also legal matters that we have commented on, as well. And certainly there are legal matters when it goes to Saddam Hussein.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, David, we put a policy in place regarding this investigation -- [Is the president inconsistent? Of course. Was that a lie? You bet.]

Q But it's hypocritical. You have a policy for some investigations and not others, when it's a political ally who you need to get work done?

MR. McCLELLAN: Call it presidential prerogative; he responded to that question. But the White House established a policy -- [Poor Scotty -- now he's reduced to calling the president's hypocrisy a "presidential prerogative."]

Q Doesn't it raise questions about his credibility that he's going to weigh in on some matters and not others, and we're just supposed to sit back and wait for him to decide what he wants to comment on and influence?

MR. McCLELLAN: It's an ongoing investigation, as well. [And thus we see how McClellan differs so profoundly from Fleischer: when cornered, as here, McClellan often inadvertently blurts out the truth. Fleischer would never do anything that stupid.]

Q How can you not -- how can you say there's differences between the two, and we're supposed to buy that? There's no differences. The President decided to weigh in on one, and not the other.

MR. McCLELLAN: There are differences. [Nope, there aren't]

Q And the public is supposed to accept the fact that he's got no comment on the conduct of senior officials of the White House, but when it's a political ally over on the Hill who's got to help him get work done, then he's happy to try to influence that legal process.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, not at all. Not at all. You can get all dramatic about it, but you know what our policy is. [No, that can't possibly be true, since not even McClellan knows what the policy is. Indeed, there really is no policy.]

Go ahead, Paula.

Q No, they don't. And the only thing that's dramatic is the inconsistency of the policy and you trying to defend it.

Go ahead, Paula.

Q I have a question about White House ethics guidelines which is outside the scope of the Fitzgerald investigation. I'm not talking about criminal offense. Last week, Robert Novak, in a public speech, said that reporters should be asking the President who the anonymous source is because he believes he knows. And my question is, was it ethical to change the grounds of dismissal from "anyone involved" in the disclosure of classified information, to "anyone convicted" in the disclosure of classified information? And if the President did not take action privately, is it ethical for him not to have done anything?

MR. McCLELLAN: As I've indicated, our policy hasn't changed on this matter. [Another pathetic lie. The reporter is correct: the president initially said that he would fire anyone "involved" in the Plame scandal, then later he said he would fire anyone "convicted." That's a change in policy.]
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:05 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Point out the lie, Joe.

MR. McCLELLAN: A couple of things. First of all, the President was asked a question and he responded to that question in the interview yesterday, and made very clear what his views were. We don't typically tend to get into discussing legal matters of that nature [that's simply not true, as is evidenced by the president's remarks to Brit Hume] [Perhaps you failed to read the word "typically"?] but in this instance, the President chose to respond to it. Our policy regarding the Fitzgerald investigation and ongoing legal proceeding is well-known and it remains unchanged. And so I'm just not going to have anything further to say. But we've had a policy in place for a long time regarding the Fitzgerald investigation. [Not so: administration officials have commented on the Fitzgerald investigation][The fact that the policy may have not been followed by individual staffers does not mean the policy is not in place, or hasn't been in place for a long time.]

MR. McCLELLAN: I just told you we had a policy in place regarding this investigation, and you've heard me say before that we're not going to talk about it further while it's ongoing. [That's not a lie, that's just a standard evasion][Right ... not a lie.]

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I think I've answered your question. [That is most definitely a lie: McClellan didn't even come close to answering the question] [Maybe I should find out what you consider a lie to be, because it's not a lie if McClellan believes he answered the question. You might not like the answer, you might want him to give a fuller answer, you might think his answer was not responsive, but if he's adopting his prior answer, he's answered the question.]

MR. McCLELLAN: I think that in this instance he was just responding to a question that was asked about Congressman DeLay, about Leader DeLay, and in terms of the issue that Peter brings up, I think that we've had a policy in place, going back to 2003, and that's a White House policy. [A policy that the White House has ignored whenever it saw fit to do so][Ignoring a policy is not a lie.]

MR. McCLELLAN: And that's one -- this is an ongoing investigation regarding possible administration officials. So I think there are some differences here. [No, there are no differences here: that's an equivocation][Not a lie.]

MR. McCLELLAN: No, David, we put a policy in place regarding this investigation -- [Is the president inconsistent? Of course. Was that a lie? You bet.][That comes the closest so far. But he's claiming a distinction because one case involves the investigation of a legislator, while the other involves an investigation of of his administration.]

MR. McCLELLAN: Call it presidential prerogative; he responded to that question. But the White House established a policy -- [Poor Scotty -- now he's reduced to calling the president's hypocrisy a "presidential prerogative."][Not a lie.]

MR. McCLELLAN: It's an ongoing investigation, as well. [And thus we see how McClellan differs so profoundly from Fleischer: when cornered, as here, McClellan often inadvertently blurts out the truth. Fleischer would never do anything that stupid.][Not a lie.]

MR. McCLELLAN: There are differences. [Nope, there aren't][There obviously are differences. You may not want to recognize them, but they exist. Not a lie.]

MR. McCLELLAN: No, not at all. Not at all. You can get all dramatic about it, but you know what our policy is. [No, that can't possibly be true, since not even McClellan knows what the policy is. Indeed, there really is no policy.] [He believes there is a policy. If there is a policy, and if he believes the questioner knows what the policy is, there is no lie.]

Go ahead, Paula.

Go ahead, Paula.

MR. McCLELLAN: As I've indicated, our policy hasn't changed on this matter. [Another pathetic lie. The reporter is correct: the president initially said that he would fire anyone "involved" in the Plame scandal, then later he said he would fire anyone "convicted." That's a change in policy.][That's just plain wrong, Joe. When he was first asked about the Plame case on September 30, 2003, Bush said, "If there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of." Since you were wrong, shall I conclude that it is you who is lying?]
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Point out the lie, Joe.

MR. McCLELLAN: A couple of things. First of all, the President was asked a question and he responded to that question in the interview yesterday, and made very clear what his views were. We don't typically tend to get into discussing legal matters of that nature [that's simply not true, as is evidenced by the president's remarks to Brit Hume] [Perhaps you failed to read the word "typically"?] Another weasel word but in this instance, the President chose to respond to it. Our policy regarding the Fitzgerald investigation and ongoing legal proceeding is well-known and it remains unchanged. And so I'm just not going to have anything further to say. But we've had a policy in place for a long time regarding the Fitzgerald investigation. [Not so: administration officials have commented on the Fitzgerald investigation][The fact that the policy may have not been followed by individual staffers does not mean the policy is not in place, or hasn't been in place for a long time.] If a policy isn't followed, then it isn't a policy, unless the policy is not to follow the policy.

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I think I've answered your question. [That is most definitely a lie: McClellan didn't even come close to answering the question] [Maybe I should find out what you consider a lie to be, because it's not a lie if McClellan believes he answered the question. You might not like the answer, you might want him to give a fuller answer, you might think his answer was not responsive, but if he's adopting his prior answer, he's answered the question.] So, in other words, you follow the George Costanza rule: "it's not a lie if you believe it." I don't.

MR. McCLELLAN: I think that in this instance he was just responding to a question that was asked about Congressman DeLay, about Leader DeLay, and in terms of the issue that Peter brings up, I think that we've had a policy in place, going back to 2003, and that's a White House policy. [A policy that the White House has ignored whenever it saw fit to do so][Ignoring a policy is not a lie.] But lying about the policy is.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, David, we put a policy in place regarding this investigation -- [Is the president inconsistent? Of course. Was that a lie? You bet.][That comes the closest so far. But he's claiming a distinction because one case involves the investigation of a legislator, while the other involves an investigation of of his administration.] That's a distinction without any meaningful difference in this context

MR. McCLELLAN: There are differences. [Nope, there aren't][There obviously are differences. You may not want to recognize them, but they exist. Not a lie.] George Costanza again

MR. McCLELLAN: No, not at all. Not at all. You can get all dramatic about it, but you know what our policy is. [No, that can't possibly be true, since not even McClellan knows what the policy is. Indeed, there really is no policy.] [He believes there is a policy. If there is a policy, and if he believes the questioner knows what the policy is, there is no lie.] George Costanza again

Go ahead, Paula.

Go ahead, Paula.

MR. McCLELLAN: As I've indicated, our policy hasn't changed on this matter. [Another pathetic lie. The reporter is correct: the president initially said that he would fire anyone "involved" in the Plame scandal, then later he said he would fire anyone "convicted." That's a change in policy.][That's just plain wrong, Joe. When he was first asked about the Plame case on September 30, 2003, Bush said, "If there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of." Since you were wrong, shall I conclude that it is you who is lying?] Scott McClellan on Sept. 29, 2003:[list]Q: Scott, has anyone -- has the president tried to find out who outed the CIA agent? And has he fired anyone in the White House yet?

McCLELLAN: Well, Helen, that's assuming a lot of things. First of all, that is not the way this White House operates. The president expects everyone in his administration to adhere to the highest standards of conduct. No one would be authorized to do such a thing.

[...]

McCLELLAN: The president has set high standards, the highest of standards for people in his administration. He's made it very clear to people in his administration that he expects them to adhere to the highest standards of conduct. If anyone in this administration was involved in it, they would no longer be in this administration[/list]Sorry, Tico, that's one day before your Bush quotation. So the first official statement from the White House was that Bush would fire anyone involved in the Plame case.

I expect to be busy for the rest of the day. I may not be able to reply until Sunday or Monday.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:42 am
You're all we on this one, Tico.

I know you're a lawyer and all, and love to argue the fine points, but it's true that McClellan is a pathetically bad liar.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:49 am
joefromchicago wrote:
I expect to be busy for the rest of the day. I may not be able to reply until Sunday or Monday.

That's okay. What color should I go with for my response?

I'm thinking fuchsia....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:49 am
DrewDad wrote:

Just so you know, I think you're all we too, DD.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Just so you know, I think you're all we too, DD.
Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:57 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
<snip>
MR. McCLELLAN: As I've indicated, our policy hasn't changed on this matter.

Another pathetic lie. The reporter is correct: the president initially said that he would fire anyone "involved" in the Plame scandal, then later he said he would fire anyone "convicted." That's a change in policy.

That's just plain wrong, Joe. When he was first asked about the Plame case on September 30, 2003, Bush said, "If there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of." Since you were wrong, shall I conclude that it is you who is lying?

~~~~~
on another thread <in case you'd forgotten>
Ticomaya wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I believe he said he would fire someone if they committed a crime. And he said it was the Dept. of Justice's role to determine that. I don't recall him saying, "I'm gonna fire the leaker."

~~~~~~~
Quote:
Mr. Bush said in June 2004 that he would fire anyone in his administration shown to have leaked information that exposed the identity of Plame, the wife of former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, an outspoken critic of the president's Iraq policy.

On Monday, however, he added the qualifier that it would have to be shown that a crime was committed.

will he change his mind again?
<snip>
link

I refer you to this 10/27/05 post of mine
<snip>
He initially was very specific about his requirement that there be a violation of the law. In 2004, he was less than specific about that, and all the leftist media jumped all over it. However, his specific statements on this subject control over the general ones.

so what is it?

it's gotta be shown ... it's gotta be a crime ... it's gotta be shown ... it's gotta be a crime.

Language may not be important to lawyers where you work, but this'd be a slam dunk if I wanted to go after someone in discoveries here. As my favourite lawyer here (IRL) says, "If you/your company representative made both of these statements, and the evidence says that you did, I win."

I disagree with both of ChicagoJoe and ticomayo. I think the reporter was wrong and so was Mr. McLellan.

Mr. Bush managed to be quoted changing his mind at least twice. Who knows how many times he's really flip-flopped on this? He's probably the only one who knows for sure. His first opinion on this? Again, he's probably the only one who knows for sure.

~~~~~~~~

I started this post before ChicagoJoe popped in another McLellan reference - preceding ticomayo's Bush reference. Maybe McLellan and Bush oughta co-ordinate their public speaking plans a bit better.

~~~~~~

"leftist media". gotta love it. the nyt is a government apologist - who gets to be the leftist media in the u.s. these days?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:29 pm
ehBeth, As in all things, everyone interprets things as they need to see them. Tico has to interpret everything to favor what he needs it to, because if he doesn't, it's means he's been wrong all this time. Tico is a hard line rightwinger, and it is his DUTY to protect Bush and the rightwing mantra. Don't expect him to accept anything else. He really doesn't care if Bush lied, it just doesn't matter. As long as the rightwing agenda is being pursued, anything is OK with Tico!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
Do you remember when Mclellan told everyone that Karl Rove had personally informed him that he had nothing to do with the Plame matter?

That means that either:

Rove lied to Mclellan

or

Scotty lied to the pool.

You decide. But you can't f*cking weasel your way out of admitting that one of them was lying in this case.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
Cyclo, Like I said, Tico really doesn't give a **** what they said, he will interpret it to what he wants it to mean. He has no choice as a "defender of the faith"!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
ehBeth wrote:
so what is it?

it's gotta be shown ... it's gotta be a crime ... it's gotta be shown ... it's gotta be a crime.

In the September 29, 2003, Press Briefing, cited by Joe, McClellen originally said:

Quote:
MR. McCLELLAN: If someone leaked classified information of the nature that has been reported, absolutely, the President would want it to be looked into. And the Justice Department would be the appropriate agency to do so.

"Of the nature" that had been reported would mean a crime had been committed.

Quote:
MR. McCLELLAN: ... My understanding is that if something like this happened and it was referred to the Department of Justice, then the Department of Justice would look to see whether or not there is enough information to pursue it further.

By my count, McClellan indicated some 20 times before he made the comment that Joe quoted in his last post, that the appropriate agency to investigate the matter in the Bush Administration was the Justice Department. And what kind of investigation would the Dept. of Justice be conducting? A criminal one.

This is what Bush said on September 30, 2003:

On 9/30/03, Bush wrote:
THE PRESIDENT: Yes. Let me just say something about leaks in Washington. There are too many leaks of classified information in Washington. There's leaks at the executive branch; there's leaks in the legislative branch. There's just too many leaks. And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of.

And so I welcome the investigation.
I -- I'm absolutely confident that the Justice Department will do a very good job. There's a special division of career Justice Department officials who are tasked with doing this kind of work; they have done this kind of work before in Washington this year. I have told our administration, people in my administration to be fully cooperative.

I want to know the truth. If anybody has got any information inside our administration or outside our administration, it would be helpful if they came forward with the information so we can find out whether or not these allegations are true and get on about the business.

Yes, let's see, Kemper -- he's from Chicago. Where are you? Are you a Cubs or White Sox fan? (Laughter.) Wait a minute. That doesn't seem fair, does it? (Laughter.)

Q Yesterday we were told that Karl Rove had no role in it --

THE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Q -- have you talked to Karl and do you have confidence in him --

THE PRESIDENT: Listen, I know of nobody -- I don't know of anybody in my administration who leaked classified information. If somebody did leak classified information, I'd like to know it, and we'll take the appropriate action. And this investigation is a good thing.

And again I repeat, you know, Washington is a town where there's all kinds of allegations. You've heard much of the allegations. And if people have got solid information, please come forward with it. And that would be people inside the information who are the so-called anonymous sources, or people outside the information -- outside the administration. And we can clarify this thing very quickly if people who have got solid evidence would come forward and speak out. And I would hope they would.

And then we'll get to the bottom of this and move on. But I want to tell you something -- leaks of classified information are a bad thing. And we've had them -- there's too much leaking in Washington. That's just the way it is. And we've had leaks out of the administrative branch, had leaks out of the legislative branch, and out of the executive branch and the legislative branch, and I've spoken out consistently against them and I want to know who the leakers are.

So initially in this speech in 2003, Bush says, "And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of.." Later in his speech, he says, "If somebody did leak classified information, I'd like to know it, and we'll take the appropriate action." When he uttered the latter remark, he was still applying his prior statement that related to whether there was a violation of law involved. But someone looking at that speech the way you are, would insist that he was inconsistent even during his delivery of that short speech. After all, he first said he would "take care of" the person if they had "violated law," and he later said he'd "take appropriate action" if they "did leak classified information." I mean, he didn't qualify the latter remark with a requirement of a criminal conviction. You can interpret his remarks reasonably, or unreasonably.

What he did in his 2003 speech was set the bar about how he would deal with a leaker in his administration. He required there to be a violation of law. Then in 2004, when asked if he'd fire anyone found to have leaked Plame's identify, he said yes. Then when he clarified his position earlier this year, and made it clear he would require a showing there was a violation of law, that was entirely consistent with his initial position. He has been very clear on this subject on a couple of occasions, and he has clearly stated he requires a showing that a law has been violated. All you have to show for your counter argument is a brief response to a question posed to him. His specific responses where he has clearly stated he will require a showing that a law has been violated, control over the more ambiguous and vague.

Quote:
Language may not be important to lawyers where you work, but this'd be a slam dunk if I wanted to go after someone in discoveries here. As my favourite lawyer here (IRL) says, "If you/your company representative made both of these statements, and the evidence says that you did, I win."

Of course language is important. That is precisely why we are looking at language. But language is important for what it means, not what you want it to mean.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Do you remember when Mclellan told everyone that Karl Rove had personally informed him that he had nothing to do with the Plame matter?

That means that either:

Rove lied to Mclellan

or

Scotty lied to the pool.

You decide. But you can't f*cking weasel your way out of admitting that one of them was lying in this case.

Cycloptichorn

Maybe so. What's your point, Cyclo? Maybe McClellen lied ... maybe Rove lied. Do you know which one did? Neither do I. But I agree, it looks like one of them did. I'm sure there will be an explanation made one of these days ... probably after the Fitzgerald investigation is over, and we'll know then.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:03 pm
It's refreshing to see you actually refrain for once from explaining away every lie the Admin tells by using bullsh*t logic and word games, thanks.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:26 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's refreshing to see you actually refrain for once from explaining away every lie the Admin tells by using bullsh*t logic and word games, thanks.

Cycloptichorn

Well, it's refreshing to see you characterize something as a lie that actually resembles one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:29 pm
Fair enough, cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:48 pm
Another flip-flop, huh? Whoodathought...
0 Replies