Arella Mae

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 01:01 am
I will admit I haven't read this entire thread so if I am repeating something said earlier I apologize.

Actually, I don't think the brand of rice makes all that much difference. I believe it is all in how you cook the rice. I absolutely cannot stand mushy or clumpy rice and it seems that is the only kind I knew how to make for years. Then someone gave me the ultimate secret to cooking perfect rice.

When the water starts to boil and before you actually put the rice in the water, put in a capful of white distilled vinegar in the water. Your rice will be perfect no matter how many times you stir it while it's cooking. It seems too much stirring without the vinegar really causes mushy rice. The individual kernels of rice are firm and tasty. There is absolutely no taste of vinegar! I have found this to be probably the best kitchen secret ever!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:48 pm
I've never rinsed rice, brown or white. I have glanced in it looking for foreign objects though.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 05:04 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I will admit I haven't read this entire thread so if I am repeating something said earlier I apologize.

Actually, I don't think the brand of rice makes all that much difference. I believe it is all in how you cook the rice. I absolutely cannot stand mushy or clumpy rice and it seems that is the only kind I knew how to make for years. Then someone gave me the ultimate secret to cooking perfect rice.

When the water starts to boil and before you actually put the rice in the water, put in a capful of white distilled vinegar in the water. Your rice will be perfect no matter how many times you stir it while it's cooking. It seems too much stirring without the vinegar really causes mushy rice. The individual kernels of rice are firm and tasty. There is absolutely no taste of vinegar! I have found this to be probably the best kitchen secret ever!

Adding a pich of half tspoon of salt in rice in boiling water can also make it look glossy and polished. The same boiled Water can be used to make clear vegetable soup.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 08:09 am
I have a number of chinese cookbooks. One of them recommended a different way of cooking rice and I've been using it for years. Wash the rice to get rid of some of the starch, Use a 3-to-2 ratio of water to rice instead of the traditional 2-to-1. I usually use 2/3cup rice and 1cup cold water for four servings, or 2cups rice and 3cups water if I want leftovers. Bring the rice/water to a boil and keep uncovered on high heat until the visible water has all boiled away and only steam vents (holes) remain in the surface of the rice. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 12 minutes. Delicious chinese-style rice without a rice cooker.

The trick is to use a big enough pan because the water bubbles up while it's boiling hard. I use a 2-qt saucepan for 2/3cup rice and a 3-qt saucepan for 2cups rice.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 09:42 am
vinsan,

Wow! I did notice that with the vinegar the rice isn't shiny like it used to be. So, I am going to add the salt too.

Great idea about using the water to make the soup!
0 Replies