Say it ain't so, Theo!

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:27 pm

bummer...

Epstein resigns as general manager of the Red Sox

BOSTON (AP) -- At 31, boy wonder Theo Epstein was ready to step out on his own.

The Red Sox general manager walked away from his hometown team on Monday, stunning Boston and the baseball world just one year after helping the franchise win its first World Series championship since 1918.

"I gave my entire heart and soul to the organization," Epstein said in a statement. "During the process leading up to today's decision, I came to the conclusion that I can no longer do so. In the end, my choice is the right one not only for me but for the Red Sox."

Epstein will continue working for a few days to assist in the transition and prepare for the offseason. The Boston Herald, which first reported the news on its Web site, said the Yale graduate has told associates that he might leave baseball, or at least take a year off.
(article)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,385 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:28 pm
eeyep.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:30 am

i think he's holding a news conference in 30 minutes...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:13 pm
Per SI:
Quote:
Epstein is not walking up to that microphone and doing a reversal of fortune today, announcing he's actually going to return after all. No. Way. Barring Larry Lucchino's ability to pry Kevin Towers from the San Diego Padres -- thus opening the door for Epstein to take on the operations in Southern California -- Boston's next general manager likely consists of one of Peter Woodfork or Jed Hoyer, provided Josh Byrnes doesn't take the opportunity to recruit his Fenway brothers in arms to join him in Arizona. Pat Gillick is off to Philadelphia. Gerry Hunsicker to Tampa Bay. Bill James? Mike Gimbel?

I'm waiting for the conference to start now. Oy.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:17 pm

from the conference --
Quote:
Q: Theo when you came here three years ago, obviously with high expectations, Â…basically I think everybody would like to know from your standpoint what happened here and why are you no longer the general manager of the Boston Red Sox?

Well what happened, to answer your question broadly, is I think we had a lot of success as an organization together over the last three years and we did a lot of great things together that no one can ever take away from us that we're proud of, that we're proud that we feel that together we really came through for the fans and for each other and so that stands on its own and that doesn't disappear at all with me leaving.

The Red Sox remain a very, very strong franchise, with very sound leadership, and we'll be stronger going forward. As I said in the statement, in the end, this is a job you have to give your whole heart and soul to, you have to devote yourself to completely. You have to believe in every aspect of it. And in the end, after a long period of reflection about myself and the organization, and the time, I decided I could no longer put my whole heart and soul into it.

(transcript)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:25 am

in hind sight, i don't think he ever actually left the club...

Prodigal son returns
Former GM Epstein rejoining Red Sox in full-time role

BOSTON (AP) -- The door was ajar, and Theo Epstein finally walked through it and back into the front office of the Boston Red Sox.

The most successful general manager in franchise history will rejoin the Red Sox baseball operations department in a full-time -- but otherwise unspecified -- position. His long-rumored return comes 2 1/2 months after he fled Fenway Park in a gorilla suit.

"As you know, we have spoken frequently during the last 10 weeks," the team and Epstein said in a joint statement on Thursday night. "We have engaged in healthy, spirited debates about what it will take over the long-term for the Red Sox to remain a great organization and, in fact, become a more effective organization in philosophy, approaches and ideals.

"Ironically, Theo's departure has brought us closer together in many respects, and, thanks to these conversations, we now enjoy the bonds of a shared vision for the organization's future that did not exist on Oct. 31. With this vision in place, Theo will return to the Red Sox in a full-time baseball operations capacity, details of which will be announced next week."

(complete article)
0 Replies