U.S.: foundations of a totalitarian government- in progress

englishmajor

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:57 pm
flushd wrote:
Well, it is of interest where someone grew up. And what country they are from. It gives some context to their comments.

English, you are living on a northern B.C. reserve now? Okay. Yes, I know what freezing weather is like. Laughing I personally love it! I also find it interesting that you are living on a res. I'm sure your own personal history and ideas would fascinate me, but this is not the place to ask you all those q's eh?! Razz

Have you checked out http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ ?
It is a political forum I think you would enjoy.
cheers!

Very Happy

I don't mind answering questions. It's not that fascinating, though!

Drove through Manitoba and camped somewhere there on our way to Nova Scotia several years ago, just to see Canada. It was summer, though and quite warm. Canada is one interesting, beautiful country from coast to coast. We made it all the way to PEI (which I liked) but missed the Newfies because of time restraints. I do want to see Newfoundland some day. There's just SO much of Canada, compared to the States!

We do not live on the Reserve since we've gotten our PR cards earlier this year. We have had a home in BC for 10 years near Vancouver, that we of course could only visit every 6 mos. Now we get to live in our dreamhome all the time. The weather is great here; I like misty/rainy/cool days. Much like my childhood in S. Francisco. We kayak even when it's cold. Boating in the summer, hiking all the time. There is so much to do in this province, it's amazing.

You like cold weather eh? I guess you would have to, living there! I never got used to having to put on so many clothes just to go out for a minute, as well as plug in my car. And, you really can't spend any time outside when it's minus 35. Never had my nose hairs freeze before! It was an interesting experience living there but I would not do it again. We were 500 km from the nearest town. Actually we were 500-800 km from anything. Bit too remote for me. One sad thing I discovered is that the First Nations people shoot dogs on Reserves - they think it controls populations. We found lots of starved puppies and frozen to death dogs. Being an animal lover, that was hard. But when we left we took (dognapped) a few dogs with us, adopted a few out and kept one, who's a real sweetie.

What do you do there in the winter? Do you ski? I'm hearing about bike skiing now. Sounds fun. We did snowshoe a lot on the Reserve. Not much snow here at sea level. Our American friends can't understand that we're not running around in parkas all the time :wink:
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:04 pm
flushd wrote:
Yeah, goodfielder Smile

We've got a lot of names for this joint. And people love to talk about the weather. As I type, it is a winter wonderland outside.

What's it like right now in your neck of the woods? :wink:

It was a bit humid and overcast this morning flushd - but now the sun's coming out and it should be in the low 20s which is a nice pleasant day. My hay fever is giving me hell though.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 05:27 am
Re: U.S.: foundations of a totalitarian government- in progr
englishmajor wrote:
Published on Monday, November 14, 2005 by CommonDreams.org
Losing Habeas Corpus - "A More Dangerous Engine of Arbitrary Government"
by Thom Hartmann

About a year ago, an op-ed article on Al Jazeerah's website by Fawaz Turki titled "For Bush, A Hot Line To Churchill" opened by noting that Tony Blair had given George W. Bush a bust of Winston Churchill, which sits in Bush's Oval Office. Turki then quotes Churchill:

"The power of the executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment of his peers, is in the highest degree odious, and the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist."

The oldest human right defined in the history of English-speaking civilization is the right to challenge that "power of the executive" through the use of habeas corpus laws. Habeas corpus is roughly Latin for "hold the body," and is used in law to mean that a government must either charge a person with a crime or let them go free.

And last week, U.S. Senate Republicans (with the help of five Senate Democrats) passed a bill that would begin to take down that right.

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, in proposing the legislation, said, "It is clear to me from Abu Ghraib backward, forward, and other things we know about, that at times we have lost our way in fighting this war." Few would disagree. "What we are trying to do in a series of amendments," Graham added, "is recapture the moral high ground and provide guidance to our troops."

But destroying habeas corpus will not "recapture the moral high ground" or "provide guidance for our troops." It may, however, throw our troops (and citizens) into a living hell if they're captured by other governments that have chosen to follow our example.

This attack on eight centuries of English law is no small thing. While their intent was to deny Guantanamo Bay Concentration Camp detainees the right to see a judge or jury, it could just as easily extend to you and me.

Sheesh!

The Geneva Conventions allow lawful enemy combatants to be detained until the end of the war.

And they allow unlawful enemy combatants to be detained incommunicado until the end of the war.

Criminal charges have nothing to do with it.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:54 pm
englishmajor wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
What happened to the Booty Babe in the fishnets?

Whoa!

Now Englishmajor is all cosmic like.

Ooohhhhh, Finn. I'm so disappointed in you. Didn't you read the article? Think it might give you nightmares?

Yeah, I like being all cosmic. Those fishnets were uncomfortable.

Did you read Lord Ellpus' reply to me? He is right, you know. Red herrings will get you nowhere.

Now Englishmajor is all phallic like.

As an aside - Your over-the-top attempts at baiting Americans with outrageous anti-American comments are so obvious and tiresome that I'm afraid I don't actually read what you post, I only watch your changing icons. I prefer, I must admit, Fishnet Booty Girl. The implications of this new one are disturbing.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:53 pm
I just can't wait until they start the American version of the SS. I'm all over that.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:48 am
englishmajor wrote:
They will believe that they are a superpower, right up until the end. (Like Rome, eh?)

Very profound point. I've got absolutely no doubt, that the US will be the first of the democracies who's society will collapse into complete anarchy. It might take 10 years, or 200, but it will happen.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 07:43 am
Wilso wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
They will believe that they are a superpower, right up until the end. (Like Rome, eh?)

Very profound point. I've got absolutely no doubt, that the US will be the first of the democracies who's society will collapse into complete anarchy. It might take 10 years, or 200, but it will happen.

Everything collapses in time.

The Romans were imperial in scope for about 750 years (late republic through Justinian).

Let's see if we can match them. Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:28 am
englishmajor

I'm living in manhattan now, but I'm from Chilliwack. Where you at?
0 Replies