Art Prints: M. & B. Inc., N.Y./Wedgefield Pictures

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:32 pm
I recently purchased a print of an old man with a white beard, a red cap, and he's smoking a pipe. The print has the words "M. & B. Inc., N.Y." in the lower left-hand corner. The back has a stamp that reads "Wedgfield Pictures, Stock No. 2/65". The signature of the artist is a script, but I cannot read it. I have the original oil painting of this white-haired man although it is a slightly different pose and he has no pipe. I have been trying to find out who painted it and when for quite some time. Any help in researching this print, the publisher, or the painting would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 35,665 • Replies: 25
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:15 pm
Post a picture.

http://www.2000greetings.com/wtichchild.jpg
jenash712

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:45 pm
M & B Inc NY
We recently received a copy of print of a watercolor of an old man, bearded, wearing a blue hat and has a red scarf. On the right hand side corner is Copyright M & B Inc NY and it is signed on the left "E Tiorentino". Haven't been able to find anything about artist and wondered if you had learned anything in response to you query.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:06 am
The only Google search that relinquished any lead to the artist may be the only reference other than getting an accredited appraiser to place a value on your pieces which would be likely cost you $ 800.00 or more. According to the live auction, the piece shown isn't a print but an original in the range of $ 500.00, so it doesn't appear to be worth it on only a print:

Link to live auction E Tiorentino
0 Replies

Pea Eye

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 09:01 pm
We too have this prints. They are obviously mass produced, and we've spent years asking, searching etc. and have come up emtpy handed. Ours were purchased in 1973 in an antique shop in Galena, Ill. for $10 each.
0 Replies

rotello

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@texlatex,
I also purchased what appears to be the same picture, old man white beard, red cap smoking a pipe. Artist signature on right bottom looks to be E. Tiorentino. At the same time I also purchased a matching picture of an old woman, red head scarf but different artist by name of Sydney Bell. I picked them up for $25.00 for both framed. The backing is in tact and I haven't pulled it off to see the back of prints. I picked these up because they are similar to two pictures I have of my inlaws which are both by E. Tiorentino which have on right bottom M & B Inc. NY in lower right corner. These two pictures have been framed by my inlaws and are of better quality than the other two that I bought...The colors are crips and clear and the man has a white beard, blue cap and red scarf. The woman has a red hat, blue scarf...facial details are wonderful. Iwas told that my father-in-law's older brother brought them back from Italy when he returned from serving in Italy in WWII. I have also tried to find out something about the artist but have come up with just this site.
0 Replies

Moosie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:35 pm
@texlatex,
I also have this painting. Was just wondering if it's valuable or not?
0 Replies

Moosie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 03:48 pm
@texlatex,
I just noticed on the back of the framed picture is an oval with this notation:
Artistic Pictures (It's not totally clear) #440 or 4401 and on bottom of the oval it says CANADIAN MADE. I have the man and female, and yes both done by different artists. Both are wearing red caps. I have not opened up the backs either lol. I'd like to find out more about them also if anyone can tell me. Thanks.
0 Replies

Semi Retired Grandpa

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 04:15 pm
@texlatex,
We too have both pictures - the old man with white beard & red hat smoking a pipe and the old lady wearing a red scarf. Both are framed and have the number 3139 stamped on the back. Both have the M & B INC NY on the bottom left with the artist on the bottom right. The old lady artist appears to be Sydney Be?? - can't read the name on the old man. I believe these came from my grandmother who came to the US from Canada in the 1920's.
0 Replies

rosalee2

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 08:56 am
@AngeliqueEast,
I live in Montreal and found in the trash the same painting the old man with a pipe and red hat, I quess it was mass produced but would like to know how much its worth.
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 11:02 am
@rosalee2,
It's worth virtually nothing.
0 Replies

eb2325

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:15 am
I also have the same prints. The old man with the red cap smoking a pipe and the old woman with the red scarf over her head. Mine are in pretty rough shape. Would anyone be willing to sell me there copies, or know where I might find them? E-mail me at [email protected]
0 Replies

P C Jackson

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:09 am
@texlatex,
I have an old print with same indication in left hand corner but also has the artist's name "Packer" who was a well know illustrator but the print is now faded. As a child in the 1930's the picture hung over my grandmother's mantle. This picture is of romantic domed gondola with classic background.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:37 pm
Unfortunately, these old prints are rudimentary metal plate lithography on non-archival papers which will have changed color and faded with age. The only thing that might be worth anything is if it were framed in an expensive (for the time) antique frame, which I really doubt but it's possible. It's the same with a modern giclee which is just another method of reproduction but the heirs will have to wait over a hundred years for the custom framing to be considered an antique. Add to that fact that these frames are made from mass produced moldings which are mitered and joined by hand but will then be an odd size, and the print inside which is probably reproduced on acid-free paper, board or canvas could still be virtually worthless. It's mainly because there is a glut on the market of this junk decorative art marketed in mall galleries and these artists are never going to be in museums.
0 Replies

Magsart

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 06:47 pm
@texlatex,
Its been many years since your post but I also have the same picture. Have you had any success in finding the artist or worth of this art?
boatpic

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:58 am
@Magsart,
i got the same one with packer on the right and m&b on the left.its apic of a old man with beard sittingin the back of the boat with a royal couple in it
dali67

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 06:36 pm
@boatpic,
...We're not all passing around the same prints/paintings are we? lol
I just purchased the same paintings(?) (looks kind of like watercolor; fairly rough condition due to materials used. Obviously older. Does anybody know any more yet?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 07:18 pm
@dali67,
http://able2know.org/topic/61617-1#post-3319890

This is the person on a2k who knows the most about the print market, such as it is, and he doesn't answer posts much any more.

You can look up others of his posts by looking up at the navy blue band at the top of the screen, clicking on search, and then filling in the name Lightwizard. His posts will then show up. He will talk about other prints, on other threads; he has a good grasp of the print industry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 07:19 pm
@dali67,

This is the person on a2k who knows the most about the print market, such as it is, and he doesn't answer posts much any more.

You can look up others of his posts by looking up at the navy blue band at the top of the screen, clicking on search, and then filling in the name Lightwizard. His posts will then show up. He will talk about other prints, on other threads; he has a good grasp of the print industry.
0 Replies

Laurie Wier

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:20 pm
The artist is Antonio Enrico FIORENTINO. He was an Italian artist, 1864-1962. I have one of these prints also.
0 Replies