Video card or driver doesn't support alpha blending

maxey13

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:43 pm
I am having a problem running Call Of Duty 2 with a RADEON 9700 TX . I get an error message Video card or driver doesn't support alpha blending.
Dell sent me what they say are the latest drivers but I saw they were from 2003. ATI has no support for the 9700 TX. I also have the latest direct x 9.0c. Any help please whether this card will run alpha blending?

Dennis
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 24,222 • Replies: 7
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 03:01 am
Don't have that video card, or that game, but I did some looking around. Wish I had better news for you, but it seems to me that particular card was a Dell-only OEM component, apparently a somewhat de-featured version of the ATI 9700 pro, which, 3 years ago, was a pretty good card.
Anyhow, you aren't the only one having problems with that card and some newer games and graphics applications, and there doesn't seem to be a fix or workaround, at least as far as I was able to find.

I sure hope you can come up with a better alternative, but rght now, I think mebbe its time to think about upgrading your video solutuin.
0 Replies

maxey13

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:33 am
I just got it going with the help of some other folks, I didnt realize the updated drivers were on the ATI site under Catalyst drivers and not under Radeon 9700tx. I download the new drivers and the game is off and running. Thanks for your reply.

Dennis
timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
Thats interesting - I've seen a good bit of commentary indicating the Catalyst drivers were problematic with the Dell-branded OEM 9700 card, and I didn't think recommending the update would do you much good. In my own experience, I once found a sound card hardware vendor's updated driver really screwed things up when applied in replacement of the proprietary Dell-branded drivers for that sound card's Dell-branded OEM version. I'm glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna chase this down a bit more.
0 Replies

redeye813

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:25 am
ati 9700tx trouble too!
Hi Maxey, I have the same video card and have been having the alpha blending problem with call of duty 2 as well. you said you figured it out by getting a driver off the ati website, the only catalyst driver i could find was catalyst 5.12 driver...is that it? and if so, can you tell me how you installed it to make it work? can you just run it and install it over what is already on there or do you have to go and delete the old drivers and then do it? i'm not sure on that so if you could help i would greatly appreciate it so I can get this game rollin! thanks!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:56 am
Generally, drivers may be updated by downloading them to a folder on your machine per the vendor's instructions, opening Device Manager, locating and highlighting or right-clicking the device to receive the updated drivers, selecting "Properties", selecting the "Driver" tab, clicking "Update Driver", and pointing the Update Driver Wizard to the folder containing the new drivers. No uninstallation of the existing drivers should be necessary, and the system should retain the ability to "Roll Back" to the previous driver version if the new one proves unsuitable.

The Catalyst 5.12 drivers are the latest ATI-supported XP drivers for the ATI 9700 series cards. Dell's Drivers Download page offers relatively recent (as late as September '05) driver updates for the Dell-Branded OEM version of the 9700-series card, for various specific Dell machines.

Neither ATI nor Dell recommend use of the Catalyst drivers with the Dell-branded version of the card, but if it works for you, it works for you; reports have been mixed, so far as I've seen. Your call if you have the Dell-branded card - prolly be a good idea to make sure you've got a backup of your currently installed Dell-proprietary drivers before installing the Catalyst drivers directly from ATI.
0 Replies

tufty

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:50 am
help plz
hey am tufty i am having problems with call of duty 2 it sends me a message when am click on the game fatel error ur computar dosnt support alpha bending i try and download castrol drivers but it says that i dont have the componants to install it or i new the right hardware or software will u plz help me !
0 Replies

RONALD7937

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 06:00 pm
@maxey13,
IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE WINDOWS XP ON ACER ASPIRE 5000 LAPTOP. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FIX!
0 Replies