Microfiber upholstery: Is it any good?

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:23 pm
Really you guys think it looks dangerous?

It doesn't seem any more dangerous than any other coffee table.

I liked that it seems big (I'm waiting to hear back about how big it really is) because I thought it would make a great table for train tracks and other projects.

It also looks substantial enough to not get scooted all over the house like our punier table did.

Hmmmm.....

It doesn't look completely flat in that photo, does it? That will certainly be something to check.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:27 pm
Boomerang--

I'm a coward--but a coward who coped with hand-me-down, over-sized furniture in an apartment with small rooms.

Does your living room have space for clear walkways?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:40 pm
There isn't much in the room right now. The new sofa up against one wall and 5 bookshelfs up against another wall. That leaves me about 10x15 feet of nothing right in the middle of the room. The room is really open to the front of the house too so it seems like a really big space.

Once I find out how big the table is I'll have to do some measuring. Maybe lay out some paper in the table's dimensions to get an idea of how it would fit.

The fact that I haven't heard back yet makes me think the table is probably gone. They only wanted $70 for it so it might have been snatched up already.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:28 pm
150 square feet gives you some manuvering room. Still....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:16 pm
Our old table is 4x2 and it is swallowed up by the space.

I really want something tough and biggish would be okay. I don't think it is more than say 5x5 but I could be wrong. It's too bad they don't have anything to scale it to in the photo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
I like the table.

It would work well with some sorta Flintstone-y chairs I had made about 15 years ago. Nice and rugged. I like furniture that you can climb on <or at least that I can climb on>.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:53 pm
Here is the current scene in my house:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/jump.jpg

This is how a sofa becomes part of my family. I think I chose well on the sofa. The table needs to face he same sort of hazing.

I should probably care more about stuff.....

Truly I am not all Jetter Lester.

Or any of the kin.

I have not dragged the sofa over any tree stumps.

I like the table too. I still haven't heard back from the owner but I'm thinking they may be a night owl as their post was one of the last ones made before the clock ticked over to today. It may be gone. The hunt is half the fun though!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:59 pm
Just checked my mail.

Get this: it is only 4.5 by 1.5. I thought it was WAY bigger than that. That is smaller than the table I have now!

Hmmmm.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:19 pm
Hey!

It was kind of cool that Mo took all of the cushions off because there is a big thing sewn into the bottom telling me exactly how to care for the nubuck!

I had pulled up the back and ends but not the middle bottom cushion. Now I know how to tend to the thing!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:26 pm
I like the boomer-family-sofa-welcoming process Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:52 pm
T'were it only sofas.....

<sigh>

If you come see us we will pummel you while wearing only our underpants.

Some people like it; others are a bit taken aback.

(And people wonder why our "Welcome" mat says "Warning". They think it's a typo.

Silly people.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Mo may be a hardy fellow, but I can sense that creature lurching through cyberspace, headed for my shins.

This made me laugh for about five minutes.

Nah, more like ten.

I do like how it looks, weird that it's so small! Sure doesn't look it.

This could go on a few different threads (not momentous enough to start a new one), putting it here fairly arbitrarily -- just made another craigslist purchase!

http://a.im.craigslist.org/Hi/B8/rCYcNYrs4Nch4gKRTfe8uFQX0R6e.jpg

It's for sozlet, so she can really spread out and do her art 'n' stuff. She's had a little 2' x 2' table that just won't do, anymore. Plus, this has some storage. Most of her art stuff should fit in there.

I wanted something that wasn't a total eyesore but wasn't expensive enough that I'd freak if she messed it up. ('Cause 5-year-old [she's actually five now btw!] and art = messes.) This is not in perfect condition but it's solid wood, solidly built, Bombay Company, the gal said it was cherry. She said "make an offer", I said "well I don't want to totally lowball you, can you tell me roughly what you had in mind?" she said "$30?" I said "oh, great, I was thinking $25 [actually, I was thinking $50]", she said "sure", I said "sold".

It's not perfect but for $25 (wood! solid!) I love it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:20 am
Cool desk! I'll be she feels very grown up with her own desk.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
So nucklehead guy last night first sent me the wrong dimensions, then sent the right ones but regretted not asking for enough for it, then told me it was sold.

But I found this one today. It looks a little more Mission than Asian. It is 3.5x3.5. What do you think?

http://a.im.craigslist.org/Va/rL/P1PeShe7oVaVwbOhm0PerIDiPqKL.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:03 pm
Oooh!

It's pretty.

Mission/ Craftsman has lots of Asian influences, of course, not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The legs look more Asian.

Looks like it would be a good base for various Mo-stuff.

(So wait, the shin-devourer WAS much bigger after all?)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:50 pm
Honestly I don't know what was up with that guy last night.

He sent me the dinky dimensions and I wrote back saying that the table was a lot smaller than I thought. He wrote back saying the table was very big. I wrote back asking if he had misinformed me in his earlier post. He wrote back saying it was gone.

I've been waiting for him to repost it at a higher price because he was being all whiny about letting it go for too cheap.

I like this other table. Not as much as the first one but it's okay. For $50, I probably can't beat it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:51 pm
Would Mo fit between the stretchers and the tabletop?
If so, go for it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:55 pm
Check out what I found on there today for FREE:

http://b.im.craigslist.org/ED/F1/vJyN9NlxDkweIGT747tYOCgYCBBO.jpg

I sent an email to Mr. B. That would make a cool Christmas gift for Mo!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:57 pm
another view --

http://a.im.craigslist.org/jn/zf/SyGiLzdTsYQymXQsfpw5tdtV97Bp.jpg

http://a.im.craigslist.org/M8/Av/q0Fr13nP43eVL25ejLAaN1sJQ5iO.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:59 pm
Is it made out of pressure treated wood?

All of those units made out of pressure treated lumber have been removed from school yards cuz of fumes.
0 Replies