Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:59 pm
I'd never given much thought to rice until my nephew was here about a year ago and we cooked Japanese food whereupon he commented that "this is the best rice I've ever had".

Not long ago I was having dinner at someone else's house and they served rice that was completely bland and totally flavorless. Plus, it didn't clump together at all -- it was all seperate pieces of rice.

I buy Niko Niko Calrose Rice and I must say that I am quite satisfied with my rice.

What kind of rice do you like best?

I'm thinking maybe I'm missing out on an even better rice.

Do tell!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,672 • Replies: 44
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:02 pm
I really like the rices packaged by a company called, I think, Lotus foods.

It's expensive, but oh, so good. They package a red bhutan rice, a black "forbidden" rice, and a small white italian rice.

Here's a link for the red rice, will be back with more.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:07 pm
I went out for Indian lunch buffet with a friend yesterday.
They had a really good basmati rice - that wasn't stuck together at all - all individual rice grains. She wasn't used to rice prepared like that - had to adjust to it.

Chinese restos tend to serve a type of rice that sticks together more - which is all right when I'm having Chinese food - but I prefer the individual grains.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:12 pm
Sorry, no link in my last post -

here's the lotus foods link; click on the bags of rice for more about them...

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/lotus/home.d2w/report
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:12 pm
Basmati rice is pretty good. It generally costs a bit more...you will pay less at a bulk food store.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:16 pm
I use different rice sorts for different dishes.
Risotto rice- round grain
Basmati - for Indian/ Pakistani dishes
Wild rice - long, black and brown grains going with meat
just rice for stuffing vegetables.
Except risotto and milk rice dishes the rice shouldn't stick together for my taste.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:19 pm
Ooh, those lotus rice links have lots of recipes...

some rices are stickier than others, more surface starch I think... I seem to remember rinsing japanese cal-rose rice.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:22 pm
When I think about it -- I don't like rice that sticks together when eating Mexican food. When I cook it at home I never really serve rice with it though.

When I have rice as a side dish I like it to be clumpy.

Tonight I'm making gumbo and I like my rice to be clumpy for gumbo but for lighter soups seperate is better.

I might need to stock my pantry with some of these other varieties.

Thank you all for your rice advice!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:23 pm
I prefer brown rice because its got more tooth to it. For white rice I like Jasmine rice. I think that is the typical Chinese restaurant rice. It's quite soft and a little sticky.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:20 pm
Oh yeah! Brown rice is great. Besides the fact that it is marketed as a healthier alternative* it really does taste great. I like the chewier texture - the white rice I buy is kind of like brown rice in that regard.

*My Asian neighbors (lots of them) think that the current aversion to white rice as being unhealthful is the funniest thing they've ever heard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:29 pm
I sooooooooo wish someone at a2k would try the Red Bhutanese rice sometime... it's texture is wonderful and taste is wonderful..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:33 pm
I will look for it, I promise, osso.

Is it packaged by Lotus foods? I know I see their products at the grocery. We also have a huge Japanese supermarket here that sells a million kinds of rice.

What would be ideal to serve with Red Bhutanese rice?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:50 pm
Yes, Boomer, lotus foods. They have it at my co-op...

The link where I posted above has a photo of about six types of rice in packages. Click on each of the "bags" to see appropriate recipes for the different rices.. I think the Bhutan red is second from the left - just the titles of the recipes have got me going...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:16 pm
I live in Podunk, Osso. I'll look for it the next time I go to the big city, though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:31 pm
I sort of live in Podunk too, but the company is more local to me. I hear that Whole Foods carries their stuff.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:49 pm
I use the Mahatma line. White, saffron, wild and dirty.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:01 pm
Ooh, there's a great idea for a new rice mix, eoe. "Wild and dirty rice"!

I only use white rice for jambalaya. Other than that I cook brown rice because I like the texture.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:01 pm
As to ideal with red rice? mmm, a steak?

I don't eat all so much meat any more.. but it is good with steak, which I crave when it is cold and rainy..

I have toyed with the red rice a bit, using red onion, and red chard, and hot spicy sausage. I wouldn't call it delicate, it is sort of there, in your face. It would probably hold up to veggies with character, like broccoli..
I started a thread on it some time ago, hoping people would post ideas of what would go with it, but I guess no one had experience with it.

I'm more into our coastal fish these days, since I am probably moving inland and want to take advantage while I'm here. So tonight I had plain dreamy fresh halibut (marsala and lemon and capers and garlic and olive oil) with a plate of fresh roasted sweet red peppers... no rice or potatoes or noodles. Man, that's good.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:02 pm
What's a good rice to use to make fried rice?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:07 pm
Anybody know? I'm thinking jasmine..
0 Replies