Putting It All Together,..Entertaining,..Sensibly and Simply

JerryR

Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:11 pm
Hi All!!!

I'm back, and a LOT more relaxed!!! Laughing

{{{{TERRYDOO}}}}

OK,..so the parents 50th Anniversary was a big success!! Very Happy

Here's the low down:

I was a bit apprehensive about the hall (I'm not a snob,...REALLY).
The hall is a fireman's post,..much like a VFW Post. There's nothing wrong with that, they just need alot to make them look festive, and a bit more elegant.

So for 100 people, we had 10 tables of ten people each. Since my parents had a spring wedding, and used ALL of the spring colors, I opted to rent pastel overlays for all of the tables. We mixed up the colors so some of the tables were lavender, some peach and some pale green. This brought ALOT of life to the hall. My florist friend did arrangements for all of the tables, all mixed colors, all very pretty. I mentioned earlier that we used those "English Party Crackers" as favors, we filled them with gold foil wrapped chocolates, some wedding bubbles and a thank you note,....the crackers were made from gold foil. So with the colored tablecloths, the flowers, the favors and some votive candles, the tables looked really nice.

I made the cake, had some fun with it,...it was a deep, fudgy chocolate espresso cake, with mocha buttercream, I covered it in dark chocolate ganache,..then gilded it with edible gold dust.

I thought it would be nice to involve the guests, especially those invited who couldn't make it, so I included a blank scrap book page with all of the invitations. They all sent them back with some great pictures, stories and such. We put them in a beautiful book, which we kept on the reception table so all could see it as they came in.

We also made a video slide show of my parents, family and friends, which we kept running on a big screen tv near the bar.

The food, which I was kind of scared about, was basic wedding roast chicken, roast beef, vegetables and salad. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality,....I ate it, and liked it.

The service was great, the hall very professional.

I am very happy at the way it turned out, and more importantly, my parents and their guests were thrilled. Very Happy
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:53 pm
{{{{{JERRY!}}}}}

I'm thrilled to hear everything went well. Sorry to have missed the after (impromptu) birthday celebration, though. I hope that went just as well.

Typical wediing food sounds like the perfect dish for an anniversary.
0 Replies

JerryR

Mon 2 Jun, 2003 10:09 pm
Thanks Terry,

The after party was fun,..we missed you!

Here's a few pictures from the day:

(kudos to quinn for the great photography!! Very Happy )

This is the reception area, with scrap book and guest book:

http://bostonabuzzers.homestead.com/reception.jpg

Here's the tables:

http://bostonabuzzers.homestead.com/table.jpg

And the cake:

http://bostonabuzzers.homestead.com/cake.jpg
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Tue 3 Jun, 2003 05:51 am
Wow!

Jerry - looks great. I'm very happy that it all worked out so well.

KP
0 Replies

bigdice67

Tue 3 Jun, 2003 06:56 am
That looks awesome Jerry! Glad to see you back on track! I missed ya!
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:32 am
The hall looks terrific, but that cake is amazing. You deserve a standing ovation for that alone. I loved the scrapbook idea when you first told me about it; I still do. It's not only something your parents can treasure, but a piece of family history.
0 Replies

quinn1

Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:45 am
hey, the pics did turn out okay..phew.
Gotta say..as one who has many of the in house caterers..they did a good job..and no Jerry..you're not a snob...worry about the firemans hall is NORMAL Wink
It was a lovely affair though, and just goes to show what you can do.
0 Replies

jaxcaterer1

Fri 26 Dec, 2014 12:10 am
@JerryR,
Great thread.. i just want to add during this festive season you can turn your backyard to a party zone with tasty barbeques and decent lighting.
0 Replies

tumbochka

Sat 25 Mar, 2023 02:34 pm
@TerryDoolittle,
hello i have super cool idea
0 Replies