Microfiber upholstery: Is it any good?

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:00 pm
Ooh, I'd buy that.

Do you have any idea how good you have it, craigslist-wise? Go to the Columbus craigslist furniture listings sometime. We have something like 10% of the listings you have, if not more like 5%. I've looked at Portland craigslist a few times, and am amazed that the listings for a single day go on... and on... and on... (We typically have say 10 listings per day, period.)

Goes great with the walls.

Any story with the paintings above the couch?

A rug could funk things up considerably -- IKEA is pretty amazing there, too, IMO, especially in terms of a wide range of choices (oriental to modern design to solids to...)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:23 pm
Very good choice boomer. I love that sofa, and it looks
so comfortable and soft. It just fits perfect in your house with
the brown walls, and Mo likes it too.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:24 pm
It DOES go great with the walls.

I think it will grow on me. I had envisioned something different but I like it and it is just so comfortable.

The paintings behind the couch belonged to Mr. B's grandmother. I remember the second one from the right (middle in this photo) hanging in her house and I always loved it.

When she died everyone was considering what to do with them and I insisted that they be shipped to me instead of going to Goodwill. They are really very lovely. The names aren't familiar to me and I have never researched the artists, though chances are they are notable as she was very much a woman of the world (she lived in Mexico City, New York, Santa Barbara and Heidleberg, among other places) who hung out with a very artsy crowd.

I'm thinking the thing is basic enough to funk up with some cool textiles and other stuff. They are building an Ikea here but it won't be open til late next year.

The only other craigslist I've seen is for San Francisco which I log onto automatically for whatever reason. Porltand's looks paltry by comparison but I imagine it is pretty good overall. I'll look at some other cities to see what's what.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:06 pm
Ha! Yeah, Mo likes it except that I asked him not to eat his piece of pizza on it "just for tonight" and now he's mad.

I do hope it turns out to be a good choice. You would never guess it from that photo but my house is really kinda weird. If I could just get my wood floors (this is a total "physician heal thyself" issue around here) I would be well on my way to where I want to be.

Maybe we need a thread where people take pictures of their houses in little snippets. I wonder how people would like the monkey fabric wall in the kitchen....

or the nine layers of paint on the walls/kanji painting head-board and the burlap and many tasseled curtain/gold painted accesory decor of my bedroom....

or the tree bark thing over Mo's bedroom window.....

It would be very interesting to see people's houses, don't you think?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:21 pm
I have a few odd photos scanned and would put them on...
why don't you start a thread, Boomer?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:35 pm
Okay!

But first I want to photo some of my house's interior to kick things off -- so that people will get the gist of the thread.

I've never photographed my interior so that will be kind of a cool challenge all on it's own.

An assignment!

I might start on that tonight but I'm betting it will be tomorrow or Monday before I have a clear idea.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:46 pm
And I'll photo the interior of this place just before I leave, which I certainly hope is in about three weeks.
They will be somewhat different from my, to me, plangent photos of the house in Venice as I photo'd with tears running down my face, both a few weeks before leaving and the day I left. Those came out beautifully. But those aren't scanned, and won't be for, oh, a few months. And the ones of here won't be scanned for a while either. (I still haven't paid attention to my digital camera. I swear, I will soon, mebbe when I'm on the road.) But in the meantime, I've some photos of the murphy bed closet, and one of Pacco in the living room - those will give an idea. Speaking of traditional...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:26 pm
I love the "bits and pieces of our houses thread" idea!

I've long wanted to see that murphy bed closet, Osso.

(Dare I ask how house-selling is going?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:40 pm
Sucking in breath...

It's in escrow.
The inspection period has passed and so has it, with a slight blow, but ok. I am holding breath not least that nothing structural happens in the next, oh, twenty one days.
Still has to be appraised, realtor not worried.
Banking has to happen, I shouldn't be worried, the buyers are substantially familied...
But I won't relax until
until
until
will I ever relax?

I will have to start a thread about new worries - I have major stupid questions about matters related to being unattached to my dsl line, my email address, ohgodohgodohgogagamungamog.

I'm presently hurling away whole sections of my long saved landarch plans and papers. Hey, they can't bleed a turnip; rolling up painting canvases after taking them off stretchers... failing to throw away old beginning drawings (while I hurl whole sets of housing tract plans).
All very interesting. Requires loud music (deAndre's Mi Innamoravo di Tutto) and A2k being on the computer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:42 pm
Hey, that sounds promising!!

I'll do some fingercrossing for ya, got used to it on for the Mo/ Thanksgiving thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:46 pm
Thank you. Cross your toes too, please.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:57 pm
Crossing being done here too. Makes it hard to walk but anything for our dear osso.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
Okey dokey!

The thread for photos of your house: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1692532#1692532
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 03:59 pm
Osso--

Hold your dominion.

I hate paring possessions to a deadline. Remember, you are a woman with a large soul and your soul will not diminish even if you make a dozen errors in discarding.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:48 pm
OK, I will.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
Now I have my eye on this:

http://b.im.craigslist.org/aK/4H/moVecmj8SVfJJX5K1NnPkAwKc2EJ.jpg

I like the Asian lines and think it would mix up good with the sofa.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:19 am
Yeah!

Would those corners be just too Mo-gouging?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:49 am
No gougier than the rest of the world, I don't suppose. He's a fairly hardy sort!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:59 pm
I agree with Sozobe--Asian lines or no, that is one carnivorous piece of furniture which will only be placated with weekly inflictions of blood and bruises.

Mo may be a hardy fellow, but I can sense that creature lurching through cyberspace, headed for my shins.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 02:08 pm
Hmmm, I like it...

can't quite tell if the surface is flat...
0 Replies