Who is interested in Canadian wines? Who knew we made 'em?

cavfancier

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:20 pm
Umm, for those suggested, not much longer than a year. They are made for fairly quick consumption. Smile I could some info about any reserves that might be released this summer....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:21 pm
urgh, that is, 'get' some info
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 07:39 pm
cavfancier - today's Star had an interesting article where a sommelier matched fine wines with junk foods - any suggestions for the icewine?

as much as i'm not a wine drinker, i am interested in trying an ice wine.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:13 pm
Hi All,

Cav, I've only tried some of the Icewines (which I really liked), haven't had much else from Canada. My boss just built a new wine cellar for his house, and I've got to stock it. (2000 bottles Very Happy ) I think I'll have them bring in some of the wines you've mentioned for the blind tastings. It'll be fun to see the outcome!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:13 pm
ehBeth, sounds to me like a plea for readers...I wouldn't waste a good Icewine on junk food Confused However, if I was a sommelier and got a call from the Star to do a fluff piece like that for either pay, or a free plug, I would probably do it. Very Happy If you could post the link, I will forward it to my sommelier.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:14 pm
Jerry, my sommelier does private consulting for some very high-profile clients. If you want contact info, I will forward it to you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:20 pm
ehBeth, Icewine and junk food is an oxymoron. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:17 pm
There is a winery on the main street in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario where you can try several different types of ice wine for $15.00 I believe
that as you hold the wineglass in your hand,
the wine becomes warmer and releases different
"notes" such as blackberry or peach......These wines are very sweet....better forego dessert if you have ice wine....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:28 pm
I bought a pinot noir (I think it was a PN) from SW BC. It was pretty good. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the name of it.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:31 pm
after trying that vile stuff black velvet, i'm hesitant to try any other canadian liquor.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:17 pm
Doesn't black velvet also produce good vodka?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:03 pm
CANADIAN WINES
c.i. : here is a link to canadian wines. please note that at the bottom of the article it has a link to the WINEROUTE of the niagara area. ENJOY ! hbg >>> NIAGARA WINEROUTE
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:05 pm
That's a mighty expensive wine, I can get Australian dessert wines (the result of botrytis) a lot damn cheaper and a wider range. Not trying to top you fellahs, but it's a lot easier to do that sort of stuff in the sunshine. Handpicking sweet lumps of ice? Funny lot, you Canadians......
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:39 pm
i guess it's all a matter of taste ??? (questionable) apparently the japanese buyers can't get enough of the canadian icewine; but i understand that a can of SPAM (or a fancy melon) - nicely wrapped -is considered a really nice hostess gift in japan. as i said, it's all a matter of taste. (i do like a good bottle of GEWUERZTRAMINER from peele island - excellent body, in my opinion -; but there is a VERY LIMITED supply of it. it gets snapped up in a hurry, about canadian$ 10 a bottle.) hbg
0 Replies

pangolin

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:19 pm
I knew about Canadian Wines!
Shocked
There are not only good Canadian wines, there are great Canadian Wines! Peninsula Ridge Estates in the Niagara region has, for the last few years, been producing a "killer" sauvingon blanc. Gooseberry & grapefruit on the nose with good acidy, grassiness and yes, a touch of cat's pee on the palate. The trouble is, too many people know about this limited production wine, so if you don't get it at release time you are pretty much out of luck!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:27 pm
Thanks for the heads-up, pangolin.

And welcome to Able2Know!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:24 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Hmm, c.i., Toronto is close to Niagara, not a bad drive or you could take a train. My suggestion would be to go there for a tour. I can certainly get you a list, but if you want some wines that are uniquely Canadian, you may want to try Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir, a native hybrid grape, and another hybrid, Marechal Foch, which Inniskillin makes very well, especially the 'Old Vines' Foch. These reds are quite different from your average Cab, Merlot, Pinot varietals...a little foxy, a bit 'wild', with gobs of fruit and a backbone as well. Perfect for drinking now. Penninsula Ridge and Malivoire are two other up and coming Niagara wineries. Seeing as you will be here in the summer, the Malivoire 'Ladybug' Rose competes very well with the great dry roses of Tavel...sort of a dinner rose, but perfect for just sipping outside as well.

It's been a while since I've visited this thread of mine. Welcome pangolin! Interesting fact...this season, I've seen more half-bottles of Canadian wine for sale, most notabley, the Henry of Pelham Baco and the Chardonnay (I think). It could be partly because of a poor season, so 'sell what you have', but the wines are still very good. Penninusla Ridge does make a wicked Sauv, among other wines (I know someone who was a sales rep).
0 Replies

pangolin

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:28 pm
I think 1/2 bottles are a great idea, especially for those folks in restaurants who can't manage a full bottle. Fortunately or unfortunately for me I consider a 1/2 bottle an aperitif!!!

And I also knew someone who was a sales rep at Peninsula Ridge...S.S.?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 06:16 pm
Nope. T.W., not there anymore.
0 Replies

Maria121

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:28 am
@cavfancier,
I love wine. Though I've tasted French, Spain, Australian wines but never tasted the Canadian wine.
0 Replies