It's summer camp, summer camp, sum sum summer camp

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:02 pm
@OGIONIK,
i wish i could join again, but there was a lot of homosexuals in it and made me uncomfortable..

is there anything like that for adults? but not as , umm, nerdy?

oh my god, not that they were gay! dont get me wrong, it was their way of hitting on kids, and they were like 18, some like 24-25.... i was like 15, it felt weird as ****. i never let myself be alone..
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:02 pm
@OGIONIK,
hrm , i think i just thought of something..

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:14 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
...is there anything like that for adults?...

Probably Outward Bound (Google it).
0 Replies

burntoutteacher

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:02 am
@jespah,
Hi Jespah, I found your posting when I googled camp ben-ann. I went there in the mid 60's for just one summer. Was your great uncle a DJ? I seem to remember that that was the buzz. His daughter (your cousin?) was at camp with us then but I think she was in a younger bunk. I knew the nurse and her daughter.
burntoutteacher
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:46 am
@jespah,
I once attended a camp in Arizona
with gunnery practice and horseback riding.

David
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 01:12 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Damn, Gargamel. Great story though/ good material.

So this experience did seem to lend itself well to storytelling. I recently shared it at a local event, for those of you who have 10 minutes:

http://soundcloud.com/best-foul-ball-catcher-ev/the-baby-club
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 01:20 pm
@Gargamel,
well worth ten minutes, kool-aid...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 02:40 pm
"O brave new world that has such people in it." Completely foreign ground to me. I spent a good deal of my childhood in the woods (sometimes deep, usually not so deep). I never attended a summer camp, though.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 03:38 pm
Summer camp? Me? Never been. Was too scared, shy, and timid to go while my siblings went to their respective camps for at least a couple of years each.

Had the house mostly to myself those days. And I do wonder what it would be like if my parents had forced me to go. They probably didn't as it was one less tuition or whatever to pay.
jespah

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 07:49 am
@tsarstepan,
My camp experiences were all over the place. The one that my great-uncle owned has a huge, thriving Facebook community now. I have no idea what most of those people are talking about. They seem to have had a lot of fun.

The smaller one I went to also has an FB community, albeit a much smaller one (it was a far smaller camp). There, I do know what we're all talking about. There is a lotta frizzy hair and John Stockton shorts in the pics. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 09:44 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Summer camp? Me? Never been. Was too scared, shy, and timid to go while my siblings went to their respective camps for at least a couple of years each.
I went 1ce, when I was 11,
being attracted by its horseback riding and abundant gunnery practice.
1ce was enuf. I was glad to get home.

tsarstepan wrote:
Had the house mostly to myself those days. And I do wonder what it would be like if my parents had forced me to go. They probably didn't as it was one less tuition or whatever to pay.
In my childhood, I had a lot of time with the house to myself.
U have a lot of autonomy. I had that anyway.
How did u feel about it?

David
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 10:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
On the one hand, being alone help me become independent and self reliant but on the other hand, being alone a lot and not going to camp probably didn't help my sorely lacking social skills.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 10:27 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
On the one hand, being alone help me become independent and self reliant but on the other hand, being alone a lot and not going to camp probably didn't help my sorely lacking social skills.
How old were u at that time? A child?
When we dined at the Lasagna Restaurant,
I saw nothing rong with your social skills. U seemed like a normal New Yorker.

Do u wanna join us in attending the Palm II Restaurant
on 2nd Avenue on Wednesday evening, for dinner with the O. M. SIG?

David
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 10:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That was 30something years ago. I have learned to grow and adapt over the timespan regardless of the lack of camping experience in that period.
0 Replies

mseda

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:08 pm
@jespah,
I too went to Cony Grant over the same period as you. It was one of the most wonderful and memorable experiences. Living in tents, hike up Mount Katahdin, swimming at the grotto…What a joy. It’s a shame CGFP had to close.
jespah

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 05:12 pm
@mseda,
Holy cow. I just sent you a note. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 05:39 pm
I didn't go to summer camp (I think of that as my neighborhood street in Evanston, circa late 1950 to mid 1955). That's when this only child learned how to play.. it was a really good neighborhood street, and I don't mean rich, I mean the people. I was nine to thirteen. One particular family (4 daughters surrounding my age) were open to my doing things with them. Bless you, all Hennessy girls (now old women as am I), and two other neighborhood girls.

However, I did go on a camping (so called) weekend, with the girl scout troop. I learned to make pancakes on the top of a coffee can with a candle under it. And a few other things I'll not mention much, something about one of the campers showing us the results of menstruation.
0 Replies